INSTEON Thermostats

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:53 pm
usbud offline

Re: INSTEON Thermostats

HI

I have 3 Insteon thermostats model 2441TH. All setup and seem to be working ok with one exception as follows:

I have a scene in Indigo 6.x (latest version) that changes the cool and heat set points (say to 80 and 55). However, executing it doesn't change the thermostat unless I subsequently, and manually, increase or decrease one of the set points in indigo, say to 80 and 56. This then seems to set both set points on the t-stat correctly. e.g. 80 and 56 in this example.

Any ideas?

James

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:58 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi James,

It sounds like the thermostat actually isn't receiving the scene from Indigo consistently, or the link in the thermostat isn't defined correctly. Try Re-Syncing the thermostat, then send the scene command a few times (say 6). Do any of those 6 scene commands cause it to correctly set the heat/cool setpoints? If not, then copy/paste the contents of the Event Log window into a reply for me (include both the sync and the sending of the scene commands).

FYI, the reason the follow-up increate/decrease setpoint causes the thermostat to jump to the correct value is because Indigo is tracking what it expects the state (setpoint) to be after the scene command. When you then increase/decrease the setpoint it uses that expected state value +/- the offset for the new state value.

Posted on
Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:19 am
brentb offline

Insteon thermostat program auto mode 2441th

Any chance of getting the Insteon thermostat Program Auto Mode implemented?

I saw this mentioned in a thread from Jun 2010 and was wondering if it is coming soon. I need this as well.

Thanks
Brent

Posted on
Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon thermostat program auto mode 2441th

You can turn on the 3 program modes using the Device Actions->Thermostat Controls->Set Main Mode thermostat action. Not sure what else you're looking for.

(merged into a more appropriate thread)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:09 pm
brentb offline

There are 4 program modes, Heat, Cool, Auto (Heat and Cool Setpoints), and Program Auto (Heat and Cool Setpoints but with 4 Daily Time/Temp Setpoints for Heat & Cool for each Wake/Leave/Return/Sleep). I'm looking for access to that 4th Mode, Program Auto. Also there is now a quick access button to activate an energy saving feature which is just a setback control to lower Heat Setpoint and Raise Cool Setpoint by 4 or maybe 6 degrees.

The Program Auto mode allows the thermostat to raise or lower the temp at various times of the day(4 times) vs the Auto mode which just holds the temp at the prescribed set points all day. Having this feature would allow a big energy saving feature for me.

thanks
Brent

Posted on
Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can activate the 3 program modes (heat, cool, auto) via the actions listed above - however, you can't edit/set/modify them because there is no API to do that. It's only possible to set those up at the thermostat itself.

Note that those program modes are different from the normal heat, cool, and auto modes in which Indigo can directly control the set points. So, actually, the thermostat has a total of 6 main modes (7 if you include off).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:20 pm
roussell offline

Curious as to why you would use the tstat program modes when you have Indigo. Indigo gives you way more flexibility in setting modes and set points vs just time of day that you get with the tstat. Don't take this as a knock against what you're trying to accomplish, just trying to understand your use-case. I've never even tried to use the built-in scheduling of the stats.

Terry

Posted on
Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:03 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I agree with Terry here - even if you just use simple schedules to set thermostat set points at different times during the say (mimicking the program mode) it's much easier to setup and modify those in Indigo than on the thermostat itself.

And of course with Indigo you can do a whole lot more - like introduce house modes (home/away/vacation) that can alter schedules. You can use occupancy to determine how to adjust setpoints. You can even do some really advanced thermostat scheduling.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:59 pm
brentb offline

I probably will use Indigo in the future for more precise control, but I haven't done the programming for that yet. If I set up a control page with a Thermostat Mode button, I can't cycle back to the Program Auto Mode I have set up on the Thermostat. If my computer running Indigo were to go down, or I lost the connection to the thermostat, due to an insteon communication problem or a failure of some sort, I want some redundancy so the thermostat can still control the temperature independently of Indigo and my computer, unless I override it with Indigo. This is so I don't come home to a freezing house in the middle of winter, etc.

There are times I may want to override what is set in the thermostat, remotely via a control page, but I'd like the option to remotely set it back to Program Auto Mode when I'm done so the thermostat can take over again. That is why I was hoping for direct access to that Mode from Indigo.

thanks
Brent

Posted on
Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:23 pm
berkinet offline

roussell wrote:
Curious as to why you would use the tstat program modes when you have Indigo. Indigo gives you way more flexibility in setting modes and set points vs just time of day that you get with the tstat. Don't take this as a knock against what you're trying to accomplish, just trying to understand your use-case. I've never even tried to use the built-in scheduling of the stats.

I have a thermostat with similar programming capabilities. I prefer to define the default schedule and then override in Indigo as needed. For one thing, my heat control is not dependent on Indigo, my Mac or my IP network. Also, since my thermostats have a web based interface, I can easily control and modify the program from anywhere.

With this system, I do not lose anything, and gain reliability.

Posted on
Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:39 pm
hamw offline

I use Jay's thermostat management which works simply great. For all the commands to be sent to the units I also include "set all to auto" each time and let Indigo run them. Nonetheless it would still be nice to be able to set "program mode" b/c as Berkinet says, these HA systems work best as an overlay for independent systems. It would be very nice to be able to set program mode from Indigo. Also, if you guys could ever find a way to set/sync the clocks on these that would be great. We have power outages all the time and so the clocks are constantly off.

Posted on
Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:44 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

brentb wrote:
I probably will use Indigo in the future for more precise control, but I haven't done the programming for that yet. If I set up a control page with a Thermostat Mode button, I can't cycle back to the Program Auto Mode I have set up on the Thermostat. If my computer running Indigo were to go down, or I lost the connection to the thermostat, due to an insteon communication problem or a failure of some sort, I want some redundancy so the thermostat can still control the temperature independently of Indigo and my computer, unless I override it with Indigo. This is so I don't come home to a freezing house in the middle of winter, etc.

There are times I may want to override what is set in the thermostat, remotely via a control page, but I'd like the option to remotely set it back to Program Auto Mode when I'm done so the thermostat can take over again. That is why I was hoping for direct access to that Mode from Indigo.

Ok, so you can do that using the actions mentioned above. Though, I should point out, if there are technical communication issues it won't help...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:44 am
berkinet offline

hamw wrote:
?..Nonetheless it would still be nice to be able to set "program mode" b/c as Berkinet says, these HA systems work best as an overlay for independent systems... ...Also, if you guys could ever find a way to set/sync the clocks on these that would be great. We have power outages all the time and so the clocks are constantly off.

One of the reasons I parted with the (extreme amount of) cash for the Prolipnix thermostats was the ability to program the setback schedule, and in fact, all thermostat options, using the built-in web server. No need to stand in front of a teeny screen pressing odd series of buttons. I can create a large number of "daily schedules" and then have indigo switch as needed. For example, I can have a "house empty" schedule and have Indigo switch to that schedule when the house is unoccupied for some period of time - and then switch back to the appropriate daily schedule when we return.

The other reason was the robust API. Anything that can be done in the web management interface can be done via the API... Including setting the time.

Posted on
Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:41 pm
brentb offline

jay (support) wrote:
brentb wrote:

Ok, so you can do that using the actions mentioned above. Though, I should point out, if there are technical communication issues it won't help...

Jay I'm not following. Can you please clarify what you mean when you say "I can do that using the actions mentioned above". I would like to be able to remotely set the thermostat into the "program auto mode" or "time of day mode", using a control page, or via some Indigo command. Currently, If I change the thermostat mode remotely, I am unable to cycle back to that "program auto mode", so the furnace stays in the Auto mode until I get home and manually press the button on the thermostat to change the mode.

Posted on
Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Set Main Mode thermostat control action (Device Actions->Thermostat Controls->Set Main Mode) allows you to set the thermostat mode to Run Heat Program, Run Cool Program, and Run Auto Heat/Cool Program. Those correspond to the program modes that you set at the thermostat itself. Execute an action that sets it to those modes and the thermostat's program takes over.

Jay (Indigo Support)