[ANSWERED] Backup Z-Stick

Posted on
Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:30 am
Umtauscher offline

Re: [ANSWERED] Backup Z-Stick

Hi,

it's really a shame that aeonlabs are unable to make their tool work....it sheds some light on how evolved their developement skills are.

Nevertheless my Vera1 is able to make a complete backup including the dongle. I one time managed to modify the dongle contents and restore the stick with it. So if MicasaVerde where able to dump the sticks contents, it might not be that hard. ;-)
I doubt though that my vera1 will restore to a dongle that did not come with it (copy protection)
Just my 2 Cts

Wilhelm

Posted on
Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 am
Umtauscher offline

Ok guys, just to keep you up to date:

I have just replicated my z-wave stick (aeon) with a backup I took with my vera1.
Went without a hitch and I now have an exact replica of my original stick.

Gives me some peace of mind.

Nevertheless I think Indigo should be able to do that without an foreign hardware.....
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:01 pm
richo offline

Good to hear that there is a way to do a backup with Vera, however it's not for me.

A pity as I have almost ordered today a new Mac mini and Indigo PRO as Indigo software looks very promising :(

Without a proper Backup solution I'm not willing to leave my HC2 for a while. I have it stabilised it somehow with a lot of effort and if something goes wrong when moving to Z-Stick it would be a horror for me (i have almost 90 z-wave devices)

Will be watching the forum to see if there is any good news in that area...

Ryszard

Posted on
Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:15 pm
Umtauscher offline

I know that is not great help for everyone.
But it's the same stick and I just wanted to document that there is a way to backup the stick if you know how. And that goes for Indigo as well as for Aeonlabs....
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:18 pm
PME999 offline

Hello Wilhelm
Can you share how you did the backup of your Z-Stick with a VERA. I'am like a lot of users of this device, looking how to backup it in case of breakdown (more than 100 nodes and I don't want to sync all if crash...)

I have a VERA working for door lock and current cost only but maybe I can use it to make the backup up of the Z-Stick used directly with INDIGO
It will be very useful if INDIGo was able to do it...

Thanks for help
Patrice

Posted on
Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:23 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi Patrice,

just a short description out of my head, because the Vera isn't connected any more:

1. I am using a Vera 1 with firmware 1.1.1338
2. Just a precaution: Try to do that in an environment where the vera has none of the z-wave devices in range, otherwise it could try to reconfigure your devices.
3. Insert your dongle into the vera.
3. Just do backup of the vera settings and include the z-wave dongle backup.
4. Remove the stick.

I would recommend to restore that backup including the z-wave stick to another one (restore z-wave dongle)
That way you have two identical copies and don't need to try restoring to your live dongle.
After the restore the dongles should be completely identical, including the network-id .
Hope this was clear enough. If you want me to be more specific I would have to reconnect my vera...
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm
PME999 offline

Thanks a lot Wilhem
I was thinking the Vera lite needs a driver for the Z stick
firmware 1.5.622 vera lite
I will try next week end
Patrice

Posted on
Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:40 am
SgtBilko offline

Matt

Not sure why this thread is marked [ANSWERED] it is certainly not solved as an issue and for me (as someone who has experienced failure) is No1 top priority.

You said in March you were going to contact Aeotec in March, did you hear anything from them ?

I have just had a Z-stick failure. Luckily I had advanced warning of the problem as 3 times the stick just stopped all comms. Every time it happened I was away from home and got the call from my wife "...... your clever system has broken down again and I'm cold...."

Are Aeotec telling Vera something they are not telling you ?

I do think that backup is essential.

Thank you

Posted on
Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:02 am
lochnesz offline

This is a reply from Aeotec on 23 december 2014:
There is no way to backup the Z-Stick at the moment.

I am waiting for them to get back to me regarding backup possibilities for the new Z-stick gen5. It can take a while because of the Chinese New Year.

Peter

Posted on
Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:41 am
durosity offline

(Also answered doesn't mean solved, they have a separate classification for that oddly titled "Solved" ;) )

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:18 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Looks like lochnesz and durosity already replied, but they are correct: we have contacted Aeotec and haven't heard anything (I suspect they are very busy with all the Gen5 products), and threads are marked ANSWERED after we reply to them and SOLVED once/if they are solved.

Posted on
Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:37 am
Umtauscher offline

I think Aeotec really don't know what they are doing! How can it be that Vera is able to make a backup and even restore it to another stick and Aoetec tells you it is not possible to backup that stick?
If I get arround and switch my network to the new zWAVE.ME-UZB1 I will report. They claim that the have implemented the zensys backup and restore API. Nevertheless I haven't found any software that is able to use it to backup/restore.
Anyone with more insight is welcome.
Cheers

Wilhelm

P.S. @Matt : The least you could do in my opinion, is to enable Indigo to accept a secondary controller to transfer the devices to another stick.

Posted on
Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:43 am
Sevilsivle offline

SgtBilko wrote:
Every time it happened I was away from home and got the call from my wife "...... your clever system has broken down again and I'm cold...."

Sounds familiar. However there are several expletives missing!

Tim

Posted on
Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:59 am
SgtBilko offline

Whilst my wife is certainly capable of the expletives, when she is really not happy the message is short sharp and to the point !!

There is a serious point here for Matt and Jay.

I suspect one of the attractions of Indigo is its flexibility..... it appeals to us “gadget men” who like clever solutions. We have the time and inclination to implement them, but we are in a minority. Most people want something that just works. That’s why the back up issue is so crucial. Of course there are workarounds if it all goes wrong and as a self confessed “gadget man” I can cope with that (just !).

It won’t cut it with 99% of the population who don’t care how clever it is, don’t want to know what has gone wrong and how to fix it. They just want it to work and if its gone wrong they just want it fixed….. NOW !!

If my mac goes down then I have an alternative I can use. Time Machine makes it very easy to be up and running in an hour or so.

The software (touch wood) is rock solid…… Thank you Jay and Matt

The individual hardware is generally pretty reliable and relatively easy to replace if it does go down.

The Z-stick is the weakest link because if it goes down its not simple to get your system running again. Murphy’s Law states that it will always go wrong when a) you are not around and / or b) you don’t have a day(s) spare to put it right.

The more we add automation to our homes the more crucial it is to have a) reliability and b) a quickly implantable back up plan.

Posted on
Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:21 am
Umtauscher offline

Just to add another 2 cts...

The Aeotec stick contains a lipo battery which will probably reach the end of its life after about 3-4 Years.
As we don't know, how it behaves when the battery is dead, I would suspect systems to fail in bigger numbers after that time. At least there wouldn't be the option to connect new devices.
It really would be nice to have a backup option.
Cheers
Wilhelm