help with Smartphone Radar

Posted on
Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:22 am
riskyone offline

help with Smartphone Radar

Hello:

I hope I am posting this in the correct spot.

I am trying to set up Smartphone Radar using a new apple airport and I get the timeout wrong password? error.

I know that I have the correct IP and PW, so I need a little advice as trouble shoot this.
It worked well with my previous airport.

thank you in advance, John.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-10-06 at 9.12.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-06 at 9.12.13 AM.png (23.83 KiB) Viewed 4023 times

Posted on
Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm
colday offline

Re: help with Smartphone Radar

I'm having the same issue.

Airport Extreme 7.6.4

Airport Utility 6.3.2

Mavericks GM build

Posted on
Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:38 pm
Dewster35 offline

If it is the new airport that supports AC wireless, those devices no longer support SNMP.

Some alternatives are Fing, FMID (Find my idevice) and a system to trigger off of Find my friends by triggering a script based on receiving an email. There are threads on all three in the forums.

Posted on
Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:12 pm
kw123 offline

John,

there are 2 solutions for you:

a) smartphone radar is now also supporting fing, very user friendly dedicated function for tracking 1 ..3 devices , I am using it myself.

b) fingscan is a bit more low level. I creates a list of ALL ip devices on the network and keeps track of them using fing.
It is good if you know a little bit programming (if then else, trigger, scheduled events). You can setup triggers for devices on/off and new devices joining.
I use it to have an overview of whats going on on my network.

Both require that you install FING yourself (overlooksoft.com) FING requires that its runs with root access as it is listening to the traffic directly on the ethernet card.
That creates some management issues:
fingscan starts it and asks you to enter your password. I believe smartphone radar requires you to run it yourself and assumes that it is running properly.

Karl

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:05 am
evansgo offline

I know that this is an oldish thread, but I've just spent a few hours trying to get this to work and my solution was different (and easy) to any I've read so I thought that I'd share it in case it helps anyone else.

I was getting exactly the same wrong password error, after confirming that I was using the older extreme (the rectangular one), so this should have worked. But no matter what password I tried it would not change. So then I managed to get an old version of Airport Utility running on my Mavericks mini and a bit of delving showed an SMTP menu I'd never seen before and it said that the SMTP password was public (must be a default)
So I changed the password in the SR setup to public and instantly it all worked beautifully. :D :D

Posted on
Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:45 pm
ekimlebag offline

This is important and should be made clear in the instructions. Apple Airport Utility does not have an SNMP password - set the password in Smartphone Radar to "public" for Airport Extreme N (Mac Mini shaped).

Page 1 of 1