Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:01 pm
roussell offline

Amazon buying Ring

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:04 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Amazon buying Ring

Saw that last night. It'll be interesting to see what Amazon has up its sleeve.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:49 pm
Different Computers offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
It'll be interesting to see what Amazon has up its sleeve.

Monetizing the relationship between you and who comes to your door.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm
roussell offline

Dear Prime customer,

We just noticed that you had a package delivered to your front door that wasn’t ordered from Amazon. Was this because:

1. Better price elsewhere
2. It was a gift from someone (please state who and their address below)
3. You don’t love us anymore.
4. Something else (please explain in the comments area below

Sincerely,
Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:14 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

roussell wrote:
Dear Prime customer,

We just noticed that you had a package delivered to your front door that wasn’t ordered from Amazon. Was this because:

1. Better price elsewhere
2. It was a gift from someone (please state who and their address below)
3. You don’t love us anymore.
4. Something else (please explain in the comments area below

Sincerely,
Amazon

LMAO!

How about:

Dear Prime Member:

We noticed that a non-Amazon driver or drone has delivered your package, we disabled your doorbell because we do not believe you should be buying from anyone else. In any case we have automatically scanned the barcodes on the package and are in the process of acquiring the company you bought this from.

Sincerely,
Amazon Mergers, Acquisitions and Big Brother Department

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:44 pm
roussell offline

Nailed it!!

...or...

Using Alexa voice technology on your Amazon Ring doorbell, your recent attempted delivery of an Apple HomePod was rejected and returned to sender.

An automatic order of 2 Amazon Echo speakers has been placed and will arrive in two days. Please note that when powered on for the first time, each Echo will continually play the 80’s pop hit “Somebody’s watching me” by Rockwell until you say “Alexa, I accept.”

Thank you for using Amazon,
The Alexa team

If they buy Yale, Schlage, August, Kwikset, etc. next, we’re all screwed.

Terry

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:15 pm
kw123 offline

Raspberry pi

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:30 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Dear Amazon Client,

First we demand to know why you are not a member of Prime, while it is only $129 a year now once we get everyone hooked it will skyrocket to $1,000 a year and you must be on it or we will ban all service by Amazon and the rest of the world from working with you.

We noticed that you took delivery of a Raspberry Pi, something we have not yet acquired and something that has the potential to allow you to do things outside of the Amazon wanna-be ecosystem (Apple is better at this until we acquire them too). This is unacceptable behavior, we have triggered an automatic audit by the IRS for you and put you on the terrorist watchlist.

In case you are wondering how we know all of this, your neighbor across the street has a Ring doorbell.

Thank you for bringing yourself to our attention,
Big Brother, a division of Amazon

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

On a more serious note, seems likely the primary motivation is to bolster the Amazon Key service which currently includes a standalone cam on the inside. Having another camera on the outside would create another confirmation vector (delivery person could hold up the barcode on the box for the Ring to scan for instance).

I'll never enable that service no matter how many cameras they add, but I'm old and set in my ways. Others may be OK with it given the multiple levels of "security" (LOL).

Now, get off my lawn!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:13 pm
johnpolasek offline

Wait till you hear that they have also acquired Kwikset and linked the lock to the doorbell so they can "securely deliver" your package... whether you want them to or not.

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

johnpolasek wrote:
Wait till you hear that they have also acquired Kwikset and linked the lock to the doorbell so they can "securely deliver" your package... whether you want them to or not.

Check that link to Amazon Key above - they don't need to own Kwikset... :shock:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:01 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I'll never enable that service no matter how many cameras they add, but I'm old and set in my ways. Others may be OK with it given the multiple levels of "security" (LOL).

When I first read about that service I honestly thought it was a joke... can anyone seriously find this a good idea? And this skepticism coming from the unofficial forum "Don't Care If I am the Product" services user. About the only way I am going to allow that service is if it opened into an anteroom or something (like a common entry for a duplex maybe) with keyed doors behind. But that ain't me.

TBH, I don't see why would a delivery person even want to do this. If there were a mix-up and someone was home but didn't know/hear the entry, at least in the South, there is a high potential for a firearm being brandished.

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

RogueProeliator wrote:
TBH, I don't see why would a delivery person even want to do this. If there were a mix-up and someone was home but didn't know/hear the entry, at least in the South, there is a high potential for a firearm being brandished.

Agreed, not to mention other liabilities for someone unknown being in your house. This whole idea is, IMO, fraught with peril.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 pm
durosity offline

Give it a while and Amazon will own your house.. problem solved.

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1