Z-Wave plugin 2.0.96 causing problems?

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:48 am
CrazyFin offline

Z-Wave plugin 2.0.96 causing problems?

I upgraded my Z-Wave plugin from 2.0.91 to 2.0.96 two weeks ago and I have noticed that 5-10 of my 50+ devices now suddenly are getting NACK:s and when trying to re-sync them they time out at the assign return route step with the message "Syncing - failed to assign return route".
This happens for many different devices of different brands (Qubino, TBKHome, BeNext) but it seems to only happen for devices that has no direct contact with the controller and therefore is using 1 or more hops.

I have tested with optimizing nodes near the ones failing and I have also tested with excluding them and then re-including them again but still the same problem.
As soon as I keep any of those problematic devices near the controller and exclude them, resync them in again it works fine but as soon as I try to do network wide inclusion (NWI) it wont work and I have to do normal inclusion closer to the controller (up to 10-15 meters seems to work fine in my house). However, as soon as I move the device to its intended location (where it was working previously) and try to re-optimize the node to update the neighbour list or if I try to re-sync the device into Indigo it fails with the time out message.

I can see in the neighbour list of the failing devices that they all have a neighbour close enough that has direct contact with the controller so we are talking about a one hop only.
I also tested with removing the Z-Stick S2 and running it on my Windows machine with Zensys tool and in the network topology map I can see that these nodes has one hop to a slave node that is close enough and then further on to the controller.

It is almost as if 2.0.96 does not handle routing between devices properly?

It could of course be my S2-stick as well that is starting to behave bad. I have tested with both stopping the Z-Wave plugin, removing the stick, inserting it again and then restarting the plugin but still the same problem. I have also tested with a full reboot but no help there either.
I might bite the bullet and start my move from S2 stick to the S5 stick (that is running on my dev machine) during the weekend to see if that helps but my gut feeling is that there is something wrong with the 2.0.96 Z-Wave plugin.

@Matt: Can you provide a link to the 2.0.91 version so that I can try that one again since I did not have any kind of these problems running that version?

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:59 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Z-Wave plugin 2.0.96 causing problems?

Unfortunately, I don't have archives of all the Z-Wave plugin versions (I probably should). For testing you could delete the 2.0.96 plugin and re-run the Indigo 7.0.4 installer. I'm not sure what version that would give you (probably some devices would stop working) but as a temporary test it might work.

I suspect this problem isn't related to the Z-Wave plugin library though. Nothing has changed recently that should impact that level of communication. The changes have mainly been specific to device definitions.

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:19 am
CrazyFin offline

Ok will do that but I can only find the 7.0.3 installer but not the 7.0.4 installer? Is 7.0.4 released unofficially in some of the forum threads?

I also realised that I actually did a firmware upgrade of my Aeon Labs S2 stick few weeks ago as well. Might be that one causing my issues even though it was meant to fix issues with dead and lost nodes... :-) I upgraded from 3.06 to 3.08 according to this old post from spring 2016: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000091809-z-stick-s2-v3-08-firmware-update

After Indigo reinstall I will also test with downgrading the firmware of my S2 stick (if it is possible to downgrade it).

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The download page is actually the 7.0.4 installer. It was only an installer update (because of some expired certs), so we snuck it in. From a functional standpoint 7.0.3 and 7.0.4 are the same.

You could also try factory resetting the Z-Stick (via Indigo's menu). Downside of that is you have to exclude and re-include everything all over.

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:07 pm
CrazyFin offline

Ok I did bite the bullet and started the move from S2 stick to the newer S5 stick instead... :shock:

1. I disabled the Z-Wave plugin (now back at 2.0.96 after the re-install of Indigo 7.0.4 AND download of the latest Z-Wave plugin).

2. I removed my old S2 stick (without resetting it in order to save it as it is if needed to revert back to S2)

3. I attached the new S5 stick (used in my development Indigo environment) and factory resented it.

4. Started to exclude the devices closest to the S5 stick first and then re-included them.

I will continue this process tomorrow since this will take some time.
I have already encountered some strange parameter settings for the Fibaro FGS-213 running on firmware 3.02. Since I most likely will encounter other issues with other devices as well when excluding and re-including them back in, I will post everything here in this thread and then we/you can split them up into more proper posts if needed. Ok?

===================
FIBARO FGS-213:
After inclusion and sync into Indigo I got the debug flooded with energy reports:
Z-Wave Debug RCVD requestMeterLevel: 01 10 00 04 00 06 0A 32 02 21 44 00 00 00 00 00 00 B2
Z-Wave Debug . . requestMeterLevel: node 006, endpoint None, meterType 01, raw value 4400...
Z-Wave Debug . . requestMeterLevel: 0.00 kWh (float: 0.000000)
Z-Wave Debug RCVD requestMeterLevel: 01 10 00 04 00 06 0A 32 02 21 44 00 00 00 00 00 00 B2
Z-Wave Debug . . requestMeterLevel: node 006, endpoint None, meterType 01, raw value 4400...
Z-Wave Debug . . requestMeterLevel: 0.00 kWh (float: 0.000000)

This happens even though switch is off and all params are default. Playing around with different parameter values for the different energy and power usage params I have discovered that if I change param 53 (Switch Energy Threshold) from its default value 100 to 0, which according to the manual is the same as disabling the energy reports on power changes, the flooding starts...
If I change it to a big enough value like 100 or even 500 that I use now then the reporting is quite silent. However, as soon as I put it back to 0 which according to the manual should disable it completely then the flooding of energy reports starts again. And according to the manual the max value is 32000 and when I set it to that value the flooding starts again?!

It seems that any value between 1 and 31999 works fine but as soon as I enter either 0 or 32000 then the energy reporting starts to flood the debug log.

So I will keep the param 53 set at 31999 being as close as possible equal to having it disabled.
===================

More devices to follow if they show strange behaviour after being included as new devices into my S5 stick.

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

CrazyFin wrote:
Since I most likely will encounter other issues with other devices as well when excluding and re-including them back in, I will post everything here in this thread and then we/you can split them up into more proper posts if needed. Ok?

Sounds good.

Strange that the FGS213 is spamming the network with power messages. I wonder if it is a firmware buglet in that when it is excluded it doesn't factory reset properly, or gets into some slightly buggy state? That would seem to be the only thing that could explain why you are seeing the message spamming now but (I presume) not when you initially included it with the old S2.

Posted on
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:22 pm
CrazyFin offline

Aaaah finally done! :D

Took me two full days to exclude, include and sync all devices back into Indigo with my new Aeon Labs S5 stick... :shock:
I have now almost completed all device parameter settings for all my devices but all my Z-Wave devices are up and running and the topology must now be perfect since all my far out devices are rock solid! 8)

I tried be thorough when including the devices into the S5 stick by first including all devices being closest to the controller and then working my way out to the far out devices. I also did a Z-Wave network optimisation after this and then finally I moved on to include all battery operated devices.
I have now problems at all now with reaching and controlling the far out devices. Feels really rock solid now!

I had actually only two problematic devices only!
One being the Fibaro FGS-213 as I mentioned above and the other one being my old model ZME WallC-S battery operated wall switch that did not want to include properly. I then realised it was a battery that was still good enough for operation but for including and syncing it was not good enough. As soon as I replaced it with a brand new CR2032 battery then that one also was "easy" to include and sync (battery operated devices are always a mess to work with no matter how good they are designed).
For the Fibaro FGS-213 I think I´ll try with excluding it again, doing a factory reset of the device as per the manual and then re-include, re-sync it back into Indigo and see if param 53 = 0 still floods the log with energy reports. If it does I will contact Fibaro and see if this firmware version I have is a buggy one, and if there is a newer firmware release. Meanwhile I have set param 53 = 31999 which means that the device will only send energy reports of the energy change is bigger than 31999kWh... = will not happen... :o

I actually now have only two devices in my Z-Wave arsenal that I would love to see being implemented with full support in Indigo. That is the Philio Technology PAT02-B temp and humidity sensors that reports both temp and humidity but Indigo only displays the humidity value (see my thread at http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16199. It´s been a year since this one was requested... Hopefully you can get this one into next Indigo release. :wink:

The other device is the dreaded Qubino Weather station ZMNHZD1 that does something wrong when syncing it in to Indigo causing no sensor updates. See my thread at http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16262. It works fine if I for example use Open-Zwave-ControlPanel and the OpenZWave library on my Indigo dev MAC to include it into my S5 stick and then moving back the stick to my Indigo production MAC. I might give it a shot now again when running latest Indigo and latest Z-Wave plugin.

Other than that I now have some debug digging and parameter digging to do to set all my Z-Wave devices to parameter values I want to have. :roll:

I really can recommend all of you running on old generation Z-Wave controllers like the Aeon Labs S2 (or other brands) to move up to the Gen5 controllers like Aeon Labs S5 (or other brands)!
Last edited by CrazyFin on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:27 pm
howartp offline

For the PAT02-B, have a look at mySensor Loggerplugin I launched this week - I’d be interested to see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:33 pm
CrazyFin offline

howartp wrote:
For the PAT02-B, have a look at mySensor Loggerplugin I launched this week - I’d be interested to see if it helps.

Ahhh thanks! I saw in the GreenWave Powernode 6 thread (http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13698 that you had released that cool plugin.
I will try it out next weekend and see if I can get both the PAT02-B to show values properly as well as the Powernode 6.

Page 1 of 1