Is this device supported?

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:02 pm
trevorsmith offline

Is this device supported?

i need a relay to turn my CH boiler on and off under my control. I've seen this one

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-horstmann-z-wave-controlled-boiler-receiver-hrt

Would it work from within version 7?

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:35 pm
autolog offline

Re: Is this device supported?

Hi Trevor,
Yes it does work in Indigo 7 - I use it to turn my boiler on and off.
The only thing to be mindful of is that you need to send it a "keep awake" message every hour (or 55 minutes) in order for it to stay online.

So you need some logic (pseudo code) like:
Code: Select all
if device status is on:
    send on
else:
    send off
Just receiving the command will keep it awake.

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:23 pm
trevorsmith offline

Thank you Jon

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:20 am
trevorsmith offline

One more silly question if I may - you say it switches the boiler on and off....do you mean it switches the HEATING side of the boiler on and off, or the boiler as a whole?!?

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:56 am
autolog offline

Hi Trevor,
The heating side. :)

My system used to have one thermostat in the living room. The simplest way I found to wire the system was to remove the thermostat wires from the main heating junction box and wire in the relay in its place. At the moment I have still left the standard 7 day timer wired in. It means that if push came to shove, I could just re-wire in the old thermostat back in, replace my Stella-Z radiator valves with standard TRVs and my heating would be back in business. :)

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:33 pm
trevorsmith offline

Nice, thanks. No room stat already, so CH currently comes on with the timer built into the boiler...I'm not clear whether this timer will have to be set to "Constant" in some way so that I can switch CH off and on at will from Indigo. My logic will switch on the heating if ANY of my rooms drops below its target temperature, regardless of time of day - I have time zones set up that reflect our use of the house through the day and evening.

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 am
trevorsmith offline

I now have this device working nicely - thanks for the help.

The ony issue I have now is that I'd like to detect if a user (my wife!) has pressed the On or Off button on the relay (rather than use the control page I created)....I'd like that change to be reflected in my logic, of course, but I cant find an event sent to Indigo on which to base a trigger. I could modify the logic so it polls the device to get its state, checking that if it has changed (and the logic wasn't expecting it to: so she has pressed a button) but that's quite a bit more work than I'd like!

I would have expected a heating state change event to be sent to Indigo, but my triggers don't happen :(

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Is anything shown in the Event Log when you manually control it (via the buttons on the unit)? If so, copy/paste what is shown. Turn on the debug logging first via the Interfaces->Z-Wave->Configure... menu item (debug logging checkbox). If nothing is logged, then the only option is to periodically poll the device. There might be an option in the device settings dialog to enable the polling. If there isn't, then we can probably add it.

Page 1 of 1