Kwikset Obsidian Door Lock

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:14 am
BenHM4590 offline

Kwikset Obsidian Door Lock

Greetings,
Just installed my first Kwikset Obsidian door lock on my garage. Please Note I'm working with an Aeotec Z-stick 5.

Initiating inclusion from the Indigo UI would not work, possibly due to range or steel siding on house and garage. I used the Aeotec instructions, remove and bring the Z-stick close to the target, press it's button, then hit the button on the target. Inclusion successful.

This apparent success won't work. This method is unencrypted inclusion. The Obsidian locks require encrypted connections. As far as I can tell, the only way to do this is through the UI. Noting my previously mentioned range issues, I brought the lock to Indigo. Success, the phase 2 synching log is incredibly detailed, listing all the details about the lock.

My lesson, YMMV: Obsidian locks work, but encrypted inclusion must be initiated from the Indigo UI.

Now I just need to get rid of my siding... (Joke: I have a lot of relaying-devices, garage coverage works.)

Posted on
Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:54 pm
cjp767 offline

Re: Kwikset Obsidian Door Lock

I appreciate the heads up--- I'm finally migrating my house locks (Kwikset 910 z-wave) from Vera to Indigo since the Vera plugin will likely not work in the next version of Indigo. Yes, I've procrastinated, but my philosophy has been: "if it works, don't mess with it."

I'm also using an Aeotec Z-stick 5.

One of my locks is close enough to the computer to be included and sync with encryption enabled, and all is well. The others are not close enough-- and I have 5 others. I tried holding the Z-stick close to a lock like the OP and got the same result-- Indigo added the lock and synced it perfectly, but it wouldn't actuate. It likely synced unencrypted. It looks like I need to either move the Indigo computer close to the door locks or disassemble the door locks and move the pieces close to the Indigo computer.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? This could be painful.

Posted on
Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If you've got some plug-in Z-Wave modules, you can move them such that they are physically between the Mac and the lock, resync them once you move them (to correct the network paths), then try the lock. Network inclusion works through network routes even if the devices in between don't support encryption - so all you need to do is create a clear network path (through a second device) from the Mac to the lock.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:50 pm
cjp767 offline

Thank you, Jay.

Your plan worked for three of them, but I had to take the last two locks apart and bring them very close to the Z-stick. The locks even had new batteries, just in case. Anyway, all locks are working. Thank you, as always for your guidance.

I've removed my Vera devices and shut off the Vera plugin-- ready for the next version of Indigo. (I hope)

Page 1 of 1