Sending tripped zones through growl

Posted on
Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:59 pm
dpompei offline

Sending tripped zones through growl

I am trying to set up a trigger so that when the alarm is tripped it sends me a growl/prowl notification. That is pretty straight forward and works great. Once the alarm is tripped though, I want it to send me the zone that triggered the trip and then constantly send me growl updates on which zones are being opened. The reason I would like to do this is that if my prowl is going nuts, I know its not a false alarm and I can quickly see what's going on. So this is what I have tried to do:

-Set a variable named alarmState
-Set up a trigger to change alarmState to tripped and send the initial growl notification when the alarm has been tripped. (I would like to send the initial break-in zone here but I can't figure out how to populate a variable with this info)
- I then set up a grouped device that has all the alarm zones in it
- and a trigger to send a growl notification if the device state of this group has changed to open - This is only to happen if alarmState = tripped. (Again, my problem is that I can't figure out a way to populate a variable with the zone name that's being open)
- Finally I have a trigger that changes alarmState back to ready if the keypad is disarmed with a user code.

I think I got the right idea but I just can't finish it off. If anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:52 am
travisc offline

Re: Sending tripped zones through growl

Hi,

Currently the tripped zone list is not exposed directly. As a work-around, you could use the plugin's Speaking functionality to speak text to a variable. Then setup a trigger to fire when that variable changes, with a condition that it fires only when the alarm is in a tripped state. Each time that trigger fires you should have a new string of text in the variable that describes what zones are in a tripped state.

Hope that helps.

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:30 pm
dpompei offline

Thanks Travis,

I find your plug-in absolutely amazing...

When you say "Currently" the trip zones are not exposed, does this mean you have future plans to implement that feature? LOL. I think it would be a major enhancement.

Anyways. Thanks for your idea for using the speaking functionality. I think I got everything to work but I can't really test it without having an actual alarm (which would not be too appreciated by everyone just right now). I tested it by using the Exit Delay field and it works great. I just hope it works during an actual alarm.

Thanks again.

Posted on
Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:18 am
travisc offline

I find your plug-in absolutely amazing...

Great, thanks!

When you say "Currently" the trip zones are not exposed, does this mean you have future plans to implement that feature? LOL. I think it would be a major enhancement.

It wasn't in the future plans to be honest. It could be added in the future if this solution doesn't work out. I use the Urgent Email option of the plugin to send emails to my Pushover address. That way I get a push notification on my phone whenever a new zone is tripped. Not sure if that's a better option for you.

Travis

Page 1 of 1