Can I intgrate a GE Link bulb with Indigo?

Posted on
Sat May 20, 2017 6:14 pm
PatriciaW offline

Can I intgrate a GE Link bulb with Indigo?

I'm trying to access all of my devices from Indigo. I have a mixture of X10, Insteon and Z-Wave devices working OK. But I have two GE Link Light bulbs that I haven't figured out how to control with Indigo. I'd like to remove the Wink hub that controls them at present. Is this possible?

Posted on
Sat May 20, 2017 7:37 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can I intgrate a GE Link bulb with Indigo?

Do those work with the Hue Hub? If so, then that would be one way.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat May 20, 2017 8:16 pm
PatriciaW offline

Do you mean the Hue Bridge? If so there is no advantage to that over the Wink Hub I presently use. When I attempted to install (your?) plugin it wanted an IP address but our Wink Hub is on a different network (dedicated to IoT devices) so that wasn't an option.

Posted on
Sun May 21, 2017 7:52 am
Different Computers offline

GE Link are Zigbee. There's no native way to talk to Zigbee with Indigo.

I use lots of Link bulbs with Hue and the excellent Hue plugin from Nathan Sheldon. If you're looking to do this on the cheap, a V1 Hue hub will work fine, and those should be available used for almost nothing.
I bet you'll find that the Hue plugin offers more control than Wink does. It's very, very complete and capable.

I had a bunch of Zigbee stuff when I switched from SmartThings to Indigo--door sensors, motion detectors and such like. It was a huge relief to replace these with Z-wave and get them all into Indigo.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun May 21, 2017 12:03 pm
PatriciaW offline

Thanks for the suggestion but there are two reasons this won't work for me

1) I already have a working Wink hub so there is no good reason to replace it with a Hue hub

2) when I attempted to do this with the Hue plugin it seemed to require the Hub to be on the same network as the Indigo server.

Posted on
Sun May 21, 2017 12:21 pm
Different Computers offline

1) I already have a working Wink hub so there is no good reason to replace it with a Hue hub

Unless the wink hub doesn't control the bulbs as completely as the plugin does. Or you want to integrate things across multiple accessories. (Is there some Wink plugin that allows Indigo to control Wink?

2) when I attempted to do this with the Hue plugin it seemed to require the Hub to be on the same network as the Indigo server.

You in fact need such a thing, or some super fancy static routing across LANs, I suppose--OR connect your Indigo hub by Ethernet to the hub and use WIFI for your other networking. BUT keep in mind that the bulbs the hub talks too aren't really on your other network anyway--they're on their own super secret Zigbee network, not normal wifi.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun May 21, 2017 7:36 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

PatriciaW wrote:

Except that you want to control your GE bulbs with Indigo...

The only way to do that is to pair them with a Hue Hub and use the afore-mentioned plugin.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2017 8:01 am
PatriciaW offline

Obviously I can't given my network. Is there any reason that I can't use a Lamplinc with my GE Link bulb?

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2017 9:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

PatriciaW wrote:
Obviously I can't given my network.

Is there some reason why you can't install a hue hub on the same network as your Indigo Server? It's not at all obvious given your posts so far...

PatriciaW wrote:
Is there any reason that I can't use a Lamplinc with my GE Link bulb?

You can try it, though I suspect it won't work well. The lamplinc would be controlling the amount of power flowing to the bulb (through whatever you have it plugged into) so dimming may not work as expected since the internals of the bulb are what would regulate the current through the LEDs.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2017 11:26 am
PatriciaW offline

Yes ... the LampLinc didn't work but I had a couple of spare ApplianceLincs which work.

Thanks for your help, Jay

Page 1 of 1