Setting Z-Wave Parameters

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:21 pm
zebu offline

Setting Z-Wave Parameters

I have several of the monoprice version of Zooz ZSE40 that I've been playing with. The leds are set to off in indigo but they're still flashing. According to the manual parameter 7 controls the led behavior but when I query it (or any of the documented parameters) I jus get an error "failed to read value -- device may not support parameter 7 or may be asleep". The device is not asleep.

How can I query what parameters the device is current set to?

-Bill

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Setting Z-Wave Parameters

Are you sure the module isn't asleep? That type of failure message means Indigo isn't receiving a response from the module. It either means: the module doesn't support reading of that configuration parameter, the module isn't reachable, or it is asleep. Unfortunately, Indigo doesn't know which of the 3 it is – it just knows it didn't get a reply.

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:46 pm
zebu offline

Hi Matt, thanks for the quick reply. I verified the device is awake by looking in the event log (below). I have device 002 selected. You may want to add that in the event error.

Code: Select all
  Z-Wave                          received "002 - Motion Sensor" status update is on
   Z-Wave Error                    failed to read value -- device may not support parameter 7 or may be asleep

Sep 23, 2017, 6:43:15 PM
   Z-Wave Error                    failed to read value -- device may not support parameter 1 or may be asleep

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Is the "status update is on" in the Event Log the result of you pushing the button in Indigo to send it a status request, or did the module just broadcast it out?

It is battery operated, correct? Presuming so, what steps are you performing to wake up the module?

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:55 pm
zebu offline

Yes, the module is battery operated.

Ok, I see where you're going. I've been using the motion sensor status to determine if the device is awake. The manual says it wakes on motion but does not say for how long. I don't see a way to force it awake or determine if it is awake. My goal was to interrogate the device and determine what the parameters are set to. The module has 7 parameters which are all accounted for in your configuration screen for the module but two of the parameters (temperature units (1) and led status (7)) do not appear to be working. I was trying to dump the parameter settings from the device to see if the issue was in Indigo or in the device itself. Is there another way I can go about this?

Thanks,

-Bill

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

For some modules removing the battery and putting it back in will keep it awake for a minute or so. Another approach would be to exclude and re-include it. Normally after inclusion it stays awake for a minute or more (which is how Indigo's sync is able to complete).

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:33 pm
zebu offline

Thanks Matt, the battery trick let me read the parameters and fixed all of the issues I was having. The parameters that were not working took affect after the battery bounce.

Page 1 of 1