Dual Z-Wave Controllers (dual interfaces) at once

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:10 pm
joel.snyder offline

Dual Z-Wave Controllers (dual interfaces) at once

My Z-wave network cannot be made reliable with the usual repeaters and so on, so I would like to have two different Z-wave networks operating at the same time. I have seen some complicated ideas involving multiple installations of Indigo (or other tools) with MQTT busses or other technology, but my life would be immeasurably easier if I could just have Indigo talk to two different Z-wave controllers, each handling a different set of Z-wave devices.

The current GUI doesn't seem to support such an idea, so I'm wondering if this is a planned change? Is there a way to "fake it up" with a plugin that could talk to the other controller? Or is there a hidden feature that I haven't seen to run two separate Z-wave interfaces, each with a diverse set of devices?

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Dual Z-Wave Controllers (dual interfaces) at once

There are no current plans to change the built-in Z-Wave interface in Indigo to support multiple controllers/networks.

One option is to use a Vera and the Vera Bridge plugin (assuming it handles the devices you want to control).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:25 am
joel.snyder offline

Well, it took me a long time to get around to this, but I tried the Vera, found it seriously lacking, and ended up using the Universal Devices ISY994z box to handle this.

The UDI box is much "nicer" (for some definition of "nicer") than the Vera box when it comes to more technical stuff and getting the GUI out of the way. It's not quite nice enough for me to ditch my Indigo, but it does integrate well and has a fairly robust API. Support is OK if you're a fan; if you complain that something doesn't work right, they ignore you...

I still would love to see Indigo handle multiple Z-wave networks (or more precisely multiple adapters), but in the meantime, the UDI box is doing this using the UDI plugin for me quite reliably right now.

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:36 am
joel.snyder offline

My application (in case anyone cares) is for a property where Z-Wave doesn't reach between buildings. I have lots of fiber available, so extending the USB to put a Z-Wave stick in each building is fairly simple, ,but there is no simple or elegant way to make Z-Wave work jumping across the open space. I'm already wary of depending too much on RF within a building with various qualities and thicknesses of walls, and getting it to go across open space has just not been reliable.

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:52 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

There's always the option of getting another Indigo license and a Craigslist Mac Mini for $200, that'll always work.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:21 pm
joel.snyder offline

Having two instances of Indigo is, with all due respect, not a particularly good option. Events that occur on one side need to propagate to the other side, and vice versa. Now, if there were a way to cluster two Indigo instances so that they looked like one "master" version, I'd have no problem with buying another Mac Mini + License. But having two home automation systems is having two home automation systems. That's not what I think anyone is really looking for.

Even a plugin that linked two Indigos would be good, but I don't see anything happening in that direction...

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:32 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Apologies, I thought you were seeking suggestions.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1