Zipato RFID Keypad

Posted on
Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:24 pm
GD1210 offline

Re: Zipato RFID Keypad

I owned on of these, I had the BeNext version too.
Great in theory but not so great in practice.
The device half work but was not reliable enough to be used as security.
The wife refused to use it after about 2 weeks,
Using the keypad to put a pin code in and pressing home or away worked most of the time but the rfid was so flaky it wasn't worth the hassle.

I don't know if it has improved since last winter when I finally gave up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:23 am
Umtauscher offline

Well 1,5 Years after the first request for this.
Is it still unsupported? Really?

TIA for an update.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:10 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct, it still isn't supported, and we don't give updates or estimates on when individual hardware will be supported (but are hard at work on a major release). Keep in mind there are hundreds of Z-Wave devices out there, several like this one which require custom development support to work.

Posted on
Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:05 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi Matt,

thank you for your comment, but its attitude really makes me quit mad.
Please allow me to be blunt:
I find your attitude really unprofessional. I would expect there would at least be support for a device that is certified by the z-wave alliance in a acceptable time frame.
Or are you implying, "we support what we want, if your device is not your are on your own"?

We are using certified equipment, which use a documentated interface here. All components are vertified. I can understand there will always be bugs in a software producct but they should be ironed if they get apearant.

How should someone consider buying new z-wave equipment?
1. Buy something an hope it works?
2. Consult your devices list andforget about it if it isn't there.
3. Buy it, see that it might not work an wait patient and probably indefinately for you bugfix

Seriously, I find this situation hard to bear and I am already searching for a better supported software.
Sorry, but that's how I see it.
Sincerely

Wilhelm

Posted on
Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:29 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Umtauscher wrote:
I would expect there would at least be support for a device that is certified by the z-wave alliance in a acceptable time frame.

There is a misconception of what the Z-Wave certification process means in regards to how "easy" it is to support a device. It certifies that the lower level command classes work as they should (although we've found problems we still have to work around), but it isn't enough to automate the definition of a higher level end-user usable device (for complex devices). That requires work from us, and when it is a more complex device (not just a dimmer or switch relay), it can require a significant amount of work. We are looking at ways to enable support for more complex devices that we haven't yet created definitions for, although it is complicated and the end user result wouldn't be the typical intuitive Indigo device collection.

I wonder how many other control hubs support this particular device. Based on my searches it doesn't look like many. It looks like it might work on some models of Vera and, of course, it works on the ZipaBox (Zipato's hub). But...

Not on Samsung SmartThings:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/hel ... eypad/5867

Not on HomeSeer:
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.ph ... ost1237489

And from what I can tell it also does not work with the Lowe's Iris, Nexia Bridge, Staples Connect, Wink, or openHAB. So it works on about 2 of the 8 more popular hubs, one of which is from the same manufacturer.

That isn't because all the control hub companies have attitudes, but because adding devices requires development and QA time, often significantly more than one would think, and those resources are always limited.

Umtauscher wrote:

I would consult our device list and, if it isn't there, then search and post on the on the forum to see if anyone has reported success with it. If not, post a request on the forum.

I'm sorry if you think our attitude is unprofessional, but we aren't going to promise we can deliver support for all Z-Wave devices when that isn't likely to happen. We are trying to be professional and honest. We will continue to add support for popular Z-Wave devices, but that requires us to prioritize both the demand for the device and the difficulty in supporting it. We no longer provide time estimates as to when devices will be supported, but we are actively working on the next major version of Indigo. And once Indigo 7 is released we will be cranking out more timely releases with additional device support.

Posted on
Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:07 am
IndigoSam offline

matt (support) wrote:
Umtauscher wrote:

I would consult our device list and, if it isn't there, then search and post on the on the forum to see if anyone has reported success with it. If not, post a request on the forum.

I do wonder if there should be some sort of user maintained Wiki on this subject?

Maybe the device and version followed by different aspects with a RAG status. Not just compatibility, but also things like battery life and longevity.

Of course, it is only as good as the data provided in a timely manner. Keeping it up to date, relevant and objective can be tricky.

Sam.

Posted on
Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:54 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks you Matt,

for taking the time for such an elaborate relpy. It is unsatisfying but it is what it is.
Nervertheless this is the only device that could give us the ability to do a simple security system.
Thanks again
Wilhelm

Posted on
Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:27 am
Umtauscher offline

... and answering to IndigoSam, maybe thats a good start. http://www.vesternet.com/compatibility/ ... lity-guide

But I think its up to Indigo Domotics to document what is supposed to work.

Posted on
Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We have this list currently. We also have, for some devices, wiki entries with linked forum threads. We need to expand that though and get everything up-to-date. But right now v7 is priority. :-)

Posted on
Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:00 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Umtauscher wrote:
Nervertheless this is the only device that could give us the ability to do a simple security system.

Really? The ONLY device? :roll:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:40 pm
bschollnick2 offline

Umtauscher wrote:
... and answering to IndigoSam, maybe thats a good start. http://www.vesternet.com/compatibility/ ... lity-guide

But I think its up to Indigo Domotics to document what is supposed to work.

The only issue is how are they suppose to get their hands on every single Zwave device ever made? And test every single device, in every single configuration, etc...

I'm frustrated with zWave myself, and quite honestly, I don't intend to use zwave switches. I'll use sensors, but due to the 50% failure rate (okay, it was 2 switches, but still), I don't think zwave's as reliable as Insteon.

The sensors on the other hand seem to be pretty good.

- Benjamin

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:40 am
Umtauscher offline

If anyone is interessted, here is the documtenation about the device of the German "fhem" project which supports this device.

http://www.fhemwiki.de/wiki/Z-Wave-ZIP_WT-RFID_Keypad

Unfortunately is's in German, but I suppose Google Translator can help.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:39 am
Umtauscher offline

jay (support) wrote:

I'm open to suggestions...

Posted on
Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:08 am
IndigoSam offline

matt (support) wrote:
We have this list currently. We also have, for some devices, wiki entries with linked forum threads. We need to expand that though and get everything up-to-date. But right now v7 is priority. :-)

I actually think this should be more user driven. Not to replace this list though, that would be the official devices list.

There are bound to be other devices that work fine, but are not on that list. Or subtleties in regional variants. There are also other questions. Yes, the device works, but is it any good? How is the real battery life? That sort of thing. These are aspects that come to light during long term use.

Sam.

Posted on
Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:39 am
johnpolasek offline

Umtauscher wrote:
jay (support) wrote:

I'm open to suggestions...

I think that would depend on the specific requirements for a "simple security system" and the variety of sensors you want to deal with.... currently I have a Z-wave door lock and a couple of Aeon 6 in 1 motion sensors on a Vera lite; the lock is currently linked to Indigo through the Vera Plugin, and the 6 in 1s will move to direct contact with Indigo through the Z-stick that is currently handling the pair of Aeon 4 in 1s and 4 Z-wave vents directly tied to Indigo; the vents are opened and closed in response to an assortment of Oregon Scientific temperature sensors throughout the house, two of which are monitoring my refrigerator and freezer temperatures with triggers to warn if they fail. I also have a Dakota 3000 driveway alert tied to Indigo through an Insteon EzSNF and 4 Ubiquiti bullet cams set up to update every 10 seconds on separate control pages and am thinking of adding another plugin and getting an arduino ultimate to tie in the 36 dry contact magnetic switches that the original house builder put in all the windows and doors and pulled back to the master bedroom closet but never added a security system to handle.... Or I could just abandon those wire pairs and buy a bunch of insteon hidden door sensors to go with the smoke bridge that ties my smoke alarms to indigo and the half dozen insteon leak sensors that I have under the hot water heaters, washer, and all the sinks... all of which can send me pushover alerts whenever something goes wrong and the geofences say my phone isn't within 100 yards of the house.