New to Zwave question

Posted on
Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm
jltnol offline

New to Zwave question

So I'm new to Z-Wave, and have high hopes for it, but have run into a few stumbling blocks along the way

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but generally speaking, to Enroll a device into the Z-Wave network, you take the Z-Stick out of the computer, bring it near the device you with to enroll, press the button on the Z-Stick, and then press the buttons on the device needed to include it into the network.

Once that is done, to create a device in Indigo, Indigo reads the information from the Z-Stick, and the rest should be easy.

No doubt there are lots of variations on this, but generally speaking, is this the right sequence to include Z-Wave devices into Indigo ?

Posted on
Thu May 18, 2017 12:00 am
Colly offline

Re: New to Zwave question

That's correct, it works for me. You manually create in Indigo and select the available device, if you've only added 1 to the stick then that's all you will be able to select.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu May 18, 2017 12:41 am
howartp offline

Welcome!

Generally and historically, yes.

With Indigo 7 and devices which support it, you can use Network Wide Inclusion (NWI).

This means you leave the stick in the Mac, go to Interfaces > Zwave > Start Inclusion, then go to the device and press the appropriate buttons to include it, then proceed as before.

I can't say what percentage of devices support NWI but most recent/current devices should.

Don't forget, regardless which method you use, you can only have max 4 devices in the mesh between the Stick and the device (ie 6 in total). (You can have loads of devices, but max 6 hops to communicate from stick to device).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 am
johnpolasek offline

Also, for "encrypted" devices, (most especially door locks) you MUST use NWI with the enroll with encryption option in Indigo; disconnecting the z-stick and taking it to the lock enrolls it unencrypted, which doesn't work when you try to access it. And after enrolling new devices (espeically those on mains power (eneergy monitoring and plugin adaptors), it's a good idea to resync the network, since the new devices can potentially shorten the hop count and thus speed up the network.

Posted on
Thu May 18, 2017 7:36 am
jltnol offline

This is all very helpful. My problem device is indeed a lock, so I'll try the NWI inclusion method first.

As ALWAY... thanks for the invaluable help.

Cheers

Posted on
Thu May 18, 2017 9:12 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

As a general rule, you should attempt NWI from Indigo first and only take the stick to the device if that doesn't work (and that should become even less necessary as time goes by). And, as pointed out, if the device requires encrypted communication, NWI is the only way to do the inclusion.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 pm
jltnol offline

Hey guys..

I got the lock enrolled, and its working perfectly.

Once again THANKS for the never ending support!

Page 1 of 1