All my Z-Wave devices suddenly are in a "no ack" state...

Posted on
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: All my Z-Wave devices suddenly are in a "no ack" state..

Exclude the problem module from the Z-Stick, then re-include and re-sync it. If that doesn't help, then copy/paste the Event Log result (of all 3 steps).

Posted on
Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:57 pm
Colly offline

Thanks Matt, that worked fine. I didn't want to go ahead and do that just in case there was something else worth doing first to figure out what went wrong. Any ideas as to why a large number of devices went AWOL? In particular my 5 motion sensors (all battery operated) went offline if that gives any clue. The last time this happened I had my suspicions but this time I'm fairly sure it happens when I re-sync a device that is already included on the stick. It's a bit of a pain and makes me very weary of doing a re-sync from now on.

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Did you unplug the Z-Stick, or reload/restart either Indigo or the Z-Wave interface? I believe those are the only times that Indigo check the integrity of all the nodes (devices) that are included in the Z-Stick to make sure they match the types in Indigo's database. When they don't match Indigo disable communication with that device. But that process only occurs when Indigo is handshaking with the Z-Stick as part of the communication startup process.

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:27 pm
Colly offline

Matt - No I didn't remove the stick or reload/restart. I have just gone back over the log and see a few bits that may be interesting.
Code: Select all
2017-09-30 13:43:07.832   Interface Failure   lost connection with interface
2017-09-30 13:43:35.110   Z-Wave   connected to Z-Wave 3.95 static controller interface on /dev/cu.usbmodem1471 (firmware 1.00)
After that I get the following for a large number of devices:
Code: Select all
2017-09-30 13:43:35.308   Z-Wave Error   module 019 included in controller no longer matches device "Sitting Room Dimmer" type (controller module type: zwRelayType/zwDimmerType (4, 16, 1), indigo device type: zwDimmerType (4, 17, 1))
Any suggestions?You can see from the log the connection appears to be lost for only 200mS. Is that something that can be adjusted to avoid the disabling of devices? As I mentioned previously a good number of devices affected were battery operated so that me be due to the fact they don't communicate as frequently as mains devices. I can send on more details from the log if thats any use.

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Looks like the USB communication with the Z-Stick broke/dropped. Is it plugged directly into the Mac? That is more reliable.

Unfortunately when it reconnects it is giving Indigo bad or corrupt information about the modules that have been included in the Z-Stick. You can try just right-clicking on the devices when this occurs and choosing the Enable Indigo Communication menu item. That will override Indigo's disabling of that particular device. If it doesn't work correctly after overriding it, however, then that might mean the Z-Stick has gotten into a bad state. If that continuously happens and the Z-Stick is plugged directly into the Mac, then it might be malfunctioning and it is possible a replacement will work better.

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:46 pm
Colly offline

It's plugged in directly to the Mac. I'll keep an eye on things the next time I'm doing a re-sync. I might remove and reconnect just to be sure it's connected securely before that. Hopefully I'll avoid the need for a new stick.