Recommendation for a water leak detector with ‘heartbeat’

Posted on
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:20 pm
sarahcat offline

Recommendation for a water leak detector with ‘heartbeat’

I would like to install a few water leak detectors in my home. I plan to use them to control a Dome water shutoff controller. I’ve looked at the Zooz ZSE 30 and it has a desirable feature: a sensor that is wired to the Z-Wave transponder module. Is this something other users would recommend or is there a different device you might recommend for use with Indigo 7? Since the device will ideally never be triggered (no leaks), a heartbeat to indicate it’s alive or perhaps needs a new battery would be a big plus. I do have a mixed system of Insteon Dual Band and Z-Wave devices, but door locks and security devices are all on the Z-Wave system and I use Insteon for control.

Thanks! :-)

Posted on
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 pm
Professor Falken offline

Re: Recommendation for a water leak detector with ‘heartbeat

I have been very happy with the Insteon leak detectors. They wake up and send a heartbeat about once a day. There are even a few plugins that can monitor for a missed heartbeat and let you know that a leak sensor isn't responding.

https://www.amazon.com/Insteon-Smartpho ... 009WXZ0O2/

Posted on
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:33 am
sarahcat offline

I have been very happy with the Insteon leak detectors. They wake up and send a heartbeat about once a day. There are even a few plugins that can monitor for a missed heartbeat and let you know that a leak sensor isn't responding.

Thank you, Professor Falken. Would you like to play a nice game of chess? Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :roll:

Posted on
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:28 am
Professor Falken offline

Thank you, Professor Falken. Would you like to play a nice game of chess? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

If I'm going to give a computer control over my house, might as well go big, right?

Posted on
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:10 pm
sarahcat offline

If I'm going to give a computer control over my house, might as well go big, right?

True, but the 1983 WOPR probably has less computing power than my iPad Pro.

Posted on
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:13 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

My favorite movie as a kid.

Posted on
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:15 am
Professor Falken offline

If I ever ventured into voice control, or even really used the announcements features/plugins much, I would love to figure out a way to have Indigo sound like Joshua.

There are some descriptions online for using effects in Adobe Audition to achieve that tinny computer sound, but the lack of inflection was achieved in the movie by having the Prof. Falken actor read the lines backwards, and then they re-spiced the audio back into the correct order.

Yes, I actually have looked into this.

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:29 am
sarahcat offline

There are some descriptions online for using effects in Adobe Audition to achieve that tinny computer sound, but the lack of inflection was achieved in the movie by having the Prof. Falken actor read the lines backwards, and then they re-spiced the audio back into the correct order.

Yes, I actually have looked into this.

For some reason, I have no doubt you did.

The technical accuracy of the film not withstanding, I did love it, particularly the bickering hackers played by Eddie Deezen and Maury Chaykin.

Page 1 of 1