Z-wave "all on/off" command

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:53 pm
lochnesz offline

Z-wave "all on/off" command

I have a Z-wave remote control which can send "all on/off" commands. How does that command work? Is it sent as a special Z-wave command directly to devices supporting the command (something like associated devices), or is it the controller that handles the command? If routed through the controller, is there a way in Indigo to block the command?

Can all Z-wave devices that support all on/off be configured to ignore this command? I am thinking that it could be a part of the Z-wave "framework" that it has to be configurable.

Thanks!
Peter

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Z-wave "all on/off" command

There is a "switch all" command class, but it apparently doesn't really work as one might expect it to (and doesn't seem widely supported as it's not a required class). So your remote either uses that class or, more likely, it can function as a primary or secondary controller and will just send individual off commands to each device it knows about that supports on/off.

And, no, not all devices that actually support the "switch all" command class have the ability to turn it on/off. Some do, others don't, and yet others can configure it to work under some circumstances and not under others (apparently).

NOTE: this is just from what I've read on the net - Matt may have a different explanation... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:20 am
lochnesz offline

Thanks!

@Matt, do you have additional information? (or anyone else?)

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I've seen modules (some Fibaro) that have configuration parameters that can be set to enable/disable if that particular module responds to the All On/Off commands. There might be configuration parameters on the controller/sender side as well to disable it from sending the All On/Off commands (in which case it would be all or nothing for that controller). So you'll want to try to find the specifics on the modules you have to see if that functionality can be changed. Indigo doesn't have any direct control over how/when those commands are sent, and the configuration parameters for controlling the behavior are model/manufacturer specific.

Page 1 of 1