Flood Sensor

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:53 am
MarcoGT offline

Flood Sensor

Hi all,

I have still Indigo 6 and Z-Wave Stick S2.
I need a flood sensor to put in the kitchen.

I read (here too) bad reviews regarding the Fibaro flood sensor.

Which can I buy?

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Flood Sensor

I have an Everspring ST812 that I think I bought at Lowe's. It's still on the first battery after two years. Sometimes gives a false positive, which I think is from humidity. Otherwise I have no complaints, though I have no true positives to speak of besides when I tested it by dipping it in water.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:23 am
MarcoGT offline

That's was my second idea. The problem is that I read from the forum that there are 3 different models and only 2 models works with Indigo 6.

Two possibilities:

1. Buy Indigo 7, but at the moment I do not have the possibility to do troubleshooting if something goes wrong (and in two weeks I will leave for holidays)
2. Buy Fibaro Wall Plug, I will connect the fridge so that I can control if it goes OFF, but here I have my doubts: I think I am missing something, because if the fridge will shutdown because of power failure (and then also the Fibaro Wall Plug), I cannot get any notification.

And, with solution #2 there is one more risk, that the Wall Plug fails and the fridge goes off :D

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 am

Sorry, I'm not following. How does turning your fridge on and off relate to a flood sensor?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:17 pm
MarcoGT offline

Sorry, I meant freezer, not fridge.
If freezer goes off and stays off long time, I think water flows out from the freezer, or am I wrong?

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:24 pm

You're right, it's very likely.

But by the time the freezer has thawed that much, there's a very high chance that the food in it is ruined already.

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:13 pm
johnpolasek offline

Rather than use a flood sensor, couldn't you find a multisensor that has a subzero lower temperature limit and just trigger on that hitting 20 F or so? As DC notes, that would give you a heads up before the food was ruined...

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:46 pm
MarcoGT offline

Hi all,

thanks for the idea; yes, it looks nice.
I was thinking about the flood sensor because I am away almost 4 weeks so the "ruined" food is my last problem :mrgreen:

Which sensor do you suggest?

BTW, yesterday I upgraded to Indigo 7, it went very very smoothly, no problems; I only needs to copy images for CP to new installation

Posted on
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:37 am
durosity offline

I've installed a fair few of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014JS581E/ ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure why they're so cheap.. but they seem to work and i couldn't find any reviews that said otherwise on that device type (there were bad reviews of their other devices). Before i installed them i did a test for a couple of weeks of randomly exposing the sensor to water and every time it reported it correctly, and no false positives.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:11 am
MarcoGT offline

They do not ship to Germany. :cry:
I will look for them somewhere else

Posted on
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:32 am
durosity offline

If you want you could have them sent to me then I could forward them on for the cost of shipping?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:46 am
MarcoGT offline

Thanks for the offer

BTW, I am still thinking if the flood sensor is the best way to go to check if the freezer went off
I do not have that much time to implement something with Arduino (as read on the forum) unfortunately :(

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:57 pm
durosity offline

Wouldn’t it just be simpler then to get a z-wave socket with power monitoring? Then if the wattage drops below X you know it’s off?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:17 pm
MarcoGT offline

That's would be an idea, but you add complexity to the system :)
If the wall plug fails, freezer gets off :D

Posted on
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:30 am
durosity offline

True true! Ok what about a passive reader like https://aeotec.com/z-wave-home-energy-measure just on the line for the freezer?

Computer says no.