Wind sensor with Fibaro RGBW module

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:03 am
davinci offline

Wind sensor with Fibaro RGBW module

I plan to make a wind sensor using a Fibaro RGBW module. However I have some questions in advance.
https://www.pce-instruments.com/deutsch/regeltechnik/sensor/windsensor-pce-instruments-windsensor-pce-fst-200-201-det_515054.htm

First, I already use one Fibaro RGBW for an LED strip (white only). Could I use the same module and use IN1 as an input for the sensor or do I need a separate module?

Second, how good is this for my network. It is quiet big and responsive but I can image that an update every few m/s could flood my Z-Wave network.

Thanks

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:33 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Wind sensor with Fibaro RGBW module

Just chiming in here to say I asked about anyone who used sensors with this module, and never got any responses. I would love to know what works, and how people did it.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=18934

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:29 pm
DaveL17 offline

I could be wrong about this, but I don't believe at present that Indigo supports secondary sensors for the Fibaro modules. I suspect that they could be supported with a plugin (and may be supported by a plugin already.)

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:25 pm
davinci offline

I was hoping to get a value that I can convert to my sensors data.

Could please someone confirm this?

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:16 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo only supports using the Fibaro RGBW to control LED strips. You could definitely create an Indigo plugin that receive the low-level Z-Wave messages as they come in, so it should be possible to add support for it. However, it will be a non-trivial amount of work.

I'm not sure if the messages would cause a congestion problem or not. Depends on how often they are sent and depends on how many nodes are required to hop the message to the Z-Stick. If it can directly reach the Z-Stick then sending a message per second might be acceptable. Personally, I wouldn't want to use Z-Wave for sending anything consistently faster than 1 message per second (from a single module).

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:08 pm
srkinard offline

Yeah...you could probably use a Raspberry Pi Zero and Karl's piBeacon plugin for not only accurate multi-sensor capabilities but also the single-channel control of the LED strip...repurpose the Fibaro somewhere with a full RGBW strip maybe.

Ross

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:09 am
davinci offline

So you don't support the only way to get normal sensors included to Indigo? Why??

There is no good wind sensor available for z-wave.
The POPP z-weather is a joke, you get values every 5 hours if the weather isn't sunny.

I'm using an Arduino but the wifi connection isn't ideal. I use a Sparkfun wind sensor, but one of the cups just broke after three years.

Is there support for the Z-Uno?

https://z-uno.z-wave.me/examples/MultilevelSensor/
https://z-uno.z-wave.me/Reference/Z-Wave/

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:28 am
DaveL17 offline

davinci wrote:
So you don't support the only way to get normal sensors included to Indigo? Why??

Can you say a little bit more about what you mean? What do you consider to be a "normal" sensor? I wouldn't consider attaching a wind sensor to an RGBW module to be an expected way to add such a thing to Indigo. Not to say that it isn't possible--just not what I personally would expect.

There are several different ways to include sensors in Indigo. If it were me, for local weather conditions, I'd do one of the following:

- a weather station with IP data,
- a weather station with RF data and an RFXTRX transceiver,
- a sensor(s) attached to a Raspberry Pi or Arduino

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:53 am
davinci offline

Well the Fibaro RGBW is designed to work with these sensors. They are usually much higher quality than what is on the market.

I will probably go the way by Z-Uno but again I need support from Indigo. I'm pretty sure an Arduino project like this follows the standard. So maybe it works, but what if not...

I was hoping to get more support with the new V7 subscription model, but I am not sure if this is the case.

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:20 am
DaveL17 offline

I think that's what makes this stuff so fantastic. The wide array of different ways to do things is a major plus and the list is getting bigger by the day. I don't think there's been a huge demand for the 0-10v features, but maybe someone has the interest and skills and could write a plugin to add support for it. As Matt says, it would be a non-trivial exercise and could account for a lot of traffic. Further, I think a UI based control would require a fair bit of engineering given the large number of things that could be connected. But it would be cool!

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:27 am
davinci offline

I agree that there are a lot of possibilities.

In order to avoid too much traffic I want to use the Z-Uno and make my calculations on.the Arduino. Then every minute I can send two values. I just don't know if it works and - if not if I will get it to work by an update.

The Z-Uno is a great chip which enables you to make your own sensors or pretty much every imaginable Z-Wave device.

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:10 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

davinci wrote:
So you don't support the only way to get normal sensors included to Indigo?

As we said above, we only support the Fibaro RGBW module for controlling RGBW strips.

davinci wrote:
Why??

Because it would be more work to implement and we haven't had enough demand to justify it. We do have on our Feature Request list some general Z-Wave improvements that will allow support for functionality like this (not specific to this module but it would work), but we haven't gotten to it yet.

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:25 pm
andarv offline

Connecting wind sensors to Fibaro RGBW module is a bit tricky not all 0-10v works. Make sure it's 0v.
Had that configuration in HC2, for me netatmo is accurate and fast enough.

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A5000 via Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1