Can't add a Schlage Connect lock (plus Z-Wave ranting)

Posted on
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:51 pm
nathanw offline

Can't add a Schlage Connect lock (plus Z-Wave ranting)

Short version: I can't successfully add a Schlage Connect Z-Wave device to my network.

I'm running Indigo 2021.1.2, with a Z-Stick Gen5.

What I do:
  1. In Indigo, select "New device" "Z-Wave" "New with encryption enabled" (I understand encryption to be mandatory for locks)
  2. Wait until I'm told that the controller is in inclusion mode
  3. Enter the code (Schage + six digits + wait five seconds + 0) on the device keypad.

Some seconds pass while the yellow light on the keypad blinks, and then the keypad reports failure (red X mark). Indigo, however, tells me "Inclusion into network successful. Press Sync button below." ("Sync using node - 032 - Keypad Door Lock" "No response from "032 - Keypad Door Lock". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable."

Any ideas for different permutations to try? Would a raw log be helpful?
Code: Select all
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - started for "032 - Keypad Door Lock"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: - none -
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigning return route to "032 - Keypad Door Lock"
   Z-Wave Error                    Syncing - failed to assign return route
   Z-Wave Error                    no ack/nak/busy reply (013) for nonceReport (re-sending)
   Z-Wave Error                    no ack/nak/busy reply (013) for nonceReport (re-sending)
   Z-Wave Error                    Syncing - failed
   Z-Wave Error                    No response from "032 - Keypad Door Lock". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.

This device is within about ten feet of two other seemingly-functional Z-Wave devices, an Aeon Labs Smart Switch 6, and a Ring range extender, which consider each other as neighbors.

After this happens, I can set the controller to exclusion mode (via Indigo) and run through the code on the keypad and the keypad reports success with that (green checkmark).
Code: Select all
   Z-Wave                          started controller exclusion mode
   Z-Wave                          controller excluded module
   Z-Wave                          stopped controller exclusion mode

Bigger picture, I'm finding it very frustrating to try and figure out what part of the system isn't cooperating,
  • What needs to be able to talk to what in order to include something into the network?
  • Is it different if encryption is involved? Do intermediate nodes need to support the encryption or is it end-to-end?
  • Does the network need to be quiescent for any of this to work well? (I have a couple of devices that send status updates every second, so the network is never quiescent for long)
  • What kind of intermediate state am I in when Indigo reports inclusion but the keypad reports failure, and how should I clear up this intermediate state?

Posted on
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:02 am
jltnol offline

Re: Can't add a Schlage Connect lock (plus Z-Wave ranting)

So I'm FAR from a Z-Wave expert, but have found adding Z-Wave devices frustrating at times. One thing I think you've done wrong is the very first step. Forget about "Adding a device", and instead go to the Interface/ Z-Wave menu in Indigo, and from there Start Inclusion Mode. Then go to your device and start the inclusion process there. Once that is done ( you can look at the Event log page), then you go to to the Add Device setup, and your device should already be "included" in the Sync Device pop up menu.

So the 'model' I try to follow is to first get a device associated with my Z-Wave controller thru the inclusion process, and THEN get it setup in Indigo.

It took me forever to finally get this "skill" down, and even now I find it frustrating at times, never quite sure who is misbehaving during this process.

But trying to directly add a Z-Wave device before first including it, it most likely never going to work.

Page 1 of 1