Kwikset 916 Z-Wave deadbolt control with Indigo 7

Posted on
Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:12 pm
sarahcat offline

Kwikset 916 Z-Wave deadbolt control with Indigo 7

There have been a number of posts about various Kwikset 91x locks. Although the lock operates its motorized bolt from the external keypad, commands from Indigo indicate that the lock is changing states from 'locked' to 'unlocked', however, the bolt motor does not operate and the bolt doesn't move. There is no mechanical or fit problem, since the motorized bolt operates from the keypad with the proper code.

1. The state in Indigo does not properly indicate the actual state of the lock, whether it is set manually from the lock lever or the keypad, even when a status request is issued from the Indigo client
2. Requests for status will not show a status change in Indigo. I.e., if the lock shows 'locked', all subsequent status requests will show 'locked', even if the physical state of the lock is unlocked. If the lock shows 'unlocked', all subsequent status requests will show 'unlocked', even if the physical state of the lock is 'locked'.
3. Requests issued from a mouse click in Indigo will typically show that an unlock command will change the state to unlocked in Indigo, but it doesn't actually activate the motorized bolt.
4. Requests issued from a mouse click in Indigo will typically show that a lock command will change the state to locked in Indigo, but it doesn't actually activate the motorized bolt.

I've tried deleting the device and excluding it, per the Indigo and Kwikset documentation, being careful to activate it with encryption, as suggested in the Forum, however, the lock still exhibits the behavior as shown in 1-4 above. I am attaching a log for the last attempt to resolve the problem. I occasionally get a 'no ack' error, but mostly, Indigo seems happy. Since I only have the single Z-wave device in my network (other than the Aeotec Z-Stick (Gen 5), which is physically connected to a USB port on my Mac, I did order an Aeotec Z-Wave repeater that I can plug in between the lock and the Mac with the connected Z-Stick, in case it's a matter of insufficient signal strength. I've also ordered a replacement for the Kwikset 916 deadbolt, just in case there is an electronic problem with the lock control.

Any input is welcome, since I plan to expand my system in the very near future and I was considering going primarily with Z-Wave, since it appears to be more of an open standard.

My control system uses a Mac Mini i7 Quad Core with 16 GB RAM, running the latest version of Indigo 7, the Z-Stick Gen 5, as well as a SmartHome 2412 Insteon Interface and two dual band repeaters, along with 2 Insteon power control devices (Switchlinks).
Attachments
Indigo Log excerpt 3-30-2017.txt
(40.99 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Kwikset 916 Z-Wave deadbolt control with Indigo 7

It looks like your Mac is having difficulties talking to your Z-Stick - see the repeated connection errors in your event log. If you have a USB hub (preferably a 2.0 hub), try plugging the Z-Stick into that and see if those comm errors continue or go away.

If they continue, then unplug all USB devices except the Z-Stick and keyboard/mouse and see if that changes anything. If you still get those errors, then you may have a bad Z-Stick.

Adding the repeater certainly couldn't hurt, but given the connection errors I don't think this is a range issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:49 am
sarahcat offline

Could some of the connection errors possibly have been caused when I removed the Z-Stick to do the local include at the lock? I am using a USB Hub that does communicate with the Z-Stick, however, it's a USB 3.0 hub. is the 3.0 an issue?

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:07 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes. And, that's probably the issue. You must include the lock with encryption which can't be done with the stick removed. You'll need to change it to use encryption.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:32 am
sarahcat offline

Since it appears that inclusion for the Kwikset lock requires the Z-Wave interface to be in very close physical proximity to the lock, I will need to remove the lock from the door and take it to the computer to which the Z-Stick is connected. Does that seem to be the correct procedure? If so, I hope this is something that only must be done with door locks (they're battery-powered) and not Aeotec's Z-Wave power control modules.

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:17 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It doesn't need to be any closer than any other Z-Wave device does to include properly. But if the encrypted inclusion doesn't work because it can't see the lock (there is a range issue), then you can install the repeater first somewhere between the lock and Indigo and include it in Indigo. Then the encrypted inclusion should work. Removing the lock to include won't solve a range issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:43 pm
johnpolasek offline

I found that inclusion with encryption does require the stick to be close to the lock(at least when I tried it); it seems that any dropped packets and the inclusion fails... What I did was use a USB to IP bridge:

https://www.amazon.com/SILEX-SX-DS-3000WN-Silex-Device-Server/dp/B00HF8SG6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490985254&sr=8-1&keywords=silex+usb+to+network+ip

Once the inclusion has taken place, it works fine even 100 ft away, but I got fail after fail on a KWIKSET 910 till I got the stick next to the lock.

It's a bit pricey it all you are going to use it for is this, but I also use it to allow me to put my RFX receiver in the attic to get better reception on all my temperature sensors and occasionally to move the powermodem anywhere I need to in the wifi reception area when I am troubleshooting insteon signal issues... and I suppose you could put the Z-stick someplace closer to where you WOULD have put the relay.

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:54 pm
sarahcat offline

John,

How close are you speaking of? Kwikset implies that the Z-Stick would need to be within inches. Are you just speaking of closER than I might be now, due to a signal strength problem, causing transmission errors? I have an Ethernet switch and WiFi gateway that is within 15 feet of the door where the lock is installed. If there is a USB-Ethernet bridge that would work to connect the Z-Stick to the Mac through the network, then I could relocate the Z-Stick to that location. I'm concerned only because even some local USB hubs prevented Indigo from seeing the Z-Stick. That connection seems finicky, due to apparent timing issues.

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:02 pm
johnpolasek offline

I had 4 fails in a row with the Z-stick about 50 ft and 2 walls away from the mac and hub. I then got it to link first time with the stick on the floor at the base of the door, using the wireless option in the bridge. And a month later, I added 2 more (one of them 100 ft away) using the same technique. I did get one fail on one of the new locks, but it worked second time around, and the locks have been working fine for the past 5 months until a couple of days ago when the one we use most frequently started giving me come "no ack"s.. . My gut says battery even though it still shows 40%; I'm planning on replacing the batteries as soon as I get by the store for long life lithium's..

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:33 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just FYI - I've included/excluded mine several times while testing through 2 walls and about 30' with no issues.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:37 pm
howartp offline

Jay, despite what you say (and I agree in theory), there have been a number of these locks exhibiting the same issues on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

sarahcat wrote:
I'm concerned only because even some local USB hubs prevented Indigo from seeing the Z-Stick. That connection seems finicky, due to apparent timing issues.

Somewhat ironically, we've found that USB 3 issues on newer Macs can be a problem for Z-Sticks and one solution is to hook up a USB 2.0 hub to the Mac and it stabilizes the connection (which is completely opposite our experience with Insteon PowerLincs). The brand/type of hub seems to be hit or miss (I have a Dynex hub that my development Z-Stick is plugged into and it works fine).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:40 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

howartp wrote:
Jay, despite what you say (and I agree in theory), there have been a number of these locks exhibiting the same issues on this forum.

And just as many (perhaps more) have not reported that kind of issue. So, it's hard to say what the problem actually is unfortunately. I've stated my experience above which at least shows that it's possible to make it work when further away than inches...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't have any info on how close the Z-Stick needs to be to the lock for inclusion, but I did want to definitively say that the original problems you were reporting were because the lock was not included with encryption enabled. You can tell it isn't enabled because of this log line:

2017-03-30 21:01:08.041 Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved encrypt commands: - none -

In that case the module will acknowledge that it receives commands (for locking/unlocking/status request) but then it just ignores them. So from Indigo's perspective the command was received but then the lock just drops the command since it wasn't sent with encryption.

I also noticed from your log that you put it into encrypted inclusion mode but then it doesn't show that it was actually included before the sync started:

2017-03-30 21:00:37.343 Z-Wave started controller inclusion mode with encryption
2017-03-30 21:01:04.164 Z-Wave stopping controller inclusion mode
2017-03-30 21:01:04.291 Z-Wave stopped controller inclusion mode

That means the lock was already included before. Once it is included you cannot just re-include it with encryption enabled, but rather you have to fully exclude it then re-include it with encryption.

Have you tried yet making sure it is excluded then re-including it from Indigo (with encryption enabled, and withOUT removing the Z-Stick)? That is, are you positive there is a range problem?

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:52 pm
sarahcat offline

Somewhat ironically, we've found that USB 3 issues on newer Macs can be a problem for Z-Sticks and one solution is to hook up a USB 2.0 hub to the Mac and it stabilizes the connection (which is completely opposite our experience with Insteon PowerLincs). The brand/type of hub seems to be hit or miss (I have a Dynex hub that my development Z-Stick is plugged into and it works fine).

I just ordered the Dynex hub. It has a couple of vertical USB slots and it's less than $10 with free shipping. If it's the standard for your development, then at least we're comparing similar conditions. My Mini is Late 2012 (it does have USB 3 ports), so I'm not sure if you consider that 'newer'. Also, I guess I'm also assuming that you are using the Z-Stick Gen 5, Z-Wave Plus. I have some other gear that is 'Z-Wave Plus'. What's the Plus about?