Kwikset Home Connect 620 - Notification of local lock

Posted on
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:01 pm
donhoffman offline

Kwikset Home Connect 620 - Notification of local lock

Just purchased and installed a Kwikset Home Connect 620 Zwave lock. Works fine locking and unlocking with Indigo and sends confirmation of operation. It does not seem to send a notification for lock/unlock by local operation, whether via keypad or manual. It correctly reflects the local lock state change if I do a status request, but would like to avoid polling.

Anyone know of any configuration parameters to turn such notifications on? Can't find any manuals at Kwikset site that discuss this. They all say consult the manual for your home automation provider :D .

Thanks,
Don

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:43 pm
donhoffman offline

Re: Kwikset Home Connect 620 - Notification of local lock

OK. Got it figured out.

The device defaults to sending status as controller to a "lifeline" group 1 (which I don't fully understand y et... reading up on it now). The Indigo zwave interface was shown as a responding device on the group in the initial configuration, but never got any events. (As shown in the ZWave->Manage Associations... dialog) I went in and removed the Indigo zwave interface as responder, then added it back. At that point I started getting event notifications as desired

Shouldn't the initial association set up when I paired the device be enough? Is it normal procedure to have to manually toggle the Indigo interface association for it to work?

Don't yet know if any of the added functions of the z-wave lock manager plugin work with it yet. (E.g., adding and removing users). Will play with that this weekend.

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, it should have been enough. Sounds like your initial inclusion failed in some way. Glad it's working for you.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:29 pm
wi_pedaler offline

I just installed the same lock and under Manage Associations, the lock (for me, ID #19) does not even show up in the list of Controlling Devices.
The device shows up in the Device List, but it neither responds to an action in Indigo, nor does the device send its actual lock status to Indigo.
I have removed and re-sync'd the device one time.
I have stopped the indigo server and quit and restarted Indigo 2x
Will continue troubleshooting; any suggestions welcome.

FWIW, here are the properties:
Indigo Device "019 - Door Lock" Z-Wave Properties:
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 2022.2.1
Node ID: 19
Model: Door Lock
Model ID: 00000000
Manufacturer: Unknown
Manufacturer ID: 0000
Protocol Version: 0.00
Application Version: 0.00
Model Definition Version: 0
Library Type: 0
Class Name: Door Lock
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 40 : 01
Command Class Base: 62
Command Versions: 20v1 62v1 5Ev1 55v1 98v1 9Fv1 6Cv1
Encryption Status: Supported but not Enabled
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, beaming, security, frequentWaking
Neighbors: 2, 3, 4, 5, 13, 14, 16, 17
Associations: - none -
Config Values: - none -

Posted on
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:44 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Your log results show that the module was included without encryption enabled. Try excluding it and re-include it with encryption enabled.

Posted on
Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:06 pm
wi_pedaler offline

Thank you for the recommendation, Matt!
Wishing you and the entire Indigo community a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!
//
For future reference, here is what I did. (This is from memory, and looking at the log. Please point out any corrections needed. YMMV based on your setup.)
    Look up the reference to exclusion mode for the lock, which was here. That confirmed that on the Kwikset 620 I only need to press the A button and confirm my Z-Wave controller has excluded the device
    Open Indigo desktop app and also open the Event Log window. For simplicity and sanity, I opened Screen Sharing on my laptop so I could operate my Mini (running Indigo and has Zigbee fob) while sitting next to the lock.
    In Indigo / Device list, choose the lock and Delete it
    In Indigo, select Interfaces / Z-Wave / Start controller exclusion mode. Confirm in the Event Log that Exclusion Mode was activated -
    Z-Wave - started controller exclusion mode
    At the device, press the A button and confirm in the Event Log that the device was excluded -
    Z-Wave - controller excluded module: 021 - Door Lock
    Z-Wave Error - device "021 - Door Lock" no longer has a matching module 021 in the controller
    Z-Wave Error - to re-enable the device with a new z-wave module, press the "Define and Sync..." button in the device dialog
    Z-Wave - stopped controller exclusion mode
    In Indigo / Device list, choose New... . Select Device Type Z-Wave. Click "New with Encryption Enabled" and confirm in the Event Log.
    Z-Wave - started controller inclusion mode with encryption
    On the device (lock), promptly press the A button to begin pairing
    In Indigo, find the 'new' device and select it. Click the SYNC button. Confirm in the Event Log
    Z-Wave - controller included module: 022 - Door Lock
    Z-Wave - querying module for encryption support
    Z-Wave - starting encryption key exchange with module
    Z-Wave - completed encryption key exchange with module
    Z-Wave - stopped controller inclusion mode
      The the Event Log had several "Syncing" entries for device 22
      Z-Wave Syncing - started for "022 - Door Lock"
      Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17
      Z-Wave Syncing - assigning return route to "022 - Door Lock"
      Z-Wave Syncing - assigned return route
      Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: Kwikset - 0090, Keypad Door Lock (HomeConnect 620) - 081123A8
      Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved protocol version 7.13, app version 7.20
      Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Routing Slave : Entry Control : Door Lock (04 : 40 : 01, base 62)
      Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 62v1 5Ev1 55v1 98v1 9Fv1 6Cv1 86v1 72v1 5Av1 87v1 73v1 80v1 70v1 4Cv1 63v1 85v1 8Ev1 59v1 71v1 8Bv1 5Dv1 4Ev1 7Av1
      Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved encrypt commands: {removed here]
      Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved capabilities: routing, battery, beaming, security, frequentWaking
      Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved group 1 associations: []
      Z-Wave Syncing - added group 1 association to interface
      Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved battery level of 100%
      Z-Wave Syncing - created device "022 - Keypad Door Lock (HomeConnect 620)"
      Z-Wave Syncing - complete
    At this point I could watch the event log for both manual and keypad-related events. I was pleased to see the difference in manual vs keypad actions, but would have been thrilled if the device would pass along the keypad code that was used so I could tie that to the person who activated the keypad.
    I could also lock and unlock via the controller.
    Z-Wave sent "022 - Keypad Door Lock (HomeConnect 620)" unlock
    Z-Wave received "022 - Keypad Door Lock (HomeConnect 620)" status update unlocked (via controller)
    Z-Wave received "022 - Keypad Door Lock (HomeConnect 620)" status update locked (manually)
    Z-Wave received "022 - Keypad Door Lock (HomeConnect 620)" status update unlocked (via controller)

Yet to do:
    Set up iMessage notifications on lock events.
    Integrate a lock/unlock toggle in my Control Page

And on the WIBNI list (Wouldn't It Be Nice If):
    When an unlock is logged, grab a set of stills (or short video) from the Google Nest Cam that is pointing at that door. If anyone has experience integrating Nest Cam into Indigo, I would be very interested to hear of the Whats and Hows!

Thanks to all in the community for the unselfish assistance! It makes a huge difference to have a vibrant and cooperative community in support of a product!
    Cheers to 2023!
    ~ Nat

Page 1 of 1