INSTEON Thermostats

Posted on
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON Thermostats

If they're ack'ing the command and just not performing the action, then it sounds like they're just broken. And the random changing of mode also seems to indicate that. Odd that you'd have multiple with the same issue, but perhaps they're just from a bad batch. I'd contact Smarthome.

From personal experience, I'd never use Insteon thermostats again. They've just proven to be unreliable enough that I don't trust them (there's another discussion somewhere here on the forums about what thermostats people like the best). I personally use a Trane Z-Wave thermostat that's been rock solid for the past 17 months.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:32 am
kbx81 offline

Fair enough -- I do think they're just plain broken. The thermostats at my parents are 2+ years old and the pair I recently got are less than a month old. I'm pretty confident that the firmware on them is just plain glitchy. I came home yesterday and they were indicating that they were in the Auto program "sleep" mode...at 5:30 pm. How??? That isn't programmed to kick in until l10:30. And the temperatures did not correspond to what's programmed to happen at that time, either. How are they so buggy that they can't even set the program mode & temps right locally? Soooo disappointing.

Oh well, I guess I'll go harass Smarthome/Insteon about it some. :D

Thanks!

-kbx

Posted on
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:02 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I haven't read this entire thread, so this might already be addressed but one thing to be careful of is that links haven't been accidentally added to the thermostat manually. For example, if one were to press/hold the button on the Venstar to put it into linking mode, then later you were to press-hold a button on a keypad or remote, then a link would be created for that button to recall the state of the thermostat at the time the link was created. There have been cases where users have inadvertently created links between modules, which can cause very confusing behavior. If you re-sync the thermostat in Indigo then all links in the module will be read out and shown in the Event Log and you can further inspect them in the link editor dialog to see if there are any accidental links that have been created at some point.

Posted on
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:18 pm
kbx81 offline

Hey Matt, thanks for following up. I took a look at that, too, and unfortunately it's not a case of undesired links. Even with no links defined--except for the single link between the wired & wireless thermostats--they're still behaving this way. Creating a link within Indigo to a scene also just doesn't work -- the thermostats will acknowledge the scene on or off command but they will not act on it. I linked the wired thermostat I have with a button a KeyPadLinc and that worked as expected. Even so, they still jump from mode to mode arbitrarily, which I just can't determine a reason for. :|

-kbx

Posted on
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:33 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Last thing I'd try: factory reset the wired thermo and take the batteries out of the wireless one (so it's guaranteed not to be doing anything under the covers) and disable the thermostat device in Indigo. Let the wired one run that way. If the arbitrary changes continue, then it's definitely not related to Insteon traffic.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:37 pm
kbx81 offline

Thanks Jay...I'll give that a try this weekend. I couldn't quite tell you why, but I'm suspicious of the communication between the two thermostats...

-kbx

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:24 am
captcurrent offline

This is loosely associated with this

As I imderstand it Inidigo can noyget status froma Ventstar 1700. I am trying to fidn a thermostat that I can query its actually heat or cooling set point to possibly trigge correctives action (i.e. reset out of scope set points

Is there a thermostat that indigo supports thati can do that with

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo can query setpoints from an Insteon thermostat - what it can't get is whether the unit is actually on or not (equipment status). That information is only broadcast out from the thermostat periodically and is sometimes unreliable.

AFAIK, the majority of Z-Wave thermostats report this information as well as Indigo being able to query it (the ones we've seen that don't support the correct command class are some of the European radiator controllers). Others can chime in as well.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 pm
captcurrent offline

Can you point me to info on how I can query ths Ventstar 1700 as to its current set points??

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just do a status request and Indigo will send the command, get the results, and update the thermostat. You can click the Send Status Request button in the UI and you can create a Request Full Status Update action in a Trigger, Schedule, or Action Group.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:47 pm
webdeck offline

I have 2 2441TH Insteon Thermostats, and one of them always seems to get its equipment state out of sync. It never seems to recognize when the heater turns off - it always shows the flame icon.

I figured out how to run a script to reset the equipment state in Indigo, at least. I'll have to see if how long it takes before the heater icon gets stuck on again... Here's the script in case anyone else has this problem:

Code: Select all
t = indigo.devices[396844017] # "Upstairs Thermostat"
t.updateStateOnServer(key="hvacHeaterIsOn", value="False")
t.updateStateOnServer(key="hvacCoolerIsOn", value="False")
t.updateStateOnServer(key="hvacFanIsOn", value="False")

Posted on
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:51 pm
webdeck offline

PS - here is what the log shows when I redo the define and sync - are the links correct to get the heater state updates?

Code: Select all
   PowerLinc                       Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 34.D4.F2
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received engine version 02 from 34.D4.F2
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending id request for device information to 34.D4.F2
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received id request response from 34.D4.F2
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initializing remote device "Upstairs Thermostat" (address 34.D4.F2, firmware version 10)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - .  reading: settings and date/time
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . updating: date/time to 9:49 PM
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initialize complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing remote device "Upstairs Thermostat" (address 34.D4.F2, firmware version 10)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing all links
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 41.EF.64, flags E2, group 01, data 00 52 3E
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 41.EF.64, flags E2, group 02, data 00 52 3E
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 41.EF.64, flags E2, group 03, data 00 52 3E
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 41.EF.64, flags E2, group 04, data 00 52 3E
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 41.EF.64, flags E2, group EF, data 00 52 3E
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 1
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 2
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 3
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 4
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 239
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . enabling: status change broadcasting
   PowerLinc                       Linking - comparing local and remote links
   PowerLinc                       Linking - compare complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - device "Upstairs Thermostat" links updated
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 41.EF.64)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 34.D4.F2, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - PowerLinc links updated
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, those links all look correct, and Indigo didn't have to modify or write out any new links when you did the sync. I'm not sure what is causing it to become out-of-sync.

Posted on
Thu May 17, 2018 3:26 pm
CraigM offline

Does anyone have the revision history for the 2441v?

Do all of the rev2 have the same features/reliability?

I know there was a 2.0, 2.4r [recall] and a 2.5, and I believe 2.5 was the final rev, are all 2.x's the same, or is the 2.5 the only good one?

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 3:10 pm
CraigM offline

CraigM wrote:
Does anyone have the revision history for the 2441v?

Do all of the rev2 have the same features/reliability?

I know there was a 2.0, 2.4r [recall] and a 2.5, and I believe 2.5 was the final rev, are all 2.x's the same, or is the 2.5 the only good one?

Anyone know the rev history?