[ANSWERED]: Aeotec Heavy Duty Switch (ZW078)

Posted on
Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:39 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [ANSWERED]: Aeotec Heavy Duty Switch (ZW078)

Hi Jason,

I'm not seeing any errors in the log you posted. Looks like everything is correct. Indigo doesn't have the device definition yet (model unknown), but basic on/off control should still be working. I don't see any errors when the device "Bathroom Plugin Module" is turned on and off, so it looks like the Z-Wave command is being sent and acknowledged correctly. Note I have the ZW096 on my desk here and basic control is working correctly.

I presume you aren't hearing the relay click on and off? I wonder if it is just a malfunctioning module.

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:54 am
jjason offline

Worth checking - so lets test:
    - Associated with a Aeon Labs Minimote as the controller. Relay works fine. Light on the attached power strip goes on and off in time with the clunk of the relay.
    - I then dissociated the module from the Minimote and reassociated it with the Indigo. I cannot control the power any more.
    - I have verified that the device number was correct and that it was indeed the Aeon Labs switch module, just to make sure I was not controlling the wrong device.
    - Switch module is within 3 feet of the controller, so its not a distance issue.

I'm open for ideas and troubleshooting directions at this point. Either I'm doing something really silly or I have come across something interesting, I'd be happy to do a Webex / Gotomeeting / etc. so you can see it for yourself.

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:25 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It sounds like these modules are being added in secure mode, which Indigo doesn't support yet.

I believe there may be a problem with adding them in unsecure mode (double-pressing the button on the module according to tedco on a previous post on this thread) in that they are still added in secure mode. Shapa was able to force them to include in unsecure mode via the RaZberry.

If this is a bug in the firmware (I'm thinking it is) and Aeotec doesn't have a workaround, then the fix on the Indigo side will be to force unsecure inclusion via NWI (like the RazBerry) or for Indigo to support secure mode. Both of those features are very high on our priority list, but we cannot provide any type of time estimate as to what version they will be implemented in.

Posted on
Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:58 pm
Minot offline

Would someone be willing to supply a Razberry workaround for dummies to for inclusion in unsecure mode? Much appreciated.

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:46 am
jjason offline

ZW096 Smart Switch 6 - Get energy readings, no on/off contro

This is a follow up to: Re: [ANSWERED]: Aeotec Heavy Duty Switch (ZW078)

I have been pulling my hair out trying to control a Smart Switch 6 (Gen5). However, sheer stubbornness has won the day. I now have 80%-90% of a solution, thanks to Google, Vesternet, and a little bit of luck:
http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-89

The key information is in the on/off commands under the Easy Way section:
- On: luup.call_action('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1','SendData',{Node='52',Data='37 1 255'},1)
- Off: luup.call_action('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1','SendData',{Node='52',Data='37 1 0'},1)

Where:
- 37 = Binary Switch Command Class
- 1 = SET
- 255 = ON, 0 = OFF

Is it really that easy???

Ok - lets send a raw command to the Smart Switch 6:
- Interfaces -> Z-Wave -> Send RAW Z-Wave Command, pick the Smart Switch 6 device:
- On: 0x25 0x01 0xff and send -> switch turned on. (Note: base conversions: 37=0x25, 255=0xff)
- Off: 0x25 0x01 0x00 -> switch turned off.

Yup - It really is that easy!

Support: Now that I have a working solution with RAW Z-Wave commands, how does one proceed to "tweak" the Device with this information? Do you need to define a class for the device or is there something I can do myself? Happy to learn - just don't know how (yet!).

Thanks!

Jason

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:30 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Device definitions must be added by us, but the information you've provided will help. No ETA on when we'll get it in.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:16 pm
duanel offline

Thanks for the pointers, everyone. I was able to create a Virtual Device workaround using those raw commands. I'm looking forward to official support for the Smart Switch 6. The form factor is great and has a handy USB port to power a bluetooth beacon for presence monitoring... kind of the perfect device (it has power monitoring as well).

For those that haven't created Virtual Devices yet, it's pretty straightforward:

1. Set up the z-wave smart switch 6 (you'll use it to sync the actual switch with the on/off state variable later, too)
  2. Create a variable to store the Virtual Device state
  3. Create an "on" action group that sends the raw z-wave command (0x25 0x01 0xFF) to your smart switch AND sends an "on" command to the smart switch AND sets the value of the variable from step 2 to true
  4. Create an "off" action group that sends the raw z-wave command (0x25 0x01 0x00) to your smart switch AND sends an "off" command to the smart switch AND sets the value of the variable from step 2 to false
  5. Create a new virtual on/off device with the action groups that you've prepared above.
  6. Profit

I have it actually turn the smart switch 6 on and off because Indigo recognizes this and updates the state in the software (even though it doesn't actually turn the switch on or off) and the OCD in me wants to keep the real device status synced with the virtual device.

UPDATE:
You can create a toggle action with a python script that detects if the switch is on or off and calls the opposite on/off action:
Code: Select all
lamp = indigo.devices["Name of Virtual Device"]
if hasattr(lamp, 'onState'):
   isOn = lamp.onState
if isOn == True:
# Where 1234567 is the "off" action group
   indigo.actionGroup.execute(1234567)
elif isOn == False:
# Where 89012345 is the "on" action group
   indigo.actionGroup.execute(89012345)
Last edited by duanel on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:57 pm
dtm offline

Thank you for the Virtual Device steps. I am able to get my new Smart Switch 6 devices to turn on and off.

Posted on
Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:29 pm
T-Power offline

Hello All,

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread.
Do you think I will be able to apply the same principle to get this working with a :
Aeon Labs 40Amps Heavy Duty Smart Switch DSC10, Gen5 chip,Z-wave

T.I.A
Toran

MacMini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB DDR3
Indigo Pro 2022.1 macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Posted on
Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:02 pm
duanel offline

It should work in a similar manner, but I'm not sure if the raw commands are the same. You can try them out directly without jumping through the hoops for the whole set up from the interfaces -> z-wave -> send raw z-wave command menu as noted earlier in the thread.

Posted on
Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:11 am
T-Power offline

Thanks duanel!

I think its time to buy this switch and put it to work.
Fingers crossed

Thank you

MacMini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB DDR3
Indigo Pro 2022.1 macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Posted on
Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:11 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

This thread is old but I wanted to follow-up that Indigo 7.0 is now available (has been for a while). It includes supports for dozens of new Z-Wave devices, including the Gen 5 Aeotec modules.