Home/Away Trigger

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:16 am
MarcoGT offline

Home/Away Trigger

Hi all,

to trigger home/away now I have these possibilities:

- talk to Siri --> inconvenient if iPhone is not in the hand
- use Tablet which hangs on the wall after the main door --> inconvenient with bags, baby and so on

Use some forms of automation, I have available

- HomeRemote app on iPhone (but geolocation could drain battery)
- UniFi AP
- fingscan

With UniFi AP I see the best possibility but need to find optimal setup for me and my WiFi

Or:

- iBeacon with rPI --> no beacon available in Europe?
- Sen.se (but not available on the store)

I could install an rPI at the main entrance, but BT needs to be always ON on iPhone (battery drain?)

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:41 am
johnpolasek offline

Re: Home/Away Trigger

I didn't have much luck with the IPhone bluetooth, geofencing, or WIFI... no matter what settings I used, it kept going to sleep (likely to keep the battery drain down as you say, which falsely set the house to Away even when we're home. . Are you sure there aren't any beacon devices available in Europe? Here in the States, they are readily available and work splendidly; I'm currently using RPis watching XY3 s simply because they are cheap and available, but I have tried several other flavors without issue.

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:50 am
ELWOOD offline

I have an alarm system and use Berkinet's AD2USB plugin. Have been using it for years work great. When leaving the house I arm the alarm in away, this triggers
indigo to set the away mode and turns off lights and resets thermostats. When returning through the entry door turns on lights as I go to the keypad and disarm
the alarm, disarm triggers a voice alert that tells me if I got a delivery when away. Also announces the outside motion count (outside motion detectors connected to the alarm)
let me know if anyone has been wondering around the outside of the house when away.
At night I arm the alarm in the stay mode. Later getting into bed I tell Alexa to turn on bed time which turns off lights and resets thermostats, if I forgot to turn the alarm
on I get an announcement "Hay you forgot to arm the alarm" and arms the alarm for me. Next morning getting out of bed I tell Alexa to turn on morning which resets the thermostats
turns on lights and disarms the alarm system.

Elwood

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:34 pm
Woetjes offline

I use the excellent piBeacon plugin and the home/away function is working perfect.
I think you can buy the XY3 beacons at Amazon.de? Make sure you order some extra batteries with it as you have to change them after a couple of months ;)

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:41 pm
Different Computers offline

I've seen zero evidence in over a year of use that Home Remote significantly affects battery life.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:18 pm
ckeyes888 offline

We've had great success using the Beacon plugin with Geofency on our phones.

Carl

Posted on
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:39 am
howartp offline

Ditto re Geofency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 1