Updated to Indigo 7 problem with ZWave Stick

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:11 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Updated to Indigo 7 problem with ZWave Stick

The Gen5 version of the Z-Stick doesn't need a driver. It uses macOS's built-in modem driver (shows in the popup menu as usbmodemXYZ). If you aren't seeing it then try different USB ports on the Mac. If that doesn't help, then try other USB port (hubs). If that doesn't work, then I believe it has malfunctioned.

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:06 am
Sully offline

Strange, as i t only started working after downloading the driver. Tried several USB ports.

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:20 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Which specific driver did you download? And are you sure you have the Gen5 Z-Stick?

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:37 am
Sully offline

I do not have v5

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:00 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:55 pm
Different Computers offline

Ok, I'm coming clean here, which means Matt & Jay are off the hook for this: I'm trying to run Indigo on a Hackintosh.

Indigo ran perfectly for months and months and months, but yesterday I upgraded to 10.12.5 and now my USB Aeotech Z-Stick Gen5 does not show up. Which of course means almost nothing in the house talks to Indigo!

Code: Select all
  Started interface "Z-Wave 2.0.68"
   Z-Wave Error                    "Z-Wave Controller" serial port open error: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/cu.usbmodem14E1: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/cu.usbmodem14E1'
   Z-Wave Error                    make sure the USB virtual serial port driver (ex: FTDI driver) is installed and correct port is selected
   Z-Wave Error                    Z-Wave Controller might be disconnected
   Z-Wave Error                    silently retrying serial connection every 5.0 seconds
   Interface Failure               lost connection with interface

Now, I had this problem (or something very similar) when I first tried to run Indigo on this machine, and some combo of installing FTDI USB Serial Driver and maybe something else got it recognized and functioning. It gave me some sort of serial connection entry in the Network system pref, not that I ever used it. I have the same SiLabsUSBDriver.kext and FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext installed in the new OS, (or at least newer versions with the same name) but the options in the Z-wave interface dropdowns are different and there's never an option to select the Gen5.

Anyway, I'm turning here because I'm certain that I found some reference to drivers for Z Sticks in this forum, but I don't have any idea where besides this thread. Any help appreciated! I'm 99.99% certain it's not the Z Stick having gone bad.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

As stated above, the Gen 5 stick uses the built-in modem driver from macOS. So if it's not seeing the stick, then it seems likely a side-effect of running on a hackintosh...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:27 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'll add that I'm not sure where to find the driver for it, but I am pretty sure it is not using the FTDI or SILabs chip so those are not the drivers to look for. It uses the USB modem profile (which I don't know much about, other than macOS ships with a driver to handle it by default).