Oh please let this be affordable

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:37 pm
johnfdl offline

Re: Oh please let this be affordable

roussell wrote:
Different Computers wrote:
Soooo... the iBeacon with some sort of power is on the collar, and then what, a RPi detects the beacon? I ask because I'm used to doing this the other way around, where a static beacon gets detected by Home Remote on a phone.

Yep! It actually works really well, since the trash can doesn't eat the tile (unlike the dogs), it never fails to let me know if it hasn't been taken to the curb {At 7:00pm on Monday's, if the trashcan tile is present (Meaning the can is beside the house and not at the curb. Indigo doesn't pick up the tile at the curb), make a Sonos announcement telling me to take the trash out}. The dogs are an experiment because our next home will have much more land and I'm thinking of several RPIs spaced around the property to get a rough location of the dogs, assuming they stop eating the tiles... Really just for fun more than anything else, although it would be nice to tie it into an electric dog door - to keep out any curious critters...

Terry

Hmm...this is a great idea. I can't tell you how many times I forget to take the trash out. I have several of the XY2 iBeacons and was concerned about water resistance, but these appear to be water resistant, so perhaps it might work. Of course, I could just schedule a reminder (and skip the 'intelligence') to take the trash out, but where's the fun in that?

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:35 pm
roussell offline

johnfdl wrote:
Of course, I could just schedule a reminder (and skip the 'intelligence') to take the trash out, but where's the fun in that?

Heh, that's what I did first, but after a while I was asked: "Why doesn't it know the stupid trash is already out?!?" My reply: "Great idea babe, give me a few days..." I love it when it's THEIR idea to spend money on toys! :twisted:

Terry

Posted on
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:04 am
howartp offline

Am I missing something here?

The device shouts "Hello?" every 2.5 minutes or whenever it moves, to see if it's at home or not; if it gets a reply then it tells Indigo "I'm home" - fine - but if it doesn't get a reply it tells Indigo "I'm not home".

Erm... it's not home so Indigo isn't going to receive that notification?!

We're going to have to use timers to see when the last "I'm home" notice was received and assume if it's more than 2.5 minutes then it's away?

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/Prod ... 0Guide.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:00 am
roussell offline

roussell wrote:
johnpolasek wrote:
Seems like you could use Chicago screws or the like to bolt it to the collars...

Thanks, yeh I saw that post/device. I like it but I need to see one to see if it is too large, plus they're $30 here so didn't want to get one until I was pretty sure it would work as I needed (although they're already chewed up more $ than that). We've thought about installing a "smart" dog door, and those have purpose-built collar tags, so I've wondered if they were iBeacon-able devices. If so, they would be ideal.

Terry

Cross-posted here and to the Milwaukee Tick thread in case anyone is interested and not watching both threads. Just noticed that Amazon has the Tick for $15.99USD with Prime shipping; much better than the $30 Home Depot is charging locally. https://www.amazon.com/MILWAUKEE-ONE-KEY-TICK-Equipment-Tracker/dp/B01MR52NRR

Posted on
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 am
Different Computers offline

So the Tick is a beacon? A potential part of a Rpi based tracking setup?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:06 pm
roussell offline

Different Computers wrote:
So the Tick is a beacon? A potential part of a Rpi based tracking setup?

Yep, at least according to this:
http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18507

Terry

Posted on
Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 pm
kw123 offline

If it sends ibeacon signals it will be treated like an ibeacon Nothing special about it from pibeacon plugin point of view.

Only interesting question what is
- signal strength (hold it 1 m away from rpi, that signal value is the TX power )
- repetition rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk