Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am
pgershon offline

Re: INSTEON Thermostats

worked. thanks

Posted on
Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:09 pm
turtle offline

I've read through this thread and do not see anything appears to be the problem that I am having.
I have two 2441TH thermostats installed in my house. One of them works perfectly, Indigo programs it without any issues. The other one has been problematic. The first unit I installed worked fine for some time, then started refusing to be programmed, in the following log segment, the "MBR" unit is programmed without any trouble, but the "Main" unit fails:

Code: Select all
   Sent INSTEON                    "Main" turn auto on
   Error                           "Main" set heat setpoint to 70.0; send failed (no acknowledgment)
   Error                           "Main" set cool setpoint to 74.0; send failed (no acknowledgment)
   Error                           "Main" turn fan auto on; send failed (no acknowledgment)
   Sent INSTEON                    "MBR" turn auto on
   Sent INSTEON                    "MBR" set heat setpoint to 68.0
   Sent INSTEON                    "MBR" set cool setpoint to 72.0
   Sent INSTEON                    "MBR" turn fan auto on

The "Main" unit is no more than two feet away from two dual-band switches.

I decided that I had a failed unit and bought a replacement, installed it, and tried to link it with Indigo. This is typical of what happens:
Feb 2, 2017, 12:01:07 AM
   PowerLinc                       Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received module button pressed from 2C.0D.3B
   PowerLinc                       Linking - copying all links from old address to new address
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 0F.E0.94)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 2C.0D.3B, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - PowerLinc links updated
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 2C.0D.3B
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received engine version 02 from 2C.0D.3B
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending id request for device information to 2C.0D.3B
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received id request response from 2C.0D.3B
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initializing remote device "Main" (address 2C.0D.3B, firmware version 0F)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - .  reading: settings and date/time
   Error                           request for date/time not acknowledged
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initialize complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing remote device "Main" (address 2C.0D.3B, firmware version 0F)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing all links

Feb 2, 2017, 12:02:02 AM
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 0F.E0.94, flags E2, group 01, data 01 02 22
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 0F.E0.94, flags E2, group 02, data 00 52 3E

Feb 2, 2017, 12:02:22 AM
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 0F.E0.94, flags E2, group 03, data 00 52 3E

Feb 2, 2017, 12:03:02 AM
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 0F.E0.94, flags E2, group 04, data 00 52 3E

Feb 2, 2017, 12:03:55 AM
   Error                           failed to fetch data from remote module
   Error                           Linking - syncing failed
   Error                           linking failed

Feb 2, 2017, 12:04:20 AM
   PowerLinc                       Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)

I am at a loss as how to proceed.
- Thanks

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:26 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The log is showing just reading the links out is taking a very long time. This is typically a symptom of a signal problem or a faulty module. Since you are using a replacement, let's focus on signal problems. I know you said there was a dual-band switch very close, but still try using an extension cord to move the PowerLinc (temporarily) to be near the thermostat module. Can Indigo then complete the sync process? If not, copy/paste the Event Log results again of the sync.

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 pm
turtle offline

The log is showing just reading the links out is taking a very long time. This is typically a symptom of a signal problem or a faulty module. Since you are using a replacement, let's focus on signal problems. I know you said there was a dual-band switch very close, but still try using an extension cord to move the PowerLinc (temporarily) to be near the thermostat module. Can Indigo then complete the sync process? If not, copy/paste the Event Log results again of the sync.

Thanks for the response, I've been away for awhile.
I moved the PowerLinc to within 10 feet of the thermostat with no obstructions, and air-gapped the two switch devices that are on the other side of the wall from the thermostat. And I did a factory reset on the thermostat. I get pretty much the same result for all of those attempts, they vary as to when the process times out.

Some other information:
* I have another 2441TH at the other end of the house and it synced without any problems. It is about 50 feet away with several walls in between.
* I physically reinstalled the 2441TH unit I was trying to replace (because it had communication errors) and ran the "Define and Sync..." process again and it refused to be linked in the same manner (see the log below). Interestingly, it responds promptly to "Send Status Query" from the device display.
* Despite reinstalling the old unit, it still does not respond to linking or programming
* The two 2441TH are similar models - they both have the protruding "SET" button which is a characteristic of later generation thermostats. The one I had trouble with in the first post was an older model.

Feb 17, 2017, 11:29:42 AM
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 0F.E0.94)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 32.F5.7D, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - PowerLinc links updated
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 32.F5.7D
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received engine version 02 from 32.F5.7D
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending id request for device information to 32.F5.7D
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received id request response from 32.F5.7D
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initializing remote device "Main" (address 32.F5.7D, firmware version 10)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - .  reading: settings and date/time
   Error                           request for date/time not acknowledged
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initialize complete

Feb 17, 2017, 11:30:29 AM
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing remote device "Main" (address 32.F5.7D, firmware version 10)
   PowerLinc                       Unexpected command 02 22 (flushing)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing all links

Feb 17, 2017, 11:31:25 AM
   Error                           failed to fetch data from remote module
   Error                           Linking - syncing failed
   Error                           linking failed
   PowerLinc                       Linking - exited linking mode

Posted on
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:52 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Could thee be something else causing RF interference near the 2441TH location? The original event log sync you posted is showing that Indigo is occasionally able to communicate with the module but that the communication is very slow and unreliable (so eventually it fails). Syncing requires the ability to send and receive extended INSTEON commands which contain several more bytes of data. Because the command packets are longer they are much more susceptible to problems than normal commands. The thermostat communicates only via RF so if there is RF interference then that could explain why you aren't seeing the problem with other modules (like the nearby dual-band SwitchLincs).

So my suggestion would be to try unplugging anything that might be generating RF. You could also turn off all the breakers in the house except the ones controlling the Mac and the HVAC. If it then works, then you can turn on the breakers in groups to isolate where the problem is coming from.

Another possibility is that the PowerLinc is marginal and isn't able to send or receive RF correctly.

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:46 pm
rbdubz3 offline

I am looking to extend the functionality of my Insteon Wired Thermostat. Essentially, I'd like to use the Thermostat cooling mode as well as management of the 'cooling setpoint' to trigger an entirely different device (not connected to HVAC).. Rather than trigger an A/C unit wired to the thermostat, I have a separate 'Whole House Fan' (not part of HVAC) that is useful for cooling when the temperature outside is cooler than inside the house - mostly summertime morning/evening/night.

I see the useful Indigo Triggers when 'cooling setpoint' or 'cooling mode' change. At present since my thermostat isn't connected to A/C, when cooling mode is started it will simply turn on the Fan for my Heating system. Ideally I'd like the HVAC fan to remain OFF entirely for these cooling mode on/off triggers, and I'd trigger my Whole House Fan to turn On/Off (i have the fan connected to a High Watt Insteon Keypad)

BTW.. I had some fun with the 'heat setpoint' and my HVAC to create a home-grown 'learning thermostat'... Basically it saves the last 10 'heat setpoints' on a per hour basis.. Then it recalls the average at each hour of the day (also does energy saving based on occupancy).. My goal is to manage the Whole House Fan and 'cooling' in the same type of learning mode using 'cool setpoint'.

Any help appreciated!

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:50 pm
jltnol offline

Simple Script to evaluate AC Equipment State

So I'm trying to work on a python script that will evaluate whether the AC Equipment state is on, but I'm honestly stuck at square one. Usually, devices have a long list of custom states, and I understand how to evaluate those, but not with the Insteon Thermostat.

Basically,

"if the AC Equipment state is on"

the rest, I can manage, but I'm just totally lost about this python evaluation... :shock:

Posted on
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

thermostat = indigo.devices[542059519] # "Media Thermostat"
if thermostat.coolIsOn or thermostat.heatIsOn:
    # Do stuff here

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:21 pm
jltnol offline

Got it.

so basically there isn't a way to evaluate just the equipment state, but this clearly will do the same thing..

THANKS!

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:15 pm
sparker offline

Re: INSTEON Thermostats - Venstar 2441V, set points to varia

I have a Venstar 2441V that I control with "action groups" to set Away settings, comfort settings, night settings. These groups consist of three actions:
- set mode "Venstar" to auto heat/cool
- set heat setpoint "Venstar" to 50
- set cool setpoint "Venstar" to 80

When seasons change, I go hand-edit the heat and cool points.

I was wondering if there's a way I can set variables, so all I do is change variables, rather than having to edit the action group steps. Supporting this would allow me to make changes on my phone app (since you can't edit actions with the mobile app).

I can script this if required, but thought I'd ask if it was somehow supported without having to do that.

Steve

--
Steve Parker
X10 user from the early 80's
Fully converted to Insteon in 2013 (looking to migrate away now)
Proud Indigo owner since the beginning... :)

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:25 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Roughly I think this is what you want (untested):

coolVar = indigo.variables[__coolVarIDhere__]
heatVar = indigo.variables[__heatVarIDhere__]

indigo.thermostat.setCoolSetpoint(__thermoDevIDhere__, coolVar.getValue(float))
indigo.thermostat.setHeatSetpoint(__thermoDevIDhere__, heatVar.getValue(float))

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 pm
sparker offline

Thanks!!! I'll give that a try.

Steve

--
Steve Parker

Posted on
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If you don't want to write scripts, check out the advanced thermostat adjustment wiki page. It outlines a way to accomplish this that only requires variables and action groups along with an existing script (you don't have to edit it at all, just execute it).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:49 pm
sparker offline

Thanks for the tip. This looks cool! I'll dive into this one too...
jay (support) wrote:
If you don't want to write scripts, check out the advanced thermostat adjustment wiki page. It outlines a way to accomplish this that only requires variables and action groups along with an existing script (you don't have to edit it at all, just execute it).

--
Steve Parker

Posted on
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:55 am
FFS offline

Waterproof Temperature Sensor (2433A3)

Is there a way to read the Temp from the Insteon Waterproof Temperature Sensor for the Insteon Wireless Thermostat (2441ZTH)?

Page 7 of 10 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10