Indigo support for secondary controllers?

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 pm
Brendan offline

Indigo support for secondary controllers?

Does Indigo 7 support adding other Z-wave controllers as secondary controllers? The wiki page (http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=z-wave) on the subject says they can exist, but doesn't say whether Indigo supports them. In the forums, I can find years-old posts saying it's not supported and more recent posts casually mentioning their use with Indigo. But no where can I find how to configure one using Indigo. I have a Vera controller and a Z-Stick S2 that could be used as secondary controllers to my primary Z-Stick Gen 5, if I could only tell it to include one or both of them as secondary controllers.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:38 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo support for secondary controllers?

Indigo doesn't directly do anything with secondary controllers, and in fact we assume that the Z-Wave interface is the primary controller. It may be possible to make a secondary controller - but that would have to happen outside of Indigo.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:57 pm
DaveL17 offline

I have successfully included a secondary controller in my network--a Nevo remote. I was able to control devices with it. IIRC, it was included as a secondary controller in Indigo, but Indigo wasn't a part of the communication between the remote and the devices.

I no longer have that set up since switching to Gen5 for my primary controller, and I'm frankly not sure that I could redo it if I tried. But it is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

DaveL17 wrote:
IIRC, it was included as a secondary controller in Indigo

Are you sure? I'm about 90% sure that Indigo has no concept of a secondary controller (but I'll confirm with Matt).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:37 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo doesn't support the commands to switch between primary/secondary controllers, although it is possible in some cases to include some controllers as secondaries (as Dave did). It won't work great though, because Indigo won't be in the loop for when commands from that module are sent to control other modules. Specifically, the UI will be out-of-sync and triggers on device state changes for those modules won't work. For those reasons, we don't recommend it.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:30 pm
DaveL17 offline

matt (support) wrote:
Indigo doesn't support the commands to switch between primary/secondary controllers, although it is possible in some cases to include some controllers as secondaries (as Dave did). It won't work great though, because Indigo won't be in the loop for when commands from that module are sent to control other modules. Specifically, the UI will be out-of-sync and triggers on device state changes for those modules won't work. For those reasons, we don't recommend it.

Matt - that is an excellent point that I hadn't even considered. I was using the secondary controller with devices that report local changes (so Indigo was aware of the changes in a passive way).

And regarding the Nevo controller, there is actually another piece of equipment in the mix (Nevo Connect Base Unit). I think (technically) the base unit is the secondary controller, and the Nevo remote is a remote UI for that. But I'm not 100 percent sure on that front.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:18 pm
Brendan offline

Thanks for the definitive answers!

Page 1 of 1