[ANSWERED]: Aeon Labs Smart Energy Strip ( DSC11 ) - Update

Posted on
Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:45 am
NicholFD offline

[ANSWERED]: Aeon Labs Smart Energy Strip ( DSC11 ) - Update

I searched for "DSC11" and didn't find it in the forums or on the AEON labs specific page.

I want to purchase 2 x of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3RL6JW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AC0W93NWDIEG

Since I couldn't find a hardware specific discussion other than this:http://www.indigodomo.com/devices/307/, I have a few questions.

How does Indigo present this Z-Wave device? I want to be able to individually control the 4 x switchable outlets on the strip. It doesn't matter to me if it's 4 x "devices" in Indigo, or if it's a device with sub-devices. Does Indigo present this as 4 x individually switchable outlets?

Thanks,
Frank
Last edited by NicholFD on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:10 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Aeon Labs Smart Energy Strip ( DSC11 )

You get 5 devices in Indigo. 1 that controls all of them together, and 4 that control the outlets independently.

Posted on
Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:16 am
NicholFD offline

Thanks for the quick reply.

One more question, that I should have asked originally - is the power usage reported per outlet, or for the whole strip?

Thanks again,
Frank

Posted on
Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:21 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I believe it should show both (total under 1st device, individual under the next 4 devices), but I don't know for sure if that works or not (I don't have one myself).

Posted on
Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:09 am
NicholFD offline

Update & new question - Aeon Labs Smart Energy Strip ( DSC11

I'm updating this in case someone comes looking...

The Smart Strip pairs fine with Indigo (as expected), and shows 4 x outlets in tabs, the first time you add the device. Each tab becomes an individual device in Indigo, as you update the 4 x tabs, and each outlet can be individually controlled. Each device in Indigo reports power and each devices power usage is individually resettable. There is no "master" device displayed and I saw no method to turn all 4 x outlets on/off, like the button on the strip does. I have very low power devices on the ports, so I'm not sure if any or all of the power reports are individual outlets or combined outlets. I'll update as I determine this.

Now to my question...

I have a GE Portable Controller that Indigo adds just fine (http://www.jascoproducts.com/support/manual-downloads/applications/DocumentLibraryManager/upload/45631-Manual-Eng.pdf). The controller supports groups and scenes (4 each). To add a device to a group or scene, you put the controller in add mode, select scene or group & the on button for selection 1-4. Then you go to the device and press the "pairing" button on the device. This is where my issue comes in. The Smart Strip pairing button turns ALL 4 x outlets off/on at the same time. With this method, I can't add an individual outlet to a group or scene. Any ideas? I've also sent a support request to AEOTEC (AEON Labs).

Ps. Using either group or scene, Indigo does not see the activity when the button is pressed on the controller. The activity (scene or group on/off) works, and the only thing Indigo sees is if the devices affected report an update. I'm not sure if this is relevant, and I plan to make another post regarding this.

Thanks,
Frank

Posted on
Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:58 am
NicholFD offline

Re: Aeon Labs Smart Energy Strip ( DSC11 ) - Update

After posting the above, I saw that there was an Indigo update available that explicitly added support for the Smart Energy Strip. Things are different now...

Indigo added a "Master" device & butchered my previous config. Instead of Outlet 1, Outlet 2... Outlet 4, now my Outlet 1 is on the Master tab & Outlet 2 is on the Outlet 1 tab... The 4th tab is a "new outlet". Grrr...

Posted on
Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Frank,

Sorry about that. You were running a version before we had added the model definition that fully specified all the devices needed.

Posted on
Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:50 pm
wmcorbin offline

I recently purchased this device and have noticed that while the outlets all work individually (on/off) and as a group, the 'Device Details' on screen do not match up with the physical outlets. Outlet 1 displays details for 3...outlet 2 displays details for 4....etc. I don't see details for physical outlet 3 displayed anywhere. Have I configured something wrong?

Posted on
Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

From the Device dialog press the Edit Device Settings... button, then press the Write to Log button. And then Copy/paste the Event Log results into a reply for me.

Posted on
Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:59 pm
wmcorbin offline

Here you go:

Nov 16, 2014, 4:53:02 PM
Z-Wave Indigo Device "Energy Monitor ALL" Z-Wave Properties:
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 1.0.281
Node ID: 11
Model: Smart Energy Strip (DSC11)
Model ID: 0003000B
Manufacturer: Aeon Labs
Manufacturer ID: 0086
Protocol Version: 3.67
Application Version: 1.01
Model Definition Version: 1
Library Type: 3
Class Name: Relay Power Switch
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 10 : 01
Command Class Base: 25
Command Versions: 20v1 60v3 25v1 86v1 27v1 32v2 70v1 72v1 85v1
Multi-Endpoint Types: 1:(10 : 01), 2:(10 : 01), 3:(10 : 01), 4:(10 : 01)
Multi-Endpoint Classes: 1:[32 25 20], 2:[32 25 20], 3:[32 25 20], 4:[32 25 20]
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, beaming, energyMeter
Neighbors: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10
Associations: 1:[1]
Config Values: - none -

Posted on
Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:39 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the device details not matching the outlets?

Specifically, when you select the device labeled outlet 1 and press turn on/off is that the outlet turned on / off on the strip? If so, then what are the device details UI showing incorrectly for that outlet?

Posted on
Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:22 am
wmcorbin offline

I've enclosed a JPEG stitched together of various screenshots and image captures I took to show how I'm testing the DSC11 switch. I used a 40-watt light bulb that I plugged into each outlet in turn from 1 through 4. I then captured the Device Details for each outlet. Only one outlet was 'loaded' at each test with the light bulb. Outlet 2 never showed any Device Detail readings. Outlets 3 and 4 sometimes did/did not show values.

When all outlets were turned off, Device Details for Outlet 1 still showed a value. Note this value of 4-5 W shows up in all instances.

Turning outlets on and off works fine.

I'm only checking here first before I call the vendor for a return. I've always had a difficult time getting a positive response from some of these groups to acknowledge their devices may not be working.
Attachments
dsc11_feedback.jpg
dsc11_feedback.jpg (172.19 KiB) Viewed 5249 times

Posted on
Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:32 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Okay, that helps. I found some technical documentation for the strip as well, which at least partially explains what is occurring.

So internally the 4 controllable outlets are assigned to Z-Wave command end points 1, 2, 3, and 4 for the ON / OFF commands.

But the strip allows reading of energy usage from all 6 outlets (first 2 outlets, and the 4 controllable outlets) using end points 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Indigo doesn't have a way to do such a mapping, where endpoint 1 controls outlet #3 (first controllable outlet) but endpoint 1 shows electrical usage of outlet #1. So Indigo is showing electrical usage for the first 4 outlets (2 non-controllable, 2 controllable) and isn't showing the usage for the last two outlets at all. I really wish they hadn't scrambled the endpoint usage like this (they should have instead put the 2 uncontrollable outlets as endpoints 5 and 6, not 1 and 2).

I'll add fixing this to my ToDo list. It will be a while though because it isn't a trivial change and we have all non-trivial changes on hold until we get Indigo Touch complete.

Posted on
Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:18 am
wmcorbin offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Aeon Labs Smart Energy Strip ( DSC11 ) - Upd

My diagram did not make reference to the first 2 outlets that are not remotely controlled. From the best I can tell, whether used or not...they make no change to any display details in Indigo.

I understand about this not being a trivial issue. I can still use the switch to turn devices on and off.

Posted on
Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:51 pm
JustJack offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Aeon Labs Smart Energy Strip ( DSC11 ) - Upd

Any idea if this has been fixed in the latest builds. I am going to buy some of these to monitor power for my media center and would like to know just how much energy they are consuming.