HomeSeer HS-WD100+

Posted on
Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:55 pm
markf424 offline

HomeSeer HS-WD100+

Any idea if this in-wall dimmer is supported? I've read mixed reviews, but it is pretty feature-rich. I'm looking to add about a dozen new dimmers in the house and am deciding between this one, more Linear or GE dimmers, or the Lutron Caseta class.

Thanks.

https://shop.homeseer.com/products/home ... 4629775366

Posted on
Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:10 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: HomeSeer HS-WD100+

For that price point, I'd recommend that you consier Leviton (check the supported device list first). I have Leviton in wall switches and they have been rock solid.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:16 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

https://twitter.com/indigodomo/status/7 ... 3855634432

Put it this way: I have both a dimmer and an switch (relay) installed in my house working quite nicely. I attempted a trick on my spouse by reversing the paddles (up=off, down=on) on the switch, but he uses Alexa almost exclusively for that switch so he hasn't even noticed yet.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:34 pm
DaveL17 offline

jay (support) wrote:
https://twitter.com/indigodomo/status/773340363855634432

Put it this way: I have both a dimmer and an switch (relay) installed in my house working quite nicely. I attempted a trick on my spouse by reversing the paddles (up=off, down=on) on the switch, but he uses Alexa almost exclusively for that switch so he hasn't even noticed yet.

Maybe he reads the forums Jay! :D

Posted on
Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:01 pm
markf424 offline

jay (support) wrote:
https://twitter.com/indigodomo/status/773340363855634432

OK, so not currently but in the pre-Thanksgiving future.. is that the way I should read this?

As an aside, are you happy with the products?

The Levitons are on my list too but I don't like the micro dimmer buttons.

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:00 am
DaveL17 offline

markf424 wrote:
The Levitons are on my list too but I don't like the micro dimmer buttons.

In case your concern is that you have to use just the tip of a finger to change brightness, that's not the case. The bottom of the switch is for toggle on/off and you can place a flat finger on the micro button to change brightness without worrying about toggling the switch.

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I haven't looked at the Leviton switches. I like these HS switches because they are the closest to Insteon SwitchLincs as I've yet seen in the Z-Wave world, and I quite like those. The last time I looked at Leviton decora switches they didn't actually toggle, only the bottom part of the switch was active. I really didn't like that.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:52 am
Barilko offline

I just put about a dozen of these HomeSeer dimmers in my house because I thought the double/triple tap scene control would be a nice feature if\when indigo supports it in the future. I also have some GE's that I swapped out for the HomeSeer dimmers to keep them all looking the same on the main floor of my house (requirement for wife acceptance). I have noticed that I get more LED flickering on some circuits that I didn't have with the GE's which surprised me because except for the nice dim level indicator on the front on the HomeSeer, they look like the same hardware.

I haven't started to swap LED bulbs yet to see if I can find ones that don't flicker as much with these switches. I had been using all Philips Warm Glow dimmable LEDs (also to keep the wife happy) so I don't really want to move back to bulbs that don't have the incandescent look when you dim them. I think Sylvania makes a "Sunset Effect" LED that does the same thing but they aren't as easy to find here in Canada.

I found this bulb compatibility chart after I bought the switches and some (but not all) of my problem bulbs were the clear Philips bulbs in the chart (http://www.homeseer.com/compare-led-bul ... wd100.html) that apparently don't work well with these switches but worked fine with my GE's.

So, I do like the way the HomeSeer dimmers look and operate and the screw terminals are nice for installation (same as GE), but I'm a bit concerned that I seem to have more LED flicker issues now. They seemed like a great idea at first but I'm holding off on selling my GEs just in case I have to switch back. Maybe I should have gone insteon :( I'd love to try Lutron RadioRA2 but the price scares me away every time I start adding it up.

I had been hoping the topic of these switches would come up here. I bought them as soon as they were available in Canada but I didn't bother starting the conversation since there was an #indigo7sneak that hinted they might be fully supported in the new version so I was just going to wait. I'm curious to hear if anyone else is having more LED flicker issues with these.

I also tried the Leviton... If they are the ones I tried, I hated the dimmer push buttons on the switches. You had to push those micro buttons so hard they hurt your fingers. I also had people hit the top of the switch a couple of times hard enough to pop the switch out into it's air-gap position which was pretty annoying.

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:20 pm
markf424 offline

Thanks for the comments. Barilko, your feedback is very valuable. I'll be interested to hear what you decide.

The Leviton "strike the bottom" paddle functionality is weird to me as well. As is the micro-dimmer button. I don't think I can get used to those. My cheap Linear and GE dimmers have worked great, smoothly dimmed all of my LEDs, and are intuitive to guests. This is one reason I'm considering using them for my extension project, which is a guest/pool house.

I had two homes with Lutron Homeworks 8, and currently have some old RA version 1 dimmers in my house working with Indigo. I have always loved Lutron, but I'm apprehensive about the Caseta product. Not having a paddle is a little strange, and I worry about range between the guest house and my main house. I am pretty tempted, though, as the pricing is very reasonable for Lutron.

Posted on
Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 pm
Barilko offline

I haven't sorted out my LED bulb issues yet, but I just wanted to post back and say that the double/triple click actions on the Homeseer dimmers work now that I have updated to Indigo 7 where these dimmers are fully supported!
I set a few to have the double click on/off to turn on/off a group of lights in my house. Example: upstairs hall light switch "double-click off" turns off all the lights on the main floor so when I'm heading to bed I can just double click the hall dimmer outside my bedroom to make sure all the lights are off on the main floor.
I set another dimmer in my mudroom so that double click on opens the garage door and double-click off closes the garage door.
The double/triple clicks seem to get picked up by Indigo almost instantly! Indigo 7 has been worth the upgrade price for this feature alone for me! Thu upgrade was pretty much painless. I had to re-sync these dimmers after the upgrade but that was about it.

Posted on
Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:10 pm
norcoscia offline

Quick question Barilkno - hope you don't mind. Do the HS switches let you turn off the led(s) on the switch (or do they go out when the lights are off) - I wanted to use some in my bedroom but don't want any lights coming from the switches? Thx for any help...

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, the LEDs are off when the light's off. On the relay (on/off) model, there are a couple of different LED modes you can set, including having it always off.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:47 pm
norcoscia offline

Perfect, thanks Jay

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:00 pm
DaveL17 offline

DaveL17 wrote:
For that price point, I'd recommend that you consier Leviton (check the supported device list first). I have Leviton in wall switches and they have been rock solid.

A note about the Leviton dimmers for LEDs. The number of supported LED bulbs is small. I'd still recommend them for supported loads.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on one, but my LEDs weren't on the list, so I opted for the Dragon Tech WD-100 instead (assuming it's the same as the HomeSeer WD-100). It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:28 pm
Brady offline

I currently have about 10 GE switches in the house and have been getting a bit frustrated with the lack of instant status updates. Do these HomeSeer switches support instant status when controlled locally or do they have to wait for polling the same as GE?

We bought our house this past year and I'm slowly putting switches everywhere and I'm beginning to think I started down the wrong path with the GE/Jasco switches/dimmers. If the HomeSeer switches support instant status in Indigo 7, I might start replacing a few and either sell the old or put them in lower priority spots in the house.