Automating Smoke Interconnected Smoke Detectors

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:06 pm
agent1410 offline

Automating Smoke Interconnected Smoke Detectors

I'm wondering if there is an existing device or if someone has any recommendations on what I'm looking to do. My house has interconnected carbon monoxide detectors on each floor and smoke detectors in all of the bedrooms. I'm wondering if there is any kind of device that can text/call/email me when the fire alarm is going off in the event that it goes off while I'm not home. I'm not necessarily looking for something that will hardwire into the smoke detectors, require modifying my smoke detectors, etc. One thought that came to mind is if there is something that can detect decibel and frequency ranges, something wired in to one of the detectors with an I/O linc, or another out of the box idea like that.

Posted on
Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:11 am
ELWOOD offline

Re: Automating Smoke Interconnected Smoke Detectors

Check with the manufacuer of your smoke detectors to see if they have a compatible
detector with a built-in form c relay. If they do you can replace one of the smokes in
the house with the the smoke with the built-in relay and connect the relay contact to
an TriggerLinc 2421. Now when any detector activates the the smoke with the relay
will close and the TriggerLinc will change state. Just set up a trigger in Indigo to send
an email when that happens.

Hope that helps
Elwood

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 pm
agent1410 offline

ELWOOD, thank you for the response. I did some research and this sounds like it is the best way to go. I'm not finding any First Alert smoke detectors that have the built in form c relay. I did find a RM4 module that looks like it might work. Not sure though, what are your thoughts? http://www.brkelectronics.com/product/RM4

Posted on
Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:34 am
ELWOOD offline

agent
Looks like that should do what you want. Things to keep in mind is which smoke
detector you connect the relay and 2421 triggerLinc to. It will work on any of the
smoke detectors, but it should be one that is close to an access point for good
wireless communication. Also the relay is UL listed and can be mounted in the
splice box. The 2421 is not UL listed for use inside the splice box, but can be
mounted on the ceiling next to the smoke detector and connect the com/nc wires
from the relay to the screw terminals inside 2421. With the 2421 next to the smoke
detector it should help with the wireless reception and make changing the battery
simpler.

Elwood

Page 1 of 1