Encrypted vs non-encrypted; which to use?

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:31 pm
jalves offline

Encrypted vs non-encrypted; which to use?

Just wondering which is the "better" choice when adding new Z-wave devices, encrypted or non-encrypted. I recently installed a couple of locks and a garage door opener and used encrypted on them as it appeared to be necessary for Indigo to see all the available features.

I've also got a bunch of multi-sensors that I included without encryption and they seem to function just fine. Would there be any advantage to switching them to encrypted? Can that actually be done with multi sensors?

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:40 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Encrypted vs non-encrypted; which to use?

Not all modules support encryption but all of the Gen5 (newer) ones do. That said, we recommend only using encryption for modules where you feel it is useful/needed. Locks and garage control would be a must, lighting/appliance I would skip it, and for motion and door/window sensors I don't have a clear recommendation.

The disadvantage of encryption is that it is slower and causes significantly more Z-Wave commands to be sent. This will decrease battery life and increase the odds of collisions/congestion on the network. The advantage of encryption is, of course, that it is encrypted and will prevent both snooping and spoofing of commands.

Page 1 of 1