[ANSWERED] Backup Z-Stick

Posted on
Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:32 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: [ANSWERED] Backup Z-Stick

As far as I can tell, the battery is needed for inclusion/exclusion when away from the host controller. I wouldn't think it would be used for day to day operation.

While not a sufficient solution, I would guess that this function could be accessed with any 5v USB battery (I do not know this to be fact.)

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:03 am
rustyhodge offline

FYI the links posted earlier in this tread no longer work. However, this one has the backup software and to documentation on how to use it:

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/so ... p-software

and the docs:

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/so ... d-restore-

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:53 am
skoeppen offline

I was attempting to include another device in my z-wave network two days ago, and I discovered that my Aeotec Series 2 z-stick would not enter inclusion mode when unplugged. In fact after several seconds, its light got dimmer and eventually went out completely. It appears the battery has reached the end of its useful life. It still works fine while plugged into my Mac's USB port but is useless when unplugged.

I purchased a new Gen 5 z-stick ( which I see now has a backup capability, but it appears only for Windows computers). My immediate dilemma is how to get my existing five z-wave devices included in the new z-stick. The first thing I did was to try include to my Trane thermostat in the new z-stick but apparently I first have to exclude it from the old z-stick controller before I can add it to the new z-stick controller. Since the old one no longer functions when disconnected from the USB port, I'm somewhat at a loss as to what to do. My only thought is that I will have to do a factory reset on the Trane, which means that I will have to go through the entire thermostat settings install process again. Any ideas on avoiding having to do this?

I'm guessing that I will have the same issue with my other z-wave devices. FYI, my five z-wave devices are the Trane XL624 thermostat, two Everspring ST-814 temperature/humidity sensors, and two Aeon Labs Smart Energy Switches model DSC06106.

Steve Koeppen
X10 user from the early 80's
Converted to Insteon 2011 - 2014
Started adding z-wave 2014
Happy :D Indigo owner since v1 in 2005

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:20 pm
DaveL17 offline

You can use any Z-Wave controller to exclude a device. So you can use your new one to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:03 pm
durosity offline

Also if you’re using indigo 7 and above you can exclude (and include) devices directly inside indigo without having to unplug the device. At the moment you need to go to interfaces > z-wave > start exclusion mode (or setup an action group to enable it in indigo touch) but I’m hoping in a future version of indigo touch there’ll be a more elegant way of doing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:30 am
skoeppen offline

Thanks guys. I had no idea one could use any controller to exclude a device and could find nothing about it in any of the z-wave wiki pages. I was able to exclude and then include all five of my z-wave devices successfully using the new Gen5 z-stick. I also plan to upgrade from Indigo 6 to 7 before long and it's good to know that it will have the ability to do this directly.

Steve Koeppen
X10 user from the early 80's
Converted to Insteon 2011 - 2014
Started adding z-wave 2014
Happy :D Indigo owner since v1 in 2005