[ANSWERED]: Removing a dead zwave device from z-stick.

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:15 pm
simdude offline

[ANSWERED]: Removing a dead zwave device from z-stick.

I have a dimmer switch that failed. I deleted the device from Indigo and selected the "Removed Failed Devices" from the zwave interface but if I add a new device and select Z-wave, the delete dimmer is still showing as an option. I have no way to exclude it from the zwave stick since the device died and I can't unpair. How do I get rid of this device from the stick? I have the Gen5 Aeotek stick.

Mark

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Removing a dead zwave device from the zwave stick.

Hi Mark,

Create a new temporary device (delete it when you are done) and assign in the node ID of the failed module. Have Indigo try the define/sync with it. That will fail, of course, but then the Removed Failed Devices menu item should work better because the Z-Stick will know the module is no longer reachable.

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:40 am
simdude offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Removing a dead zwave device from z-stick.

I gave this a try and and when it can't find the device, Indigo gives me the message about the device not found, it may be unreachable or sleeping. I then do the remove failed devices. To check, I try to add another temporary device to see if it comes up again and it still shows up in the stick. I had this problem when I was first playing around and reset the whole stick but that is highly undesirable as it requires completing resetting up/pairing everything again. Any other ideas?

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:15 am
autolog offline

I was having problems getting this to work this morning as Indigo keep on giving me messages indicating it had failed to remove a failed module :?

Anyway, what I did was set-up a temporary device, started a sync and selected an available node that I knew to be no longer existing. I then did the Sync which after a while failed. I then quit the Sync dialogue and did the Z-wave 'Remove Failed Modules from Controller'. I let that complete and then did a Reload (NOT RESET) of the Z-wave interface. When the Z-wave interface came back, I checked to see if the node was there and it had disappeared = success :D

Give it a try and see what happens :)

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:51 am
simdude offline

autolog wrote:
I was having problems getting this to work this morning as Indigo keep on giving me messages indicating it had failed to remove a failed module :?

Anyway, what I did was set-up a temporary device, started a sync and selected an available node that I knew to be no longer existing. I then did the Sync which after a while failed. I then quit the Sync dialogue and did the Z-wave 'Remove Failed Modules from Controller'. I let that complete and then did a Reload (NOT RESET) of the Z-wave interface. When the Z-wave interface came back, I checked to see if the node was there and it had disappeared = success :D

Give it a try and see what happens :)

That did the trick! One slight change was I removed failed devices while the failed sync dialog was still showing. I'm not sure that changed anything but it worked for me.

Posted on
Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:08 pm
Umtauscher offline

Hi guys,

I had the same problem today. This seems to be a bug in the way Indigo handles this.
Either it's a timining issue or the sequence of commands is not entirely correct.
I had to try to sync every dead device several times. After that I reloaded the z-wave and had to do the same operation at least twice for every device, before I managed to delete all failed devices (in my case 6 of them)

Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:24 pm
simdude offline

I still have about 3 dead devices I can't remove. I had 6 and thought I was successful when the above posts seemed to be working but I still have 3 persistent ones. I will keep trying....

Posted on
Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:21 pm
carpedatum offline

I have half a dozen dead devices after running the same network for five years ,and none of the advice above works for me. This is a bug, plain and simple.

Posted on
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:02 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If the above technique doesn't work (creating a device with the bad/dead node, trying to sync, then choosing the Remove Failed Modules from Controller), then I'm afraid the bug is in the interface controller's firmware. It handles the removal of bad/dead modules and it is the one that determines when a module is considered bad/dead (because it isn't reachable). Indigo can only issue a command to it that says, "remove all the modules you think are dead."

Page 1 of 1