Do non-encrypted devices *route* encrypted commands?

Posted on
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:01 pm
Jann offline

Do non-encrypted devices *route* encrypted commands?

I was just wondering. I have a few door locks (5). They are Kwikset - and I love them, but by definition locks end up at the end-points of your home. (in my case my home AND my in-law unit in back.)
SO, I was wondering, (since my locks sometime have issues communicating) does ANY "routing/repeating Z-Wave device" route packets to the lock - even though the lock uses encrypted protocols but the mid-point units (light switch, GE appliance switch, etc) don't? I *did* buy a few Aeotec Range Extender/Repeaters (ZW117) and they *do* work well (especially when plugged into outlets that actually *face* the far points of my home) but sometimes aren't quite enough...

Posted on
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:20 pm
howartp offline

Re: Do non-encrypted devices *route* encrypted commands?

What an interesting question!

Matt???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:40 am
Japple55 offline

Thought I had seen this before...I found this from a July post by Jay:

Repeating slaves don't examine a payload if the message is not for them, it just sends it on. Only the target of the encrypted payload needs to know how to unencrypt it. At least, that's my understanding (Matt's the Z-Wave expert so he can comment if I have it wrong).

No subsequent correction by Matt so I guess Jay was correct.

Jim

Posted on
Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:22 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That is correct. One note related to locks is that there has to be a module within range of the lock that supports Z-Wave beaming (FLiRS) which is the part of the protocol that allows for instant (or near instant) communication with battery operated modules. I believe all the newer modules will support that, but there are some older modules that support routing which do NOT also support beaming.

Posted on
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:39 am
Jann offline

Thanks Matt!
This was just on my mind 'cos real-world it didn't FEEL like it worked this way..but nice to know it's supposed to...
*Feel* is subjective cos there is so much else going on ya know?

Posted on
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:22 am
auto_man offline

If zwave repeaters just pass on the payload as has been stated in: "Repeating slaves don't examine a payload if the message is not for them, it just sends it on. Only the target of the encrypted payload needs to know how to unencrypt it." Is there any value to adding an Aeotec ZW117 repeater in encrypted mode? Indigo has the ability to add it as an encrypted device. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to doing this? Especially concerned about locks at distant ends of the house on exterior walls.

Posted on
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:11 pm
Jann offline

I would LOVE to know the answer to Auto_man's question...

Unless the repeaters are QUITE near the usb stick, I can't get them to add using encrypted. I usually add them when near the server/usb stick and then move them a bit away, then re-optimize the network, then move them farther... etc - until they are where I want them cos then all the devices can "help boost" them to get the messages until they are at their final position.

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:22 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

auto_man wrote:
If zwave repeaters just pass on the payload as has been stated in: "Repeating slaves don't examine a payload if the message is not for them, it just sends it on. Only the target of the encrypted payload needs to know how to unencrypt it." Is there any value to adding an Aeotec ZW117 repeater in encrypted mode? Indigo has the ability to add it as an encrypted device. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to doing this? Especially concerned about locks at distant ends of the house on exterior walls.

I cannot think of any advantage. Including with encryption will just effect commands originating from either Indigo or the repeater, and I cannot think of any commands Indigo sends to it except during sync or optimization and those commands always tend to be unencrypted even for encryption-included modules . The repeater will route all encrypted commands regardless, which will be its primary purpose.

Page 1 of 1