Remotec ZRC-90 - syncs, no buttons detected

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 am
shapa offline

Remotec ZRC-90 - syncs, no buttons detected

Syncs OK, any button pressed - only updates battery level.

Z-Wave Syncing - started for "154 - Remote Control Simple"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: - none -
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: Remotec - 5254, Scene Master (ZRC-90) - 00018510
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved protocol version 4.05, app version 1.01
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Controller : Portable Controller : Remote Control Simple (01 : 01 : 06, base 00)
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 80v1 84v2 85v1 86v1 21v1 72v1 73v1 59v1 5Av1 5Bv1 5Ev1
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved encrypt commands: - none -
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved capabilities: battery, beaming, waking
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved wake interval of 0 minutes
Z-Wave Syncing - device "154 - Remote Control Simple" wake interval changed to 60 minutes
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved group 1 associations: []
Z-Wave Syncing - added group 1 association to interface
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved battery level of 100%
Z-Wave Syncing - changed device "152 - Scene Master (ZRC-90)" address from undefined to 154
Z-Wave Syncing - complete

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 am
shapa offline

Re: Remotec ZRC-90 - syncs, no buttons detected

Indigo Z-Wave Version: 2.0.111
Node ID: 156
Model: Scene Master (ZRC-90)
Model ID: 00018510
Manufacturer: Remotec
Manufacturer ID: 5254
Protocol Version: 4.05
Application Version: 1.01
Model Definition Version: 1
Library Type: 2
Class Name: Remote Control Simple
Class Hierarchy: 01 : 01 : 06
Command Class Base: 00
Command Versions: 20v1 80v1 84v2 85v1 86v1 21v1 72v1 73v1 59v1 5Av1 5Bv1 5Ev1
Encryption Status: Not Supported
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: battery, beaming, waking
Neighbors: - none -
Associations: 1:[1]
Config Values: - none -

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Turn on the Z-Wave debug logging checkbox (via the Interfaces->Z-Wave->Configure... menu item), then press several buttons and copy/paste the Event Log results into a reply for me.

Posted on
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:52 am
howartp offline

And does my Scene Controller plugin recognise buttons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:05 pm
Colly offline

Log details are exactly the same as mine and I've no issues, maybe you got a dud? Might be worth excluding and re-including.
Code: Select all
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 2.0.111
Node ID: 70
Model: Scene Master (ZRC-90)
Model ID: 00018510
Manufacturer: Remotec
Manufacturer ID: 5254
Protocol Version: 4.05
Application Version: 1.01
Model Definition Version: 1
Library Type: 2
Class Name: Remote Control Simple
Class Hierarchy: 01 : 01 : 06
Command Class Base: 00
Command Versions: 20v1 80v1 84v2 85v1 86v1 21v1 72v1 73v1 59v1 5Av1 5Bv1 5Ev1
Encryption Status: Not Supported
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: battery, beaming, waking
Neighbors: - none -
Associations: 1:[1]
Config Values: - none -

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:34 am
shapa offline

Tried many times...

Decided to request RMA, will try with a replacement unit.

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 am
autolog offline

I share your pain - I have had the same experience with a couple of these. When they work they are brilliant but when they don't .... ! :cry:

Posted on
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:02 am
shapa offline

The replacement one is slightly better - scenes detected but only button release (i.e. long press then release)

Which version do you have? V1.01EU as well?

Will try to talk with Vesternet...

Posted on
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:16 pm
howartp offline

I’ve ordered one today so I’ll test that when it comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am
autolog offline

No update for six months, so I thought I would add some info from a very frustrating afternoon's work. :|

Sometime ago, I had been having problems getting two of my ZRC-90s to work with Indigo. So much so that I put them in my storage box and forgot about them. This afternoon, I thought I would give it another try.

I should note that I have three ZRC-90s working perfectly with Indigo (running on an iMac 2017 on High Sierra10.13.5 and using an Aeotec Gen 5 Z-Stick). All five of the ZRC-90s are version 1.01 firmware.

However these two additional devices (4 and 5) have included and sync'd OK but pressing any button or double clicking any button just returns the battery status (100%). Holding a button down returns nothing until you let it go and then you get a button n released message + the battery status. So this is similar to what @shapa reported six months ago.

As an experiment, I factory reset both the ZRC-90 devices and then included them onto my Gen 5 Z-Wave.Me USB Stick attached to my development Indigo (running on El Capitan 10.11.6). On this system the buttons work perfectly. :)

So I repeated the process resetting and then re-including / syncing them on my production system and now they don't work again. :?

Next step was to create a new Indigo database on my production system and swap the Aeotec Gen 5 Z-Stick and Gen 5 Z-Wave.Me USB Stick. With this test the ZRC-90 was working on my production iMac.

So it looks like it is some problem with the interaction between the Aeotec Gen 5 Z-Stick and the ZRC-90s.

So next step was to use a spare Aeotec Gen 5 -Z-Stick (never been used) and try that on the production system. Again, factory resetting the ZRC-90 and including it onto the new Z-Stick.

SUCCESS - IT WORKS! :D

So it looks like the issue is to do with the existing Aeotec Gen 5 Z-Stick.

I am now going to download the Aeotec backup software and backup my the Z-Stick onto the new Z-Stick and see how that goes.

I'll update this thread with results in due course. :)

Posted on
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:10 pm
autolog offline

Following on from my above post. ...

I ran the Aeotec backup software in the Windows 10 VM (Blue Iris) running on my production iMac and backed up the existing Z-Stick to the new one.

Unfortunately the new ZRC-90s again didn't work (when they had done previously), whilst the existing (first three) still do. :cry:

I am wondering whether it is something silly like the addresses of the new ones being too high (they are 159 and 160) while the existing ones are 47, 50 and 93?

So at least I now have a backed up Z-Stick. :)

Next step, when I have some time, is to probably go through all my Z-Wave devices and add them to a new Z-Stick (adding the ZRC-90s fairly early on in the addressing sequence).

Posted on
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That is really strange that it works with one Gen 5 Z-Stick but not the other. Does the one that it works with have a Z-Wave node ID of 1, and the one that it doesn't work with have a different (higher) node number? I know that some module have bugs that only surface when the controller is on a non-default (not ID 1) node ID. I suspect they have some logic/addresses hard coded in the firmware to assume the controller is node 1, and during QA they fail to test against a controller with a non-default node ID.

Posted on
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:09 am
autolog offline

Hi Matt,

Indigo is device 1 on all the Z-sticks and Z-Wave.Me USB. :)

Just to recap:
  • I have three ZRC-90s working with my production Aeotec Gen 5 Z-Stick [Z-Stick 1]
  • Adding the two additional ZRC-90s to this Z-Stick gives the problems with the button presses not working correctly
  • Adding the two additional ZRC-90s to the Gen 5 Z-Wave.Me USB works OK and both ZRC-90s button presses work fine.
  • Adding the two additional ZRC-90s to a new Aeotec Gen 5 Z-Stick [Z-Stick 2] works OK and both ZRC-90s button presses work fine.
  • Backing up Z-Stick 1 to Z-Stick 2 using the Aeotec utility and then re-adding the two additional ZRC-90s to Z-Stick 2 gives the problems with the button presses not working correctly (when they were added previously to this Z-Stick [Z-Stick 2] they worked OK.

That's why I wondered whether it was an addressing limit that had been exceeded in the ZRC-90s as when they are added and failing, they are being added at addresses 158+ (which for example is beyond 128)?

I guess the only way to find out is to factory reset Z-Stick 2 and then add all my ZRC-90s to this new stick and test whether they work or not. If they do then I would have to migrate all my devices to the new Z-Stick.

The risk I run is that I could end up with no ZRC-90s working at all. :wink:

Posted on
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:15 am
autolog offline

As an addendum to this and reviewing past posts in this thread, the address limit could be the issue?

@shapa's device was at address 156 and not working.

@colly's device was at address 70 and working OK.

:)

Posted on
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, looks like the only variable that is changing (that causes the problem to surface) then is the node ID being used. My guess is that you are correct and maybe anything over 7 bits (127 or maybe 128) doesn't work. I've never heard of a module having a firmware bug like that but at this point that seems like the most likely problem. Unfortunately there isn't any way I know of to get the controller to use a lower node ID short of doing a full reset, OR I believe, adding/removing nodes until you cycles past the limit at which point it will start searching at node 1+ again for the first unused node. So presuming you have some unused node IDs (because of previous exclusions) that are < 127 then you might be able to just include/exclude a module over and over until it loops around then you can then try including the ZRC-90s again.