Smartphone Radar - Smartphone presence detection (Locked)

Posted on
Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:49 am
McJohn offline

Re: Smartphone Radar - Smartphone presence detection (Update

Screen dump from the Airport Express
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 11.31.44.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 11.31.44.png (145.72 KiB) Viewed 6345 times

Posted on
Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:12 am
Dewster35 offline

McJohn wrote:
I installed the old Airport Util
http://www.macinstruct.com/node/491

BUT it seems to be that SNMP is totally disappeared in the new Airport Extreme 2013.

Screendump with the Airport Express
and a screendump with the new Airport Extreme

Only syslog can be enabled, but that's a problem for me because I don't know how this works.

Kind regards,

John

Damn... hopefully that is just because the new Airports aren't supported by the old utility? I like the direction Apple is headed on most things, but when it comes to this sort of thing, stripping away features (In the new utility) because to some people they are confusing, it really is disappointing. Hopefully someone here can help you out.

Posted on
Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:36 am
Korey offline

Dewster35 wrote:
Damn... hopefully that is just because the new Airports aren't supported by the old utility? I like the direction Apple is headed on most things, but when it comes to this sort of thing, stripping away features (In the new utility) because to some people they are confusing, it really is disappointing. Hopefully someone here can help you out.

Unfortunatly, SNMP is not listed under the Tech Specs for the new models:

Interoperable with 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac-enabled Mac computers, iOS devices, Apple TV, Windows-based PCs, and other Wi-Fi devices
NAT, DHCP, PPPoE, VPN Passthrough (IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP), DNS Proxy, IPv6 (6to4 and manual tunnels)

It is listed under the Express specs:

Interoperable with 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n-enabled Mac computers, iOS devices, Apple TV, Windows-based PCs, and other Wi‑Fi devices
NAT, DHCP, PPPoE, VPN Passthrough (IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP), DNS Proxy, SNMP, IPv6 (6to4 and manual tunnels)

Good job Apple! :roll:

--
Korey

Posted on
Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:12 am
McJohn offline

That's right Korey, I read the same specs on the Apple site this morning :( .
The Wifi range of the new Airport is larger, and it's a nice product, BUT without SNMP (I think it's the hardware, not the utility)
The simplicity of connecting Smartphone Radar with Airport is perfect for me.
So, I decided to install an extra "old" Extreme to extend my Wifi range and hope that Apple
never makes a firmware update for the "old" Extreme and removes the SNMP....

Kind regards,

John

Posted on
Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:46 am
Dewster35 offline

McJohn wrote:
That's right Korey, I read the same specs on the Apple site this morning :( .
The Wifi range of the new Airport is larger, and it's a nice product, BUT without SNMP (I think it's the hardware, not the utility)
The simplicity of connecting Smartphone Radar with Airport is perfect for me.
So, I decided to install an extra "old" Extreme to extend my Wifi range and hope that Apple
never makes a firmware update for the "old" Extreme and removes the SNMP....

Kind regards,

John

And this works until the next iphone is AC compatible, in which case it will always latch onto the new extreme unless you're out of range. :/ Hopefully there is some other sort of presence system that is as seemless as this. Looking at a few of the other new AC routers, they also seem to have dropped SNMP support.

Maybe Travis has already thought about this and will pipe in with his "one more thing"?

Posted on
Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:18 am
McJohn offline

You're right Dewster!
But for the time being this will work for me
(and I'm very disappointed and don't sleep tonight that the new Extreme didn't work :cry: ).

The perfect solution I think, is do something with the Syslog.
With the old utility, the Syslog can be enabled on the new Extreme (I haven't tried yet).
But the problem is to receive the SysLog at the Mac.
When somebody can write a simple program to enable and receive syslog at the Indigo Mac,
we are a great step forwards :-)

Kind regards,

John

Posted on
Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:31 pm
bluepine offline

Great plug in but need some help.

Installed the plugin without a hitch and set my Dlink 825 to forward the syslog to my mac that has Indigo. Created my phone as a device and no problem there. When I turn off the wifi on the phone, radar updates to that state. Now for some reason when I turn my wifi back on it Radar doesn't pick it up but just continues to "implement........". Any ideas? Could the syslog not be sending that information of the phone logging on?
Using newest version of Indigo Beta.

Thanks
Todd

Posted on
Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:00 pm
travisc offline

bluepine wrote:
Great plug in but need some help.

Installed the plugin without a hitch and set my Dlink 825 to forward the syslog to my mac that has Indigo. Created my phone as a device and no problem there. When I turn off the wifi on the phone, radar updates to that state. Now for some reason when I turn my wifi back on it Radar doesn't pick it up but just continues to "implement........". Any ideas? Could the syslog not be sending that information of the phone logging on?
Using newest version of Indigo Beta.

Thanks
Todd

Turn on "Show Router Log" in the config. Make sure you can see the log lines from your router show up in the Indigo log. If they do, watch for IP or MAC addresses that can be used to identify a particular device. Hopefully you can find one that matches your phone, then enter that IP or MAC into the smartphone device exactly as it's shown in the log.

Many routers don't allow you to forward the log to port 1514. Or if they do, the log may not be verbose enough to be useful. If you can turn up the verbosity (log level) in the router that might help.

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:53 am
bluepine offline

Hey thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:29 pm
bluepine offline

Took a quick look at it this morning and the log doesn't appear in the events window. So I'll have to trouble shoot this router and see if there's a way to make sure it's forwarding properly.

Thanks for your help

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:46 pm
travisc offline

bluepine wrote:
Took a quick look at it this morning and the log doesn't appear in the events window. So I'll have to trouble shoot this router and see if there's a way to make sure it's forwarding properly.

Thanks for your help

If the router's default firmware won't support it, that router supports DD-WRT which will definitely have the syslog options you need. It's not for the faint of heart though ...

http://www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-825

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:52 pm
bluepine offline

Ya I was looking at that. Thanks, I'll have to play with it a bit and go from there. Thanks for the support and I'll let u know what I figure out.

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:48 pm
bluepine offline

Playing around tonight again and it's weird. SPR picks up the phone on fresh start of the plug in or a newly added device and instantly recognizes when i turn the wifi off, then starts the increment timer. Just won't pick up when the phone's wifi turns back on unless i restart the plug in. So it's getting some info :? lol

Posted on
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:27 am
travisc offline

bluepine wrote:
Playing around tonight again and it's weird. SPR picks up the phone on fresh start of the plug in or a newly added device and instantly recognizes when i turn the wifi off, then starts the increment timer. Just won't pick up when the phone's wifi turns back on unless i restart the plug in. So it's getting some info :? lol

Your router seems to be logging the sign off's but the sign ons. You have to watch the router log to see what your router is sending to SPR. If SPR doesn't see your IP or MAC address mentioned then it will not reset the timer. You may need to increase the log-level. At a minimum you need it to at least log when the phone sign's on and off. Ideally you'd want some connection logging in there too.

Posted on
Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:35 pm
Korey offline

I can't seem to add a Smartphone Radar Event.

I create a new trigger, and "Event" is greyed out not allowing selection.

Plugin seems to be functioning properly showing states of devices:

Jun 20, 2013 4:18:42 PM
Smartphone Radar All smartphones are now Away.

Any Ideas?

Indigo: V6.0.0 b10
Plugin: v1.1.3
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-06-20 at 5.14.21 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 2013-06-20 at 5.14.21 PM.PNG (64.06 KiB) Viewed 6196 times

--
Korey