LED Status Indicator panel?

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:26 am
howartp offline

LED Status Indicator panel?

Has anyone come across anything along the lines of the attached image, but more for home HA use?

We obviously have control pages in Indigo itself, which we can use on PC and Touch, but often its useful to have an at-a-glance panel of lights to show status.

In my bedroom I have an unused TKB Plug socket which has an on/off indicator LED that I actually use to represent whether my bedroom is in Sleep or Awake mode, but I'd like to expand on the concept.

I'm quite capable of building something up myself with LEDs drilled into blank faceplates but I wondered if there was a idea/concept on the market that folk had come across?

The FIbaro RGBW module would be a useful interface to it with four on/off 12/24v outputs.
Attachments
StatusPanel.jpg
StatusPanel.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 2955 times

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:43 am
johnfdl offline

Re: LED Status Indicator panel?

This makes me think of the scene from the Wizard of Oz, where the Wizard says "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" who is manipulating a bunch of switches and levers. :mrgreen:

Or perhaps something from the Dharma Initiative (Lost).

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:16 am
Different Computers offline

Well, there are these. And someone good (I forget who) is working on a plugin so I have high confidence of total controllability soon.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:48 am
howartp offline

Yeah, I looked at those for this purpose - and considered writing the plugin if I'd gone ahead - but at £180 versus a couple of on/off LEDs (ish) I decided against it.

Jon (autolog) is writing the plugin as I hoped he would. :)

Peter

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:22 am
Asconasny offline

i was thinking using a raspberry pi W for something similar, with some neopixels for something similar,

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Possibly helpful?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Kids-Sp ... anel-Prop/

http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/produc ... -panelkits

http://www.ledtronics.com/products.aspx ... defined,-1

http://amzn.to/2s4UMJB

Maybe you're handier with a soldering iron than I am, but I have to say that if I wanted something like this, I would go with a $65 amazon fire tablet running domopad and just do it in a control page.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:18 pm
johnfdl offline

But there is no "mad scientist" factor in a well polished control page. I like the idea of switches, lights, a few cathode ray tubes and maybe a tesla coil.

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Well, there is a Tesla plugin!

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:11 pm
durosity offline

Oh man.. a big tesla coil and the homebridge add on.. "hey Siri turn on the tesla coil" would be the best HA demo ever!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:39 am
mat offline

I'm working on a similar concept albeit very slowly. 1960's style control panel for the house. Almost a statement piece of functional artwork for the hall.

Not got very far yet, but have a PI and just soldering the chips up to give me 128 input/outputs (although i don't think thats enough). Its a long term project with the aim of creating something very retro. Not started the software side, and its only getting around 2 hours a month at present - but will get there. I'm liking the luna lander type switches and gauges, and looking to add a big submarine hatch wheel to control dimming of lights etc though a patch panel somehow! 1 full turn for 1% should keep us fit....although of course the ipads are there for day to day use.

Loving the idea of a tesla coil on top though!

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:24 am

Isn't there some sort of 16+ dry contact closure that's serial controlled and has an indigo plugin? Could have sworn I saw something like this. Though I suppose what's needed is contact sensors.

Here it is: http://www.easydaq.biz/PagesNET16PRMx/N ... NFRAME.htm plugin included with Indigo.

And this http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?ca ... _id=1012_2 with viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9422

Or do I have the wrong idea?

Posted on
Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:58 am
rehafer offline

I'm collecting parts for a project with strip of addressable led lights and an Arduino to make a mini display panel controlled by the Arduino plug-in. Something similar might work with bigger LEDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:04 am
johnpolasek offline

rehafer wrote:
I'm collecting parts for a project with strip of addressable led lights and an Arduino to make a mini display panel controlled by the Arduino plug-in. Something similar might work with bigger LEDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked at the led panels that Karl says he can drive from the PiBeacon plugin? Ihaven't looked at them in detail, but I think there's one that's a big square array and his only issue was making sure the power supply was adequate...

Page 1 of 1