Problems with Fibaro Dimmer2

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 am
kennybroh offline

Problems with Fibaro Dimmer2

Before I try to contact Fibaro support, I though I would ask if anyone has any ideas about what is going on.

I got the Dimmer2 to replace an older X10 switch in a 2 wire location so I could replace the bulbs with LEDs. I'm pretty sure I wired the Fibaro and the switch properly, but I'm having several problems. First--and I've tried several different switches--the lights will not turn off with the switch; it doesn't seem to have any effect. Second, I can't get Zwave stick to include the Fibaro. I tried it both ways, from the Indigo interface and manually with the stick.

Any thoughts?

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:23 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Re: Problems with Fibaro Dimmer2

By default the dimmer assumes that you have a momentary switch connected. If you have a toggle switch connected it can be tricky to control the light until it’s added to Indigo and you change the switch type. What type of switch is wired up?

Using either method of inclusion I find that pressing the switch on/off rapidly for about 10 seconds usually puts it into inclusion mode.

The other possibility is that you have wired the switch input to hard active (always-on) by mistake.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:27 pm
kennybroh offline

Thanks. How would I have wired it always on? Or what I really mean is how would I unwire that?

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:35 pm
kwijibo007 offline

If you’ve done that it means that you have not connected the switch to the s1 input. Basically you might have accidentally wired it up so the s1 input is always receiving power regardless of the state of the switch. By doing this the dimmer thinks that the switch is always turned on.

I only mention this as you said that you can’t get the dimmer to turn off.

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:46 pm
kennybroh offline

So if it matters, it is just an on/off toggle, but only because I first tried a momentary switch/dimmer and that didn't work.

I've got L connected to line, S1 to one side of the toggle, SX to the other side of the switch, a jumper between N and SX, and load to whatever that symbol is next to N. That should be correct, yes?

The lights come on, the green led flashes for a while and then is steady. Pressing or holding B does nothing, nor does turning the switch on or off. And I can't put it into include mode. I tried turning the switch on and off like 10 times but nothing seemed to happen.

This replaces an old X10 which worked fine in the box, but won't support LEDs,. nor can I find an Insteon solution for 2 wire use.

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:49 pm
kennybroh offline

Suppose I mistakenly have load going into L and line into the other one? Would that cause these symptoms?

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 pm
kwijibo007 offline

That sounds correct for 2-wire setup.

One last question, have you tried pressing the built in button to activate inclusion?

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:57 pm
kennybroh offline

The B button doesn't seem to do anything. I think the instructions say to press it 3 times quickly, but when I do that nothing seems to happen, whether I try inclusion from indigo or manually with the stick near the fibaro.

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:08 pm
kwijibo007 offline

I just looked at the wiring diagram and you have it done correctly.

Other than pressing button b furiously for more than 3 presses I’m out of suggestions sorry.

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:11 pm
kennybroh offline

What about my question about inadvertently reversing line and load into the Fibaro. Do you think that could cause this? I'm pretty sure I didn't do that, but it's possible.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:38 pm
siclark offline

Attached is my wiring for one of mine, I have neutral though, and live is chained from the previous switch, but sounds like you have it wired properly.
It is possible that they break sometimes, although more likely on a relay than a dimmer.

I would concentrate on trying to include with button b if you have the switch off the wall, its much harder with using the toggle, and you are likely to do more damage by continually flicking the switch. One thing that might help is the manual says to ensure the toggle switch is open when including. Could this be the problem?

CAUTION
While adding the Dimmer 2 to the network with connected toggle switch, ensure that wall switch contact is open (off). Otherwise it will prevent adding/ removing the device to/from the network.
Attachments
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 2276 times

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:52 pm
kennybroh offline

So am I correct that your hot wire goes into the last switch, which is jumped to the second switch, and then hooked to L on the Fibaro? So how did you decide which leads from the switch to hook to S1 and Sx?

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:58 pm
siclark offline

Hot wire, aka permanent live, yes is daisy chained across the top of 2 of the switches and then into the fibaro. I dont think it matters which side of the switch goes into S1 and SX. The fibaro doesnt need that to work, it is controlling the hot wire power going from L input to the output to the light electronically. All its doing is checking if there is a connected circuit between S1 and SX to see if the switch is open or closed, and uses that to control the output, as it would with a zwave command. That shouldnt impact on the output working. It sounds like you need to get it paired and changed to use a toggle switch.

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:02 pm
kennybroh offline

I originally used a Lutron tap switch with a dimmer slide, and that did the same thing. Still wondering whether mistakenly reversing line and load in the Fibaro would cause this.

Posted on
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:16 pm
siclark offline

Reversing those 2 wires would I think mean the fibaro has no power, if there is no hot wire going into L and as you said the light comes on, I think you are ok on that front.

Have you tried again to get it to include?

Can you get the device into the menu mode? Click and hold and then release when light is white, and you should be able to turn on and off the light with the B button. Then maybe try a factory reset?

MENU mode & visual indications:
FIBARO Dimmer 2 has a MENU with each position indicated by the
specified LED indicator colour. In order to enter the menu press the
B-button and hold for at least 2 seconds. While the B-button is still
pressed, LED indicator colour will change in the following sequence:
BLUE - initiate the load calibration procedure (see „Calibration” on
page 15)
RED - load calibration procedure with FIBARO Bypass 2 (see „Calibration”
on page 15)
WHITE - activate turning the load on/off using the B-button
GREEN - reset the energy consumption data memory (see „Power and
energy consumption measurement” on page 16)
VIOLET - initiate the Z-Wave network range test (see „Z-Wave range
test” on page 18)
YELLOW - reset the FIBARO Dimmer 2 to factory defaults
Release the B-button to choose the desired function and confirm your
choice with the B-button click.