EZFlora Stops Responding

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:44 pm
Garsun offline

EZFlora Stops Responding

I have four EZFlora's and they all stopped responding to commands after about a day. Upon further investigation I discovered a simple manual sequence that produces the same effect on all four.

From the devices window select a EZFlora device. At the bottom of the window where the pop-up menu says "all zones off" select the first zone. This will function correctly. While the zone is on select the "all zones off" from the same pop-up. This would turn off the zone. Now go back and select the first zone again and you will find that from this time on no individual zones will start up via this pop-up.
Here's what the event log looks like:

Jun 5, 2009 5:23:46 PM
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - Circle East" on (ack: valve 1 on)
Received INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North" status changed: valve 1 on

Jun 5, 2009 5:25:13 PM
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - Circle East" off (ack: all valves off)
Received INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North" status changed: all valves off
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - Circle West" off (ack: all valves off)
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - Garage" off (ack: all valves off)
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - Sandbox" off (ack: all valves off)
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - PF5" off (ack: all valves off)
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - PF6" off (ack: all valves off)
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - PF7" off (ack: all valves off)
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - PF8" off (ack: all valves off)

Jun 5, 2009 5:25:45 PM
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - Circle East" on (ack: all valves off)

Jun 5, 2009 5:26:10 PM
Sent INSTEON "Sprinkler Planter North - Circle East" on (ack: all valves off)

I am using a "PowerLinc V2 Controller" and have plugged all four EZFlora's directly into it using the pass-through outlets.

I am missing something obvious and any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. :?

Posted on
Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:49 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: EZFlora Stops Responding

It looks like something in the EZFlora firmware version you have is causing it to behave incorrectly.

My EZFlora is pretty old (firmware version 0.9). Besides working with your steps, it behaves a bit differently. Specifically, it does broadcast back to Indigo when a valve is turned off because the maximum zone duration is hit, but it does NOT broadcast back to Indigo when the valve is changed because of a command from Indigo. Here is what my Event Log shows following your steps:
Code: Select all
  Sent INSTEON       "_ezrain_ - zone1" on (ack: valve 1 on)

Jun 6, 2009 11:41:09 AM
  Sent INSTEON       "_ezrain_ - zone1" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "_ezrain_ - zone2" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "_ezrain_ - zone3" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "_ezrain_ - zone4" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "_ezrain_ - zone5" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "_ezrain_ - zone6" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "_ezrain_ - zone7" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "_ezrain_ - zone8" off (ack: all valves off)

Jun 6, 2009 11:41:32 AM
  Sent INSTEON       "_ezrain_ - zone1" on (ack: valve 1 on)

The actual valves get turned on/off correctly as well -- valve 1 is turned ON as a result of the last command sent.

What firmware version does your EZFlora show (in the Device dialog)?

Can other folks confirm what they see given Garsun's steps and report back their EZFlora firmware versions?

Posted on
Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:33 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

One additional question: when doing the test above, do you actually have a 24VAC adapter connected and it wired to the valves? I had thought the newer EZFloras would respond with "all valves off" if there wasn't really a valve wired to the EZFlora.

Posted on
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:53 pm
Garsun offline

support wrote:
What firmware version does your EZFlora show (in the Device dialog)?

Model: EZRain Irrigation Controller
Firmware: 2.4

All four units are the same :)

support wrote:
do you actually have a 24VAC adapter connected and it wired to the valves?

For my Test case the units are not connected to anything except the 110v AC pass-through outlet of the "PowerLinc V2 Controller"

When I first received the units is I did several things to learn how the units functioned. Among these were manually turning on zones and using a volt/ohm meter to see they response. I learned that the circuits are not straight make/break type.
It seems that with without the 24 V source a "OFF" zone would get a little under 1 volt AC and a "ON" circuit about 3 V AC.
With the 24 volt supply connected I received 24 votes when the circuit was on and under a vote when the circuit off (I don't really remember the off value).
When I came back to the project the next day nothing seemed to work until I unplugged and re-plugged in the units. I chalk this up to my house wiring that could be remedied easily using other units ot act like repeaters and something to phase couple with.
Still things they seem to be going well enough to continue so I attempted to replace one existing sprinter control systems and install the EZFlora.
The installation had several issues to overcome and I was never able to actually get a zone to turn on remotely.
This is why I decided take a step back and do some more extensive testing.
I reinstalled my original system and started to see if I could get the EZFlora to fail on command.

I most likely have several issues to overcome in my installation process but this doozy looks like a good starting point.
If you think that having wired valves is required for a comprehensive test then I'll work on getting an appropriate testbed setup.
If, on the other hand, it is appropriate to test with no valves connected then we can continue immediately.

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I'm really looking forward to getting this system working. :)

Posted on
Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:46 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

At this point I suspect this is a problem in the latest firmware version of the EZFlora. This sounds very similar to this problem reported on their forum:

http://simplehomenet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=642

To me it looks like the EZFlora is getting into a semi-locked up state where it isn't responding correctly to the commands. I've emailed SimpleHomeNet.com about this problem and have pointed them to both forum posts. We'll see what their thoughts on the issue are.

Posted on
Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:34 pm
Garsun offline

support wrote:
This sounds very similar to this problem reported on their forum:
http://simplehomenet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=642

Nice find, :D
Went doing research to find a replacement sprinkler system I did come across this post. Since it looked like the end result was a dead unit I decide to go ahead and give them a try. I had forgotten where I'd seen it and did not find it again when I went looking. :oops:

Even more interesting is that I actually purchased five units and the fifth one has died completely and is currently being shipped back for replacement.
If my remaining units follow the same pattern I can expect them to die completely soon :cry: .
On the plus side if it's just a firmware issue it should be easy to resolve.
I'll be waiting on the edge of my seat for the next installment :)

Posted on
Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:11 pm
tintivilus offline

(No subject)

I'm seeing this issue on my EZflora (FW 2.4) as well. I'm a little irritated that a $125 module has such a bone-headed bug, but there is an easy workaround if you're not using all your zones: I just changed my zone8 min-duration to 1, and changed my "all off" button to send "Zone 8 on" instead. Not helpful if you have 8 zones of sprinklers, but I can limp along with it until a proper fix is released.

EDIT: Just realized this only works if you have a valve hanging off the unused zone, which probably isn't too common. Anyone have any idea how much current has to be pulled from a zone for the EZflora to think there's a valve present?

Posted on
Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Try a factory rest of the EZFlora:
1) Unplug it from the outlet.

2) Wait 10 seconds.

3) Press and hold the SET button down.

4) Plug it back into the outlet WHILE continuing to hold the SET button.

5) Wait 5 seconds then release the SET button.

Then wait 10 seconds or so for it to restart. Next, use the Re-Sync links button in Indigo for your EZFlora device.

Does that help?

If not, then try the same steps above, except for step #5 wait 12 seconds. But try it with just 5 seconds first.

Let me know if that changes the behavior. Thanks.

Posted on
Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:21 pm
Randyy offline

Same problem here

I can confirm this problem with a brand new ezRain (2.4). Same symptoms. If I manually start a zone, everything works fine. But as soon as I stop the zone, everything quits working (doesn't matter what zone I do this with)

My log also shows it acknowledging "valve off" to an "on" command.

Unplugging the controller seems to work, but this is a huge pain. Any fixes in the works?

Thanks.

Posted on
Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:05 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Same problem here

Randyy wrote:
I can confirm this problem with a brand new ezRain (2.4). Same symptoms. If I manually start a zone, everything works fine. But as soon as I stop the zone, everything quits working (doesn't matter what zone I do this with)

My log also shows it acknowledging "valve off" to an "on" command.

Unplugging the controller seems to work, but this is a huge pain. Any fixes in the works?

Thanks.

We're in communication with SimpleHomeNet about this issue - we'll notify everyone on this thread when we get to the bottom of the problem. Did you try the factory reset described in the post above? We have reason to believe that may fix the problem - it'd be nice to get another 3rd party confirmation. Thanks!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:04 am
tintivilus offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
Try a factory rest of the EZFlora...

Ok. Tried the first sequence and it definitely changed the behavior, but it was still broken: After re-sync the EZFlora *always* reports "All Valves Off" to Indigo, but they actually work just fine. So I gain sprinkler functionality but lose control page feedback. harumph.

I tried the longer hold-set procedure next, and after a resync the thing seemed to completely flake out. There was maybe a 10% command handling rate, and still no feedback. I finally had to unplug the sprinkler transformer to stop the waterworks. argh!

So after staring at the thing for a while, I thought "What the hell?" and unplugged the ezflora and plugged it back in, just like I was doing before to pull it out of "sleepy" state before.

And now it works! I've got proper zone control before and after an ALL-OFF, and correct feedback to Indigo! Woo!

I'll have to wait and see how long it lasts, but right now everything seems to be behaving as intended. It's awfully wet around here at the moment so I won't be seriously exercising it for a couple of weeks.

Posted on
Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:37 pm
Randyy offline

(No subject)

My experience is SLIGHTLY different than tintivilus. To answer your question, I tried both the 5 and 12 second resets, and that totally messed it up. After resyncing and reprogramming the limits, it didn't work at all, repeatedly acknowledging off. It didn't turn on the valves though, so our experiences are different.

Like tintivilus, I let it sit overnight, simply unplugged it, waited about 20 secs and plugged back in. EEPROM is still intact, and it again works, but I'm afraid to try manually turning it on (or especially, off).

Hope this helps.

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:57 pm
Garsun offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
Try a factory rest of the EZFlora

WOW, this issue is hard to track down.
As you know I have four of these units. All four of them had the exact same issue.
I did the five second reset on the first unit and after the reset command I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. I then ran exhaustive testing on the unit and it never once gave me any problems. :D
I then installed this unit into my landscaping system and it has been working flawlessly for the last week.
Happy happy me.

I then did the exact same procedure to the second unit and alas it still fails in the same manner it did before the reset. So I then tried to 12 second reset. No change, still fails. I then went back and attempted to find the exact set of steps that would make the unit work, spent four or five hours coming up with new methods, but to no aveil.
Thinking that I had somehow made an error with the first reset procedure I then very very carefully reset my third unit. Oh well it acts as same way as a second. And of course I had to try the fourth unit thinking I might get lucky, but no luck.:cry:
So the end result is that I have one working unit and three units could still fail. The fact that I have one working gives me hope that I simply missed something in the procedure and any pointers as to what I could try next would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a log of the working unit:
Jun 12, 2009 6:30:03 PM
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Entryway" on (ack: valve 1 on)

Jun 12, 2009 6:30:25 PM
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Terrace Outer" on (ack: valve 2 on)

Jun 12, 2009 6:30:46 PM
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Terrace Outer" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Entryway" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Terrace Inner" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Slope Top" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Slope Bottom" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - GB6" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Slope Lower" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - GB8" off (ack: all valves off)

Jun 12, 2009 6:31:09 PM

Jun 12, 2009 6:31:30 PM
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Terrace Outer" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Terrace Inner" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Slope Top" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Slope Bottom" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Grass South - Slope Lower" off (ack: all valves off)

Jun 12, 2009 6:31:52 PM

Jun 12, 2009 6:32:12 PM

and here is a log of a malfunctioning unit:

Jun 12, 2009 6:35:58 PM
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - Living Room" on (ack: valve 1 on)
  Received INSTEON   "Sprinkler Planter South" status changed: valve 1 on
  Received INSTEON   "Sprinkler Planter South" status changed: valve 1 on

Jun 12, 2009 6:36:17 PM
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - Gate" on (ack: valve 2 on)
  Received INSTEON   "Sprinkler Planter South" status changed: valve 2 on

Jun 12, 2009 6:36:35 PM
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - Gate" off (ack: all valves off)
  Received INSTEON   "Sprinkler Planter South" status changed: all valves off
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - Living Room" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - Slope Top" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - PB4" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - Slop Bottom" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - PB6" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - PB7" off (ack: all valves off)
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - PB8" off (ack: all valves off)

Jun 12, 2009 6:37:02 PM
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - Living Room" on (ack: all valves off)

Jun 12, 2009 6:37:22 PM
  Sent INSTEON       "Sprinkler Planter South - Gate" on (ack: all valves off)

Both the good and the bad units are plugged in to the same location as far as I know nothing else changed between making the two logs.

Posted on
Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:52 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

For users with EZFlora / EZRain firmware 2.4 that are seeing this problem, try copy/pasting this into the Script Editor application and running it (while IndigoServer is running):
-- Change 05.09.00 on the next line to the INSTEON address of your EZFlora!
set myEZfloraAddress to "05.09.00"

tell application "IndigoServer"
   send insteon raw cmd1 68 cmd2 10 to address myEZfloraAddress
   delay 1
   send insteon raw cmd1 68 cmd2 1 to address myEZfloraAddress
end tell

Be sure and change the INSTEON address in the first line.

This sends the raw INSTEON commands to the disable the EZFlora's automatic broadcasting of valve status changes. I'm curious if disabling that feature prevents the lock-up problem from occurring.

Important note: Re-syncing or Defining the EZFlora in Indigo will overwrite the change the script above does. So make sure you don't sync all of your links or the EZFlora after running the script. This obviously is not an acceptable long term solution; at this point I'm just trying to see if the problem is related to the EZFlora's valve change broadcasting.

Let me know your results -- thanks!

Posted on
Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:13 am
Garsun offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
I'm curious if disabling that feature prevents the lock-up problem from occurring.
Let me know your results -- thanks!

:?

I'm afraid that I will not be any help for the time being.
When I went to try your suggestion I had some communications issues (which I will describe in a minute) and after resolving them, all for my EZflow units are now behaving correctly.
It's important to note that I did not do anything with the EZflows except plug them in an attempt a baseline test. I did not get to try your suggestion.

Now for brief summation of my communication issue.
My test case is to turn on "zone 1" then "zone 2" followed by "all zones off". at this point a "bad" EZFlow will fail when I attempted next turn on "zone 1" and then ignore all following commands until is power cycled.
However today I would receive a random set of errors like
Error "xxxx" status request: send failed (no acknowledgment)
where "xxxx" was the particular operation that failed and I could never complete the test case.
When doing several things to resolve this my "PowerLinc V2 USB" stopepd responding consistently to the computer. As of now I have replaced the USB cable, reloaded the software, and factory reset the "PowerLinc V2 USB" and for the last hour or so have had no further computer disconnection issues. I really do not know if something I did fixed it or it just resolved itself.
However like I said the bad news is after resolving the communications issued all three of my "bad" EZFlow's are now working without actually doing anything to them directly. I suppose it may be possible that all my issues are stemming from a flaky "PowerLinc V2 USB" however unlikely that seems. I have tried diligently to isolate my issues to a simple repeatable problem that can be analyzed and repair. I may have failed in this endeavor.

In a way my experience looks a little like tintivilus's post

I am still having this new issue of quite a few (no acknowledgment) errors with all my insteon devices but do not believe that that discussion belongs in this thread.