Z-Wave locks -- which ones are know to work properly

Posted on
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:59 pm
brianlloyd offline

Z-Wave locks -- which ones are know to work properly

About 6 months before Z-Wave locks were supported I converted all my door locks to Milocks using Insteon to control them. They are a f-----g disaster. Battery life is maybe one month if I am lucky. Locking and unlocking works maybe 90% of the time IFF the batteries are fresh. My plan is to write these locks off as an expensive mistake. Mechanically the locks are a problem as well, binding and working improperly internally even if the bolts and striker plates are perfect. Now I learn just how insecure Insteon is. So ...

... I would like to replace my locks with good Z-Wave locks, preferably with something like Schlage. (I have always had good luck with Schlage locks.) I don't want Kwikset if I can avoid them. So, who makes Z-Wave locks with the quality of Schlage (or better) that is known to work properly with Indigo?

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:31 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Z-Wave locks -- which ones are know to work properly

A good place to start looking is the Supported Hardware List for Z-Wave - several locks there including one Schlage. All of the ones listed there have been confirmed to work with Indigo either by us directly or my a user.

Just a note: I've been using a KwikSet 910 for about 4 years (with a Vera before we supported locks natively) and have had no issues. In fact, when I pulled out the battery cage to replace them once I accidentally dropped it on a tile floor and the cage broke. I contacted KwikSet to ask how to buy a replacement and they sent me one for free. All in all, my KwikSet experience has been great. Just my opinion of course.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 am
johnpolasek offline

I have also been very pleased with the 3 Kwikset 910s at my house (one on Vera bridge for a year before Indigo 7 came out, the others added as soon as it was released., Admittedly, prior to that, the 2 Kevos had problems locking without being touched while the doors were open, but the Z-wave versions have been great. About the only gripe I still have is that I'd really like to have a keyed inside option rather than the simple lever.

Posted on
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 am
brianlloyd offline

OK, we have a couple of examples. So the $64 question: are Z-Wave locks likely to work, in general, or is it more likely that only specific locks will work? I need mostly stand-alone deadbolts but I need two knob-locks as well.

I have avoided Kwikset locks in favor of Schlage for 40 years based on a detailed description of the lock internal architecture and operation by a friend who was a locksmith. The Schlage locks are just better built and stronger to resist what locks are supposed to resist: someone trying to break in.

Posted on
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

brianlloyd wrote:
OK, we have a couple of examples. So the $64 question: are Z-Wave locks likely to work, in general, or is it more likely that only specific locks will work?

Basic lock/unlock functionality is likely to work, but you never know for sure until you try.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:51 pm
Different Computers offline

About the only gripe I still have is that I'd really like to have a keyed inside option rather than the simple lever

In many locations, this is now against building code as far as I know, as it can prevent a door from being used as an exit in an emergency.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:52 pm
brianlloyd offline

jay (support) wrote:
Basic lock/unlock functionality is likely to work, but you never know for sure until you try.

That is what I surmised. Regardless, one of the recommended Schlage deadbolts was perfect.

Posted on
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:03 pm
johnpolasek offline

Different Computers wrote:

In many locations, this is now against building code as far as I know, as it can prevent a door from being used as an exit in an emergency.

I'm surprised it is now explicitly against code, meaning you CAN'T do it. Back in the 90s, police recommended and home insurers gave discounts for following the practice of having double keyed deadbolts with a key in the inner lock that you took with you when the last person left, provided the door jamb was reinforced and 4" screws were used to secure it.

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:34 am
siclark offline

Safer for fire but worse for theft. It gives burglars easy way to carry large objects out rather than going through the window they came in through. But also gives them an easy way out if approached. I'd take safe family in a fire and a burglar running out the house if challenged any day over making it slightly harder for them to steal things.

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 am
johnpolasek offline

lanbrown wrote:

That is exactly the reason. In the event of a fire if the key is not in the lock, someone cannot get out or if it is dark and you can't see the lock, trying to get a key in the lock might cause someone to die.

JMO, in case of fire, the most likely exit will be a window; there are more of them and 99% of the time they are more accessible than an exterior door that may be at the end of a hallway full of smoke and fire... As others have noted, the door is only needed if you insist on carrying the tv, computer, stereo, etc when you go.

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:10 am
johnpolasek offline

Oh, and getting back to the ORIGINAL purpose of the thread, have you looked at Howartp's Lock Manager Thread (http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=210)? You can find some discussions of several Yale and Schlage locks that others have either had problems with or gotten to work.

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 am
brianlloyd offline

johnpolasek wrote:
Oh, and getting back to the ORIGINAL purpose of the thread, have you looked at Howartp's Lock Manager Thread (http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=210)? You can find some discussions of several Yale and Schlage locks that others have either had problems with or gotten to work.

I will go look.

There is a Forum for locks but nothing is in there but an old thread on the Milocks locks. I'd like to request some links in there or allow users to post new messages to that Forum. It seems like the best place for discussions about locks. (Hint, hint!)

Page 1 of 1