Nest Learning Thermostat

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:37 am
Aeolius offline

Nest Learning Thermostat

Anyone else curious as to how the Nest Thermostat would fit into their home automation needs?

Nest Video

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:07 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Nest Learning Thermostat

Wow... that is the most attractive thermostat I've ever seen. Their pre-order price is $249, so not cheap but maybe the price will come down a bit eventually.

We've emailed them to see if they will share any protocol information with us.

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:30 am
Rickk offline

Looks like a great device to integrate into the Indigo world!

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 pm
Korey offline

Killer! I have been waiting for a better option than the Venstars.

I'll be ordering one as soon as they are avaliable.. :D

--
Korey

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:19 pm
bschollnick2 offline

Korey wrote:
Killer! I have been waiting for a better option than the Venstars.

I'll be ordering one as soon as they are avaliable.. :D

I would just point out that the thermostat is listed as using Zigbee and Wifi. There is no guarantee that it will be able to be controlled by Indigo.... I certainly would like to see Matt be able to add it, so here's hoping that they are able to be controlled by wifi in some way...

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:30 pm
Aeolius offline

WiFi connected home automation devices... Are we looking at the beginning of a new standard?

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:49 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We've been hoping for it for a long time. The problems (cost of 802.11 hardware along with the complexity of an embedded IP stack) seem to be declining. And, as Steven Levy so astutely points out, the "Apple Influence" is spreading across the industry so hopefully we'll see a lot more of this stuff moving forward.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:20 am
Bruce Bell offline

Could this be a case for the Mac to provide the WiFi connection while running in the background?

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Not following you - can you elaborate?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:49 pm
Bruce Bell offline

I may not understand the problems associated with Indigo talking to the Nest but since there will be smartphone apps for communicating with it across the web via an end users local WiFi system (Mac with WiFi enabled or an airport, etc.) I assume that if they release the protocols, it might be possible to do the same via Indigo running in the background using the existing network hardware. Wasn't clear why there would be a cost associated with providing 802.11 hardware (embedded IP stack a whole other problem).

I know I don't understand the problems associated with this but I was simply curious if hardware was required or could it be a matter that if someone wanted this feature it would be expected that a local WiFi was a requirement and shouldn't be your problem. Most people already have one.

Since not all features of Indigo are available while the program is inactive, this would Just be another feature or function that requires a running application.

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ah. My comment above about WiFi cost was responding to the question directly above it ("WiFi connected home automation devices... Are we looking at the beginning of a new standard?"), not about the Nest thermostat specifically. It was a more general comment about device manufacturers being able to add WiFi to their hardware at a lower cost. If they can do that and provide an API, then it is significantly easier to integrate it into Indigo (and other systems).

If they don't integrate WiFi but rather use some other proprietary hardware that requires a special interface, it's much more difficult to get it integrated into Indigo. So, yes, any device that's on the local WiFi network should be accessible to Indigo pretty easily as long as the manufacturer provides an API.

Since not all features of Indigo are available while the program is inactive, this would Just be another feature or function that requires a running application.

Again, not quite following you. All functionality is available when the IndigoServer is running in the background (and it must be running unless you are using a PowerLinc in standalone mode - see below). The Mac client application (the UI) only needs to be running for configuration (and ad-hoc control if you want to do that).

If you're talking about putting a 2414 or 1132 in standalone mode, all bets are off. Those interfaces are only useful for the most basic operation when in standalone (without Indigo running) mode. You definitely can't get them to talk to arbitrary WiFi devices.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:28 pm
ryanbuckner offline

It's expensive, but looks like a much better solution than the Venstar + adapter, which approaches the same price anyway. I'm going to order one when it's available and see how it can be integrated with Indigo. I'm confident that there will be an API based on the Apple-ish philosophy behind the device. Plus, I've been through so many programmable thermostats that just simply don't do the trick. How can I program times for the thermostat without knowing what the weather will do outside, or how hot my other zones will make the house. This is going to be a welcomed addition to my smart(er) house.

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:43 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Unfortunately, we heard back from them that there is currently no API available for integration with home automation systems. We'll continue to try to work with them, but without an API it will make integration much more difficult.

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:58 am
Aeolius offline

support wrote:
Unfortunately, we heard back from them that there is currently no API available for integration with home automation systems. We'll continue to try to work with them, but without an API it will make integration much more difficult.

Seeing that they have their own iOS app for the thermostat ( http://www.nest.com/inside-and-out/index.html#connected ), I considered they might write their own home automation application if they are considering other controls. A pity, as you surmised this leads to further complications down the road. I am reminded of the Lockitron door lock app. another layer of complexity that Indigo can handle with the proper deadbolt and INSTEON device.

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:52 am
Korey offline

support wrote:

That is a shame, Such a nice looking unit, Guess I will be holding off grabbing one until something is worked/figured out. :(

--
Korey