Z wave hinge pin

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:39 pm
Indy_Larry offline

Z wave hinge pin

I just herd about this device and could see it having some benifits. Hopefully they do realize not all door hinges are SS.

https://byjasco.com/products/ge-z-wave-plus-hinge-pin-smart-door-sensor

Larry

Insteon, Z Wave, Hue, Sonos

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:45 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Z wave hinge pin

Very cool, I may order a couple or three of those. Oh, and SS isn't the only option.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 1.44.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 1.44.54 PM.png (102.59 KiB) Viewed 3904 times

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:26 pm
roussell offline

It would seem like the hinge point is the worst location to detect a door being slightly ajar. Now if it would report angular door position, that would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:35 pm
FlyingDiver offline

How strange. When I try to open that link, I get an error message in my browser:
Code: Select all
Sorry, 108.162.212.163 has been banned.

Which is NOT my public IP address.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:44 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

roussell wrote:
It would seem like the hinge point is the worst location to detect a door being slightly ajar.

I don't see why if you calibrate the sensor to when the door is closed versus opened. It's not too dissimilar to how I utilize my Add-A-Motor drape controller, just dialed in so I can predictably open, close or any point in between.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:51 am
roussell offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
roussell wrote:
It would seem like the hinge point is the worst location to detect a door being slightly ajar.

I don't see why if you calibrate the sensor to when the door is closed versus opened. It's not too dissimilar to how I utilize my Add-A-Motor drape controller, just dialed in so I can predictably open, close or any point in between.

It was based on the assumption that there is inherent "slop" in the mechanism, which I admit is a suspicion based on the lack of quality I often see in consumer electronics these days. Anywho... Consider the door being open 1/2 inch (or less) - enough to appear closed, but not enough to engage the latching mechanism. A traditional magnetic door/window sensor (installed on the strike plate side of the door (opposite the hinge) would have that full 1/2 inch span to register an ajar condition, but 30-36 inches away -near the hinge point- that lateral movement is extremely small. My thoughts were around the question of the sensor having enough precision to detect that small movement, consistently. It probably wouldn't be a problem on a bathroom or closet door, but could be an issue on an entry door. My doors have those hinge-pin door stops that keep the door from opening too far; over time they seem to push the pin up and out of the hinge a bit, which reduces their effectiveness, I wonder if these would act similarly.

At any rate, it's a cool device, and I'm interested to see how they turn out. I guess I'm just too old school when it comes to these types of sensor devices and just prefer hardwired if possible.

Terry

Posted on
Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:59 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Oh, I'll agree 1000% that a magnetic switch is going to be far better, but this isn't bad and is much easier to retrofit and with less of an obvious change. Putting magnetic sensors on all my inside doors would be ugly (unless I opt for the ones you actually route into the door), this is good for those "one-off" times where an open or closed doors is a trigger for something.

That being said, I really don't have a lot of use for something to let me know a door was opened or closed that I haven't already accounted for, but for a retrofit I would try this - especially for the low price and ease of installation.

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1