Canary in trouble.....

Posted on
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:07 am
Busta999 offline

Canary in trouble.....

I just noticed my Canary, ‘The All in One Home Security System’ was no longer reporting security incidents...

Ie people walking were they aren’t supposed to be.

Then discovered that on 3 October 2017 the Canary company decided to down grade the functionality of all the Canary users who did not purchase the £7.99, A month Premium package .

So they bucked the trend of improving a hardware device functionality after launch with expanded functionality and decided to remove critical functionality. After all, their T&Cs allowed any change they like.

So to get the functionality back you have to now pay £7.99 a month.

The irony of it is, that in reducing the functionality it forced all their non premium customers to switch the Canarys to permanently in Away mode, massively increasing the loading on Canary servers causing massive cascading system outages for everyone, including the premium subscribers.

The last time I saw this level of complete disregard for customers was when Nokia rebranded Withings Apps and removed swathes of functionality and introduced 100s of major bugs that stopped Withings health monitoring devices from working for weeks until the issues were resolved.

I’m not that fussed about Canary, I got a great deal on it and it worked for a year and most of its functionality is being taken over in Indigo, so no great loss, really.

My frustration is that had they said upfront, in order to get the functionality advertised as free will actually cost £7.99 a month, I would not have purchased it.

But the only reason I can think this has happened was because the company is suffering a financial crisis. Forcing users to buy premium services just to maintain basic functionality, while dropping 7x24 support and experiencing high levels of outages probably means they won’t be around for much longer...

Posted on
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:25 am
bschollnick2 offline

Re: Canary in trouble.....

Busta999 wrote:
I just noticed my Canary, ‘The All in One Home Security System’ was no longer reporting security incidents...
Ie people walking were they aren’t supposed to be.
Then discovered that on 3 October 2017 the Canary company decided to down grade the functionality of all the Canary users who did not purchase the £7.99, A month Premium package .
My frustration is that had they said upfront, in order to get the functionality advertised as free will actually cost £7.99 a month, I would not have purchased it.
But the only reason I can think this has happened was because the company is suffering a financial crisis. Forcing users to buy premium services just to maintain basic functionality, while dropping 7x24 support and experiencing high levels of outages probably means they won’t be around for much longer...

I am so glad that I didn't purchase one the Canary's now. I was considering it, and looking into making a plugin for it....

- Benjamin

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:35 am
rehafer offline

Apparently, Canary did not include the cost of maintaining and storage of vast amounts of video in their business model; victims of their own success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:11 pm
Busta999 offline

rehafer wrote:
Apparently, Canary did not include the cost of maintaining and storage of vast amounts of video in their business model; victims of their own success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see no success here, for anyone.

Had the box said ‘requires subscription of £7.99 per month to operate’ I would not have paid the full price for it, or even bought it at all.

They could have easily remedied that by opening it up so you could store on your own cloud storage, Dropbox, Microsoft, iCloud.

But instead, the hardware no longer provides the functionality described on the box when purchased.

To get the functionality purchased users have to spend at least another £79 a year to get what was already paid for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1