UK Conservatory aircon: Mk II

Posted on
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:52 am
durosity offline

Re: UK Conservatory aircon: Mk II

It really is nice! I’ve always wanted a big conservatory! Though the thought of motorising all those blinds is scary :D

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:59 am
howartp offline

Thanks.

This is the full view in daylight.

I’d love to motorise the blinds but someone helped themselves to my RFX unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:51 am
durosity offline

What a terrible person!

(Although once again thank you SO much for that. It’s been so much more reliable than my old one ever was even before it died!)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:24 pm
howartp offline

durosity wrote:
I’ll be interested to see what you think of it. I’m considering getting an aircon unit for the living room and master bedroom this year so I might get one too if you have luck with it.

Works great!

(And Kudos to Vesternet for delivering it at lunchtime today; I only ordered it Tuesday evening!)

Appears in Indigo out of the box, straightforward inclusion, and immediately starts displaying current temperature.

Default code from the Code List didn't work but there's six listed as "General" and the 4th one of these worked. Edit device > Change code > Ok > Done.

The IR surround/burst from the unit itself was working great but I've nowhere in suitable line of sight that would have "MAF" (Mother Approval Factor) so I've pinched an IR emitter from by iTach/GlobalTech stuff which isn't currently in use and wired that in, and also borrowed my TomTom USB charger to plug the included USB cable in, which means the module is always listening, not just FLIRS (though I have to say FLIRS was very responsive as well)

All in all, we can now start using AirCon that's been in since we built the conservatory 10 years ago and hardly used cos the remote control didn't make sense so it never seemed to be doing what we thought. Now we can say "Turn on the heat to 20'C" with Indigo buttons, there can't be any confusion as to what mode it thinks it's in.

Peter

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:29 pm
durosity offline

Oh fantastic! Does it show up as a thermostat device in indigo?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:32 pm
howartp offline

Yep, normal thermostat device.

Off/Cool/Heat/Auto
Fan On/Auto
Cool Setpoint
Heat Setpoint

Request temperature, setpoints, mode or All. (But as I have it on mains power, I've set the device itself to "Every 10 minutes" rather than "Only when activity detected").

Peter

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm
durosity offline

Can it be setup to control two different AC Units or would you need to have two different devices for that?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:12 am
howartp offline

If you want both the same temps, and they’re both in view of the IR (or you wire an emitter to one and you put the unit in view of the second) then yes.

It will be one thermostat device in Indigo regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:57 am
mat offline

if your sorted thats great - not read whole thread as fleeting visit, but i control my split units via http - works flawlessly - each installed at about £1,250 - can look at models if your still interested, and could probably self install if practically minded.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:45 pm
Turribeach offline

howartp wrote:
This is the only Aircon I've come across in my research that, instead of having two/three pipes/conduits between the inside and outside units, is an entire 1-piece unit (3d cube) that slides into a 2 foot square hole through the wall from the front.

So if I remove it, there's a 2 foot howling gale to correctly block up before drilling and mounting the new one, or I've to find one that IS a 3d cube style that fits the current hole without too much packing-in.

Aesthetically if I can get one on that high wall, nobody will "see" it, we won't need to worry about whether there's a chair, table, rubbish bin or Christmas plant in front of it, and I don't need to pay a bricklayer to jump in the prickly hedge where the outside unit currently is!

Basically there are two types of Air Conditioners: Window/Through Wall or Split. Split units are more effective at cooling at room since the split unit is high and the cold air goes down naturally mixing with hot air on the way down. Panasonic claims to have a system you can control via the Internet:

https://www.aircon.panasonic.eu/GB_en/h ... t-control/