INSTEON Thermostats

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:35 am
jimM offline

Re: INSTEON Thermostats

jay (support) wrote:
Hey Jim - I looked briefly at the docs and I think it will probably just work(™) since it uses what appears to be standard thermostat classes. I'd recommend getting one and trying it out. Send us a device report when you do even if it works. If it doesn't (or doesn't fully work) then we'll look at it to see if it just needs a simple device definition (maybe based on another similar device) or if we'll need to add some code. Then we can decide when we can get it in.

OK so my first 3 Stelpro (STZW402+) Z-Wave compatible Electronic Baseboard Thermostat units arrived yesterday and I'm still stoked lol. I had to buy a Z-stick also and finally delve into Z-wave, but hey if these 13 baseboards work in Indigo it's worth the risk, been waiting for so long for a stat like this.
I got the first unit set up this morning and included in the network, you're right Jay, it was recognized as a standard thermostat class out of the box. There obviously is functionality in the stat that's not in Indigo but that was expected. Set up and inclusion was easy peezy lol !!

Needless to say it does work, some nice tech features in what is a very simple and robust (in look and feel) baseboard stat... I am going to hook up the other 2 units on the weekend based on what I am seeing now.
Would you like me to post observations/review here (in a new post on the topic of course :) , or send them in the Device Report first?

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:20 pm
cdeggz offline

2 questions for the community on the smarthome thermostat:

1: it seems my indigo log is missing "temperature changed to" messages from the thermostat. Does the thermostat send this every time the sensed temp changes? Indigo seems to receive them randomly with big temp jumps in between

2: anybody know the thermostat's variance (or differential, or temp between compressor on and off). Is it adjustable?

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

1) We do some rate limiting in the event log to keep the log from filling up with those messages. I don't know if this is the case for you, but the real test is if Indigo is showing a different temp than the thermostat. That's the most accurate test.

2) I don't know what it is exactly and it's not adjustable.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:07 pm
rbdubz3 offline

I have an Insteon 2441TH and I am attempting to set it up to trigger a couple of Ceiling fans to go ON/OFF based on the temperature reading. Both of the Ceiling fans are connected via Insteon FanLinc. I did setup the Indigo configuration for the Thermostat to poll every 30 min (i was hoping to get the temp more frequently).

Current Indigo setup - it is pretty much modeled after the sample setup for 'Climate Control' that comes with Indigo
- Trigger ON of Insteon Fan (last speed) if 'Zone 1 temp' is 'greater than' 77 degrees F
- Trigger OFF of Insteon Fan if 'Zone 1 temp' is 'less than' 72 degrees F

At present all I see in the logs coming from the Thermostat is as follows:
Sent INSTEON "Wired Thermostat" mode request (received: all off)
Sent INSTEON "Wired Thermostat" temperature request (received: 78.5)
Sent INSTEON "Wired Thermostat" humidity request (received: 53.0)
Sent INSTEON "Wired Thermostat" setpoint request (bad value - ignored)

I see the 'temperature request' being received by Indigo, but nothing related to Zone 1. And I haven't seen anything related to my actual trigger being activated.

Any help is appreciated

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:39 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Can you take screenshots of your trigger, condition, and actions panel for one of your triggers? Attach them to a reply.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:47 am
rbdubz3 offline

thanks Jay.. See attached pics.. I believe it is pretty much the same as the out-of-the-box Climate control trigger example
Attachments
indigo-action.tiff
Action
indigo-action.tiff (70.08 KiB) Viewed 13534 times
indigo-condition.tiff
Condition
indigo-condition.tiff (63.01 KiB) Viewed 13534 times
indigo-trigger.tiff
trigger
indigo-trigger.tiff (55.76 KiB) Viewed 13534 times

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:47 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That looks fine. Are you sure that the temp is actually crossing the 77° threshold? The trigger won't fire unless the threshold is actually crossed (i.e. it won't fire when the temp changes from 77 to 78).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:22 am
rbdubz3 offline

Pretty sure I tried that a couple times but I can try again with a temp that should force it.. (i.e. GREATER THAN 60)

BTW.. What log messages should I see? I guess I was thinking maybe it was my thermostat configuration (i haven't done much but did buy it refurbished).. Should the log message indicate anything to do with 'Zone 1' ?

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You'll see the trigger firing in the Event Log for sure. Zone 1 is an internal Indigo thermostat definition to allow those thermostats that support multiple zones to show temps for each one. You won't see anything about that from the Insteon thermostats since they only have 1 temp/zone.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:51 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Ok.. seems to be working and I am seeing the trigger firing. However, I have noticed that there temperature change isn't reported that often.. Of course I do live in San Diego where the weather is pretty steady. But I have seen the thermostat moving but doesn't seem like it is reported. Maybe these Insteon thermostats are not very sensitive?

If you guys have any advice on temperature sensor devices.. I'd like to do a couple of things:
1) Auto turn Ceiling fans on/off in specific rooms .. Maybe using a sensor in these rooms?
2) Auto turn Off a room heater if the room isn't occupied and/or temp goes above a value
3) Auto turn on/off a whole house fan . This may be more complex as I need to get the temp both inside and outside the house and trigger based on temp differential.. i.e. if it is hot inside the house (above 78) and cooler outside (less than 72) turn on the fan

Posted on
Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Many Z-Wave motion sensors are actually multi-sensors that also include temp sensing, so that's one option. Another is using Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors along with an RFXrec433e and the RFXCOM plugin.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:19 pm
kyleputzier offline

Does this plugin "Indigo Thermostat Add-on" work with z-wave thermostats?

Posted on
Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:18 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

What plugin exactly? You need to post your question in the forum or thread for that plugin - this topic is to discuss Insteon thermostats.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:22 am
pgershon offline

I am having an issue with my Venstar T1900. I use the thermostat both to control heating/cooling and a humidifier. The thermostat is set to turn on the humidifier when humanity is below 35%, and it seems to work. However, Indigo always says humidity is 23%. This reading is never changing. Any ideas why? Temperature reading and heat/cool fan etc are fine. It is just humidity that is not properly being transmitted over Insteon.

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:20 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It should update. Try re-syncing it in Indigo to see if that helps.

Page 6 of 10 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10