Trying to trace a Z-Wave Issue

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:11 pm
colinpartridge offline

Trying to trace a Z-Wave Issue

I could do with some help in trying to fault find an issue with Z-Wave devices. I have a number of z-wave devices connected to lights which over the last few days have been driving my wife mad, by all turning on for a few minutes and then turning off again a few minutes later. I thought it might be an issue with upgrading to I7 but going back to I6 has not improved things. To make matters worse, I'm working away from home and having to rely on Teamviewer to debug. I've tried turning off all z-wave comms in Indigo and that didn't help. I've now shut down Indigo server to see if the problem still occurs,

Suggestions gratefully received..

Colin

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:42 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Trying to trace a Z-Wave Issue

My first guess would be a rogue trigger/schedule. I've had that happen so many times and is the primary reason I start my entire Indigo DB over from scratch every other year - I just never remember what is lurking in there.

You can also turn on Z-Wave debugging in the interfaces to see what's hitting the waves.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:27 pm
durosity offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
My first guess would be a rogue trigger/schedule. I've had that happen so many times and is the primary reason I start my entire Indigo DB over from scratch every other year - I just never remember what is lurking in there.

You can also turn on Z-Wave debugging in the interfaces to see what's hitting the waves.

You create a new DB every year? Wow.. it's taken me 4 years to perfect my DB.. and it's still not done ;)

@colin have you had a look at the show dependencies option if you right click on one of the devices in indigo? Might highlight something.

I suppose if it's something that doesn't pick up on one thing you could do to find anything that relates to those devices is copy your DB, open it up in something like text wrangler (if memory serves rename it to DB.zip and then unzip it) and do a search for anything using that device ID. I've found that quite useful in the past for finding things in embedded scripts on triggers or action groups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, wait - how did you disable comms? If you disable the Z-Wave interface then that should totally shut down all communication. If it continued to happen after that, then you've got ghosts or something...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:07 pm
DaveL17 offline

Just throwing out another idea which might be gibberish. Is it possible that an association is to blame?

Unless I'm mistaken, once associations are created, the associated devices can talk to each other even if no controller is present.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:32 pm
colinpartridge offline

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I looked at the schedules and triggers and couldn't see anything there that could cause this behaviour. So to eliminate Indigo from the equation I disabled the communications from any of the Z-wave devices ( its only z-wave devices that are affected), thinking that would solve it and then I could turn comms on per device to isolate what was causing it. However doing this didn't help, still getting random lights turning on then off.
I didn't think to disable the Z-wave plugin as Jay suggests. Anyway I don't think its Indigo related per se, as even with Indigo Server shut down, I got a message from home earlier to say that the lights were still "playing up".
DaveL17 may have hit it with his suggestion that it may be association related as I do have a number of those set up , but generally they are to synchronise two lights together rather than say a motion sensor triggering a light.
I'm sure its just coincidence but these random acts have only started after upgrading to I7, is there any way that associations could have been affected by the changes made in I7 to Z-wave support?
I need to reinstate Indigo to check this out unless there is another way, or may be there is a ghost in the machine... either way I think I'm in the doghouse when I get back home next week.

Colin

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Colin,

colinpartridge wrote:
I'm sure its just coincidence but these random acts have only started after upgrading to I7, is there any way that associations could have been affected by the changes made in I7 to Z-wave support?

Note really. Indigo only reads and writes the associations during a device sync or if you choose the menu to manage associations, and not much changed in how Indigo handles associations in Indigo 7. The next time it happens you could have your wife physically unplug the Z-Stick. If the problem persists then that will rule out both Indigo and a faulty Z-Stick as the culprit.

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:43 pm
colinpartridge offline

matt (support) wrote:
Hi Colin,

colinpartridge wrote:

Note really. Indigo only reads and writes the associations during a device sync or if you choose the menu to manage associations, and not much changed in how Indigo handles associations in Indigo 7. The next time it happens you could have your wife physically unplug the Z-Stick. If the problem persists then that will rule out both Indigo and a faulty Z-Stick as the culprit.

I'm pretty confident its not Indigo, but we will see over the next day or so what happens, I'm not back at home until next week so a replacement Z-stick will have wait.

Thanks everyone

C

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:22 pm
colinpartridge offline

So I finally returned home today and got right down to trying to repair home automations reputation. Its early days but I think I've got to the bottom of the issue. It would appear that a Fibaro RGBW Controller (FGRGBWM) had gone rogue.
Although it appeared it to be ok the internal associations appear to be broken. On the face of it each association group appeared to have just one member (Indigo Z-wave Interface), However when I deleted all the Indigo associations they were replaced with a list of unknown devices...see image attached.

Once these unknown devices were removed, the ghost in the machine was exorcised, so far.

Colin
Attachments
Indigo 7.jpg
Indigo 7.jpg (129.91 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

Page 1 of 1