Can't Unlock Schlage Lock

Posted on
Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:10 pm
jltnol offline

Can't Unlock Schlage Lock

So I've got a Schlage lock connected via Z-Wave to Indigo, but can't unlock it from Indigo. I'm guessing this is because the lock is "asleep", sooooo not "listening" for commands... or something along those lines. To help conserve the battery, the lock Poll Device interval is set for "only when activity detected"... but I'm now thinking that might be where the problem is, so I've changed it to every 10 minutes.

I've tried the "Optimize Z-Wave network" to no avail. Even if I just manually open and close the lock to make it active, those changes are reflected in Indigo, and I start the Optimization right away, but the lock is still "unreachable".

Code: Select all
Z-Wave                          Optimizing - starting "005 - Front Door"
   Z-Wave                          Optimizing - ping failed (could be asleep)
   Z-Wave                          Optimizing - skipped "005 - Front Door" (unreachable)

The lock was included using encryption, but this is just a bit frustrating..... can't figure out what might be wrong... Is this just more complicated that I think?

The lock does communicate with indigo perfectly.... just not the other way 'round. I've used the Lock Plugin to add user codes, and that worked fine... but now even that isn't working. The only thing that is different is that I recently changed the batteries... is there something I need to do in that case?

Do I need to create an Action Group that does something first before unlocking? Should I un-include it and try again?

Posted on
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:32 pm
howartp offline

Re: Can't Unlock Schlage Lock

With regards polling, door locks typically implement FLIRS which stands for "Frequently Listening Even Though I'm Asleep".

(Well something like that!)

It means it listens for lock/unlock commands almost constantly, but only fully wakes up hourly (or whatever is set) to receive config changes etc, like normal battery devices.

So you can set polling back to default as it will never get an answer when it asks; likewise optimisation will only work when the device actively wakes up hourly.

With regards your actual problem, I'm not 100% sure but gut instinct is telling me other users had this when inclusion with encryption hadn't succeeded - the lock (I think) still reports status when included without encryption, but for obvious reasons refuses to take instructions to unlock itself from unsecured passers by on the street.

If you edit the device and hit Write to Log, I think it gives an indication of whether encryption is on or off for this device?

If you try that and it's off, exclude and reinclude it making sure you do it WITH encryption.

Copy and paste the inclusion lines from log into here and Matt will tell you if it's succeeded or failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:11 am
jltnol offline

Thanks for the info. Of course, increasing the polling just gave me error messages, so I set it back to what I had before. When I set it up originally, it was working just fine...sooooo just not sure what is different now.

Here's the log info, which shows its encrypted, at least for some commands. Think I'll try to Exclude and then re-Include it.

Code: Select all
Jul 3, 2017, 8:06:28 AM
   Z-Wave                          Indigo Device "Front Door" Z-Wave Properties:
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 2.0.68
Node ID: 5
Model: Keypad Door Lock
Model ID: 63495044
Manufacturer: Schlage
Manufacturer ID: 003B
Protocol Version: 3.42
Application Version: 113.22
Model Definition Version: 0
Library Type: 6
Class Name: Keypad Door Lock
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 40 : 03
Command Class Base: 62
Command Versions: 20v1 80v1 62v1 63v1 85v1 86v1 22v1 70v1 71v1 72v1 98v1 7Av1 5Dv1
Encryption Status: Enabled for Commands 20 80 62 63 85 70 71 5D
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, battery, beaming, security, frequentWaking
Neighbors: 6
Associations: 1:[1]
Config Values: - none -

Posted on
Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:29 am
jltnol offline

Ok

Quick Update!

I just disconnected the battery power on the lock for a few seconds, reconnected, and now everything seems to be working fine. As I mentioned, I did just replace the batteries, so I'm guessing something just didn't get synced up correctly

:D

Page 1 of 1