Evolov remote switch configuration

Posted on
Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:53 pm
Different Computers offline

Evolov remote switch configuration

I've got an Evolv Dimmer and an Evolv Remote Switch.

I would like the remote switch to do the same things the main dimmer does.

This is not obvious in Indigo, as when I try to use the device state of the remote switch in a trigger for the dimmer, the only options Indigo gives me are "Device state changed" not on/off or dimming. So how do I do it?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:11 am

Re: Evolov remote switch configuration

Tried setting up Indigo so that if the remote switch has ANY change, the dimmer switch toggles.

I appear to have the logic right, but there's no reaction from the dimmer switch and I don't think Indigo even notices the remote switch being tapped.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Unfortunately, the Evolve switches (at least the ones I have) don't report status changes when manually operated. So you need to set them to poll periodically (in the device config) so that Indigo will know that their state has changed. I don't believe they even send the "I've changed so poll me for the new value" message that some switches do (this avoids the Lutron patent issue), so you'll have to have Indigo poll it periodically. Note, however, that polling too frequently with too many devices leads to network congestion.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:44 pm

:cry: ooh, well that's very sad.

I can't imagine a way to both poll the switch often enough for responsiveness and avoid network congestion. I imagine 3 seconds is way too much, and even then that's slow for a switch to respond.

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:18 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Z-Wave is a pretty peppy protocol - as long as you don't have many devices that you're polling frequently, it probably would be OK to poll pretty frequently. Of course it also depends on how many total devices you have, what their operation is, how reliable the network is, etc., so it's really just something you'll need to experiment with.

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to the Z-Wave forum since it's Z-Wave specific.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:07 pm

So you think polling 1 device every second would be OK?

Is there a way to re-define its polling interval without removing it and re-adding it?

I've got about 16 Z-wave devices now and rarely if ever see problems with them once I've got them associated. My biggest responsiveness problem is with some lights connected through my Hue bridge.

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:33 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just edit the device, and the top popup in the config dialog will control how often it's polled. You can do "as often as possible", in which case Indigo will wait until it thinks the Z-Wave network is idle and will perform the poll.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Apparently I'm missing something.

Edit Device doesn't give me any options about polling, Define and Sync doesn't either.

When I click on Edit Device Settings, I get the attached, and none of it is editable:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 10.55.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 10.55.33 PM.png (132.49 KiB) Viewed 2952 times

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:45 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Is that the companion switch or the dimmer itself?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:25 am

The companion "remote" switch.

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That's likely the problem - my guess is that the remote switch, since it doesn't actually control any load, doesn't tell Indigo that it's a switch, so Indigo doesn't know that it has any state to request.

Press the "Write to Log" button, then switch to the Event Log window and copy/paste in the information that's written there into a reply post. That will confirm what types of communications that the remote switch supports.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:52 am

Indigo Z-Wave Version: 1.0.362
Node ID: 15
Model: Remote Switch
Model ID: 54573033
Manufacturer: Evolve
Manufacturer ID: 0113
Protocol Version: 3.36
Application Version: 5.30
Model Definition Version: 0
Library Type: 6
Class Name: Remote Switch
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 12 : 00
Command Class Base: 00
Command Versions: 20v1 85v1 26v1 87v1 27v1 70v1 72v1 86v1 25v1
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, beaming
Neighbors: 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 14
Associations: 1:[1]
Config Values: - none -

Posted on
Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We see the problem: Command Class Base: 00

That indicates to Indigo that it basically does nothing (dimmers have a different number). LOL. We'll add it to the list of things to look at in a future release. It will require coding I think, so it's likely not going to happen in a dot release.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:58 am

You can tell it's a slow day around the house today. I'm revisiting this.

I don't see anything in the log when I press the Remote Switch, but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, because back in the bad old SmartThings days I had this switch working, so it must be saying SOMETHING with Z-wave when I press it.

Is there a way to capture the raw z-wave that I'm missing? Or to associate this remote switch with the other switch directly in the z-wave setup?

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:02 am

Hey!

Never mind, I figured out how to associate the Remote Switch with the Switch that actually controls the lamps.

Is there a section of the guide that explains uses for associations? I haven't used a one of these before this.

Page 1 of 1