Z-Stick failing

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:33 pm
brianlloyd offline

Z-Stick failing

My Gen-5 Z-Stick is failing. Periodically during the day Indigo will start reporting errors with Z-Wave and I will find that the red/yellow/blue flashing sequence on the Z-Stick will have stopped. Unplugging the Z-Stick and plugging it back into the USB port will cause it to come back to life again for awhile. I have ordered a new Z-Stick.

So here's the question: is there any way to install a new Z-stick without having to reset and add all my devices all over again? I have about 50 Z-wave devices and that would be really painful to have to do.

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:41 am
Japple55 offline

Re: Z-Stick failing

Glad you posted. I've been curious about this too.

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:24 am
Asconasny offline

Theres a backup software for the stick. Havent tried it myself.

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/so ... p-software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:28 am
Japple55 offline

Thanks. From what I can tell, it's windows only and installation is in Chinese. Oh well, better than nothing I guess.

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:59 am
brianlloyd offline

Well, it is worth a try. Seems like a good idea to back up the configuration in the Z-Stick. This seems like something that should be automatic in Indigo. (I guess that is a feature request.)

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:30 am
brianlloyd offline

Thanks for the pointer. I installed the the Aeotec backup software on my Windows machine. (Seems I have to keep one around just to deal with stuff like this. And Microsoft keeps insisting on changing the UI so you have to figure out windows all over again. <sigh>) We'll see if it worked when I get my new Z-Stick and try to restore the backup to the new Z-Stick and plug that into Indigo.

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:52 am
Asconasny offline

Would be great with some feedback if its a success or not.

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:45 am
brianlloyd offline

The backup program reports that the file was successfully written. Of course, the question is whether the file actually contains the correct info and that the restore will make the new device a clone of the old device. I'll report back on the success or failure when I get the new Z-stick.

Posted on
Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:17 pm
toille27 offline

Glad you posted. I've been curious about this too
10-4 on this!

Posted on
Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:04 pm
brianlloyd offline

OK, I received my new Z-stick G5. I rebooted one of my macs into Windows and used the Zensys backup/restore program (read/write EPROM) to restore the config from the failing Z-stick. It worked like a charm. I then plugged the new Z-stick into the server in place of the old, failing one and my Z-wave network didn't even skip a beat. Everything works.

So, there is a Z-stick backup and restore path. The only downside is you have to run windows. OTOH, if you are anything like me, you have devices that can only be updated from Windows so you probably use Bootcamp anyway. If that is the case, the solution is relatively pain-free.

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:15 am
Asconasny offline

Great news , guess i have to buy me another z-stick, dig up my old windows computer and make a backup. Just in case :)

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:15 am
Asconasny offline

Great news , guess i have to buy me another z-stick, dig up my old windows computer and make a backup. Just in case :)

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:07 am
Japple55 offline

Thanks Brian, good to know. Time to make a backup.

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:38 am
brianlloyd offline

One thing I forgot to add, when you do this you may find that you have to reconfigure the Z-Wave interface to use a different serial device. I don't know if was the result of changing USB ports but the device ID for my Z-Stick changed. Funny thing was, when I first plugged it in, it just worked and then a few minutes later it seemed to fail. Reconfiguring the Z-Wave interface brought everything back-to-life and I have had no further problems.

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:35 pm
toille27 offline

This is great news, thanks for posting.